MT10 or suspension?

Reaction score
As much as i love my MT09, being a heavy lad, I do find the suspension too soft and bouncy, So i'm looking at two options:

Maxton suspension all round, cheaper option (than the other!)

Trade-in and get an MT10 (more expensive but better long term?)

Anyone done the suspension upgrade and found it made the bike that much better? or has anyone gone from MT09 to MT10?

otaylor38

Reaction score
depends how you use the bike. If its just a weekend blast then the MT10 is good.... the tank range makes it a pain over longer trips though. The 09 is a much more practical bike.

stevierst

Reaction score
I had a go on the mt10 when I took my xsr9 in for a service. All seemed awesome with the 10 as I took it for a mandatory gentle ride for the afternoon as you do. First thing I noticed was WHEELIE!!!!!!!!!!!! In the first three gears!!!!!
It handled just as my XSR did, maybe a slight bit slower steering, and it felt heavier. Ergonomics were similar, and it was as comfy as mine........... but.

I only took it for a 70 mile ride, and the fuel light started blinking. WTF, 24mpg?????? My 3 litre jaguar does better on fuel than that!

When I took it back and collected my XSR, I felt at home again. I’ll be absolutely honest, the 9 felt just as good as the 10 up to ‘reasonable speeds’. It didn’t try to kill me every time I opened the taps, and 50 mpg felt sooooo much better!

In my humble opinion, spend a grand on suspension, you’ll end up spending that extra on fuel in 12 months if you get the 10, and your simply not gaining enough in my eyes.

Apart from that, it’s got a butt ugly face only a mother could love!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trevorleigh

Reaction score
As much as i love my MT09, being a heavy lad, I do find the suspension too soft and bouncy, So i'm looking at two options:

Maxton suspension all round, cheaper option (than the other!)

Trade-in and get an MT10 (more expensive but better long term?)

Anyone done the suspension upgrade and found it made the bike that much better? or has anyone gone from MT09 to MT10?
I have an early MT09 with MAXTON suspension all round, totally transforms the bike, and they will set it to suit your weight, I have had a couple of MT10 test rides and although it is a great bike for road use I think a nine with the suspension done is just as good. The other option of course is the new MT09SP, with the better suspension!

Reaction score
I have an early MT09 with MAXTON suspension all round, totally transforms the bike, and they will set it to suit your weight, I have had a couple of MT10 test rides and although it is a great bike for road use I think a nine with the suspension done is just as good. The other option of course is the new MT09SP, with the better suspension!
Thanks for that, I've just put my order in at Maxton so will look forward to getting it fitted and putting a review up.

I just find the triple in the '09 too nice to replace with anything else!

I did look at the SP, but as much as it's being touted with Ohlins, it's actually only the rear shock and i think a full custom maxton setup will be better than a factory ohlins / kyb setup

Lozzo

Reaction score
I'm going the Maxton route later this year. I ride fairly hard and find the standard forks and shock tie the bike in knots when I'm pushing through some of the local roads I ride regularly.

Reaction score
I thought i'd give it a few weeks and a few different rides so the review was more informed so here we go.

I got the Maxton NR4 rear shock and GP20 cartridges, both set up for my weight (in full riding gear) which was about 17.5 stone fully kitted up, they were fitted by me and have been on about a month.
Richard at Maxton was fantastic throughout, everything was explained, costs agreed and order put it. it took about three weeks for the parts to be made and I drove down for the one-day turnaround for cartridge fitting on the forks.

Since fitting i've had multiple rides, lots of commuting and since the snow, lots of very, very badly potholed yorkshire roads. I'm so glad i didn't buy an MT10...

the maxton shock raises the rear of the bike by about 15mm, it's not a lot but it does put more of your weight over the front end, it's fully adjustable back to stock height or higher if you like, i found i wanted the shock a tiny bit stiffer, so one full turn on the shock did the trick, and you get a special tool from maxton so it's way easier than adjusting the Yamaha shock.
General riding/commuting is massively improved, the bike no longer bounces and wallows, on speed bumps it absorbs the difference and settles straight away rather than bouncing back and forth, and on bumps and holes, it absorbs everything with a lovely plush firmness.
When riding with a bit more 'spirit' the bike just sinks into corners, like it's sucked to the ground, braking going into a corner is so much more settled and once the front end is compressed, it stays there, and is absolutely planted, even if the surface is a bit uneven.
I've not done any very fast riding/peg scraping due to road conditions and temperatures, but i'm absolutely confident it'll be a better experience.
Braking feels a lot nicer too as i feel i can really grab the lever now and the bike stays level and solid rather than pogo-ing back when i release.

All in all it's like a different bike, the suspension now matches the engine and riding just seems to flow so much nicer, flicking the bike around bends and left-to-right feels very fluid rather than springy.
Ok so the big one everyone will want to know.... yes, it was £1300 quid, but I now have no doubts i'll be keeping the MT09 for a long time, and with the newly fitted HH pads, I really can't think of anything i could do to make the bike better for my needs. In fact i've increased my gym and core-training to make sure i can keep up with what the bike can do!

Obviously it's a glowing recommendation for Maxton, and the only downside is the cost, but looking at that next to the cost of an upgrade - which may or may not be suited to me personally, i'd go for the improvements to the bike to make it 'mine'

Hope that helps anyone looking to upgrade (or having problems with the standard suspension) and if i can answer any questions, i'm happy to.

:D

Mikejbry

Reaction score
I had a similar decision to make and I went with a KTech Razor R on the rear instead of the NR4.

The reason being that you get a remote res with easily accessible compression damping adjustment. When reading about the NR4, the compression can only be adjusted if the spring is off? Though with Maxton knowing their stuff this shouldn't be too much of an issue with their reccomended setting. Not sure if I made the right decision as I'll likely not be able to compare with the Maxton. But my first impressions are very positive, more road miles will tell.

The forks are my next consideration, did you go for the stock fork caps and rebound adjustability in the one leg? Or new caps and rebound adjustability in both legs?

fizzy

Reaction score
I had one of the original Mt 09s 2014 model had it for nearly 3 years ,loved the bike but when I saw the mt 10sp I thought thats for me! Got myself one and had it for just over a year the suspension was top noch but the tank range , fuel consumption and fuel gauge were crap and it's a heavy old beast,so got myself a mt 09sp kept the 10 for just over 2 weeks after getting the 09sp never used it again , I totally love the 09sp its addressed the budget suspension problems of the original model and it was only £800 more than the standard bike! Bargain ��

Reaction score
I had a similar decision to make and I went with a KTech Razor R on the rear instead of the NR4.

The reason being that you get a remote res with easily accessible compression damping adjustment. When reading about the NR4, the compression can only be adjusted if the spring is off? Though with Maxton knowing their stuff this shouldn't be too much of an issue with their reccomended setting. Not sure if I made the right decision as I'll likely not be able to compare with the Maxton. But my first impressions are very positive, more road miles will tell.

The forks are my next consideration, did you go for the stock fork caps and rebound adjustability in the one leg? Or new caps and rebound adjustability in both legs?
I went for Maxton fork tops and rebound in both legs, more cost but i felt the better option as i'm keeping the bike for a good while.

After a bit more riding, I think it's worth it, loads better on uneven ground, i don't get that pogo-up-and-down after speed bumps and it feels a lot nicer through the corners.

I did consider trading up to an SP but thought a full bespoke setup would be better than standard ohlins and KYB setup, I also prefer the look of the 1st gen bikes...