MT's safe lean angle on the street?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'm not afraid to say that I've not yet leaned the MT over enough to scrape the pegs or my boot sliders even though I did almost get rid of the "chicken strips" on the old Bridgestones, (can peg slide a Supermoto on the street no problem [emoji15]). So does anyone know how far the MT can safely be leant over over on the street, assuming good tyres and good body position, are we talking peg scraping on roundabouts? Don't get me wrong I'm not interested in getting my knee down on the street or anything stupid but am very interested in where the safety limits are on this bike so I can get the most fun out of it without pushing the boundaries and stuffing myself into a hedge.

Just to add I'm well aware of the differences in correct body position between a Supermoto and a Sport/Naked bike as they can be quite different.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Stripy

Reaction score
I'd love to have the guts and go play with you on those angles, Rip! :)

Looks damn fun :p

RipGroove

Reaction score
Yamaha say it has the same lean angle as the R6....
So should anything be touching the floor at that point? Or if any hardware touches the floor have you gone too far?

Sent from my iPhone

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
I've touched pegs down on both sides, briefly, but I've also lost the back end a couple of times at lesser lean angles since I softened the suspension off, will be stiffening it back up this weekend
all on Pilot Road 4's 34/42 psi

marthy

Reaction score
I'm at the point where I touch the pegs & wear out the tips of my boots. Next step is some rearsets.

Not something I would attempt on the street.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So should anything be touching the floor at that point? Or if any hardware touches the floor have you gone too far?

Sent from my iPhone
No nothing shud be touching the deck but a little over that and u scrape the pegs lol

boro

Reaction score
Have worn off the hero blobs on mine at the track, can briefly get the pegs to touch on the road but you have got to have a real good roundabout that is clean and clear

RipGroove

Reaction score
So basically it's pretty hard to judge then. And the peg feelers shouldn't be scraping the floor?

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So basically it's pretty hard to judge then. And the peg feelers shouldn't be scraping the floor?

Sent from my iPhone
I use my knee as my "reality check"!
Basically if I hang an arse cheek off and throw a knee out, if I touch the ground that will do lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I removed the hero blobs because they have a tendency to dig in the ground (on normal roads)! and if u catch it wrong they will flip u off the bike. I've seen it done a few times.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I removed the hero blobs because they have a tendency to dig in the ground (on normal roads)! and if u catch it wrong they will flip u off the bike. I've seen it done a few times.
Ooh might take them off then.

Sent from my iPhone

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My mate snapped off half of his right peg whilst he was cranking it over on a long right hander...
It flicked up over my head lol.
He removed the blobs on the new set

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
First basic rule is to step on footpegs at the "fingers spot" of the sole, otherwise it is posible your foot's fingers touch the tarmac when turning and then the fall is sure and a cracked leg also.
So IMO we haven't to accuse the blobs as a reason of falling because then the moto-factories had to taken them off.
In stock suspension i couldn't scratch the blobs in public streets/roads.
I have done it on a Phazer 1000 '03 (yes those with 125hp and steel frame) at California Superbike School 12 years ago and is an unforgetable experience..
When i'd tried on MT in public roads i felt my front so much "light" and this isn't encourage me to try it further..
But, i believe that when i put back the ZX10 shock wich is 8mm longer than stock with a weaker spring, then the rake's defference will be better for quick cornering.
So, only then i'll try it again...
By the way, all the crown, from side to side, of my rear PR4 had touch down the tarmac, but the blobs hadn't any scratch on them.

marthy

Reaction score
I forgot about removing them on my first track day. By the second or third seesion I was getting more confident and leaning a bit more... until the peg filler dig the ground. That gave me a gpod wiggle in the turn. I pit in right away and remove took them off. Pretty close to have to change underwear too LOL

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I forgot about removing them on my first track day. By the second or third seesion I was getting more confident and leaning a bit more... until the peg filler dig the ground. That gave me a gpod wiggle in the turn. I pit in right away and remove took them off. Pretty close to have to change underwear too LOL
Hahahaha. Always a good idea to remove them lol

sigtrm

Reaction score
I'm not afraid to say that I've not yet leaned the MT over enough to scrape the pegs or my boot sliders even though I did almost get rid of the "chicken strips" on the old Bridgestones, (can peg slide a Supermoto on the street no problem [emoji15]). So does anyone know how far the MT can safely be leant over over on the street, assuming good tyres and good body position, are we talking peg scraping on roundabouts? Don't get me wrong I'm not interested in getting my knee down on the street or anything stupid but am very interested in where the safety limits are on this bike so I can get the most fun out of it without pushing the boundaries and stuffing myself into a hedge.

Just to add I'm well aware of the differences in correct body position between a Supermoto and a Sport/Naked bike as they can be quite different.

Sent from my iPhone
After one season on mt-09 I am sure that if you want to knee down suspension needs at least oil change and some guru to set it up. Springs, rear shock etc probably would be the best.
I spoke with people who are very happy after only oil change and professional setup.
With my 90kg mr-09 for me feels like transalp, bounce bounce. I did not touch suspension because I quite liked it and I do not have many corners where I ride.

YouTube