New 2017 mt09

lexinoo

Reaction score
Cmc at Cannock have some of the new mt09s in the shop.Had a good look around it yesterday and fell in love with the Matt black one.I think the new style lights and radiator covers are a nice improvement over the old bike,not too sure about the number plate thing coming off the swingarm though. Front and rear suspension felt much firmer than my 2015.
Has anyone ridden or ordered one yet or does anyone intend to?I want one but I won't be having one for a while yet .

Seadoc

Reaction score
I have a 2016 MT09 and have ordered a new one in blue after taking it for a ride. I thought it was a noticeable improvement on mine in quite a few respects.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Cmc at Cannock have some of the new mt09s in the shop.Had a good look around it yesterday and fell in love with the Matt black one.I think the new style lights and radiator covers are a nice improvement over the old bike,not too sure about the number plate thing coming off the swingarm though. Front and rear suspension felt much firmer than my 2015.
Has anyone ridden or ordered one yet or does anyone intend to?I want one but I won't be having one for a while yet .
Ride it first and then decide if you still want to buy it... as you are an owner of 2015 model, think that the gen2 is equipped with the completely uneccesary imo TC.. when i'd ridden the 2016 model, TC had very bad influence when accelerate.. no more spinnings etc when the cutting of engine ("ba-ba-ba" style) were very annoying and strange.. forget "spinning power-wheeling".
Although TC could be useful for begginers and women off cousre.. but this does not support the "main" idea of Dark-Side riding.. It suits better at Tracers.

deedaadel

Reaction score
Ride it first and then decide if you still want to buy it... as you are an owner of 2015 model, think that the gen2 is equipped with the completely uneccesary imo TC.. when i'd ridden the 2016 model, TC had very bad influence when accelerate.. no more spinnings etc when the cutting of engine ("ba-ba-ba" style) were very annoying and strange.. forget "spinning power-wheeling".
Although TC could be useful for begginers and women off cousre.. but this does not support the "main" idea of Dark-Side riding.. It suits better at Tracers.
Oh dear! Now you've gone and upset all of the female riders on here, I wouldn't like to be in your shoes. Sound like you could give Valentino a run for his money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bumpyride

Reaction score
Women and TC

Great you have your own opinion of new riders and women fair play, but as a woman we can turn off the TC if we like and ride in A mode. We can ride hard to. be riding since i was 15 for 32 years, And my job over hear was a motorcycle postie day in day out for 8+ hours a day. In heavy storms and baking sun. Just my opinion :rolleyes:

Seadoc

Reaction score
Well said, Bumpyride! As you mentioned, you can turn the TC off if you want to "power spin wheely", whatever that means.

bumpyride

Reaction score
Hey Seadoc congrats on ordering your 2017 would love to here about how you get on with it. As you own a 2016 would be good to know just how different it is. Especially the power spin wheelies if its standard or an optional extra. May be tempted to go for a test ride, Also temped to test ride the MT10.

Lexinoo if your in love with it go for it its all about the ride and the grin factor, when it makes you smile its doing its job. Im also not sure about the number plate arm but if thats all , remember you wont be looking at that to much it will grow on you. Im sure someone will bring out some type of tidy for it.

Seadoc

Reaction score
Cheers, Bumpyride! I paid a deposit yesterday and dropped off my Akra Ti to have it fitted, pick up on Saturday. The bike looks much better in the flesh than in photos IMO. A tail tidy will sort my only reservation out.

My dealer expect 3 to arrive today, all sold. ( one of each color)

I test rode the new one back to back with my 2016 and ordered the new one straight away. I would be interesting to read the professional magazine testers' opinions as I thought the new one is much improved in a number of areas.

valvestem

Reaction score
Hi All;
Anyone know if the new 2017 headlights will fit the older 09's ??
Thanks and ride safe.
valvestem

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Excuse me for the "wrong way" i was expressed my example... there are many women more skilled riders than me.. i apologise..
I was refering to the general rule: "simple is better".
Anyway, my congrats to mates who had allready ordered the gen2 09.
I'm sure that it will be better than 1st gen.

My comment is that Yamaha's designers are targeting younger riders who are used to "play" all day pressing buttons again and again.
Also there is a commercial effort to increase the bike's price.. that is a critical point for bike's sells as it become famous as a "best value for money" naked..
Personally i always ride in std mode (i almost have forgoten that my bike has mode-button) and used to enjoy it.
B mode is safe enough when rain is "meeting" me on the road..
For 35000km there aren't more than 10 times i rode it in A mode.

P.S. i don't think the addition of a "snatchy" TC is the need of 09. Instead of TC i would prefer forks cartridges and a better adjustable rear shock.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi All;
Anyone know if the new 2017 headlights will fit the older 09's ??
Thanks and ride safe.
valvestem
If they don't as standard i'll bet good money that someone will do an aftermarket modification, or Evotech/R&G etc might do a facelift kit.

and if it's an improvement on the single headlight i'd be tempted! the front is the only bit of the new MT that i kind of like...

Seadoc

Reaction score
The reason the new model has ABS and TC is due to Euro safety regulations. Here in NZ the new model is only NZ$159 more than the old model and you get some nice extra kit worth way more than the price hike, so here it is even better value.

bumpyride

Reaction score
Hey motorcycle boy, your post didnt upset me as a woman, it would take a lot more than that, i was more confused by your lack of information, I know the TC was only put on from the 2016 models but if your commenting to someone who is asking a question maybe know some facts first. They put these rider aids on and give you the choice to turn it off, I like having the options. some days on some days off, depends on the devil on my shoulder. not sure if you calling us with TC SIMPLE. :)

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Dear bumpyride,
when the truck of "MT-Tour" has visited my country last year i test-rode the '16 model which were TC equipped.
I 'd ridden the bike with tc on -1- and -2- just to feel the responce of that "new" electronic safety system.
I didh't choose to check no-tc performance as i know from my bike's behaviour how it responds and as i hadn't had so much time to spend during the test-riders group in wich i were..
So i did my test accelerating hard on dry tarmac not slippery and the bike cut the engine very-very bad. In all my efforts to give full-trottle in 1st or 2nd gear the bike were suddenly/imediatelly coughing..... "scaring" me a little and not made feel more safety at all !! I cannot imagine what could be happened if in my shoes were a more unexperienced rider..
If that "safety" system could influece the rpm-cut softly and more "balanced" maybe it's ok.. but in its first application i don't find it "usefull" as a rider.
My MT-09 is the first of my bikes with abs, i found it very safe and usefull and i admit that has had save from some crashes for sure..! But some mates here are still like to ride their bikes without abs. I can't say that they are wrong..
In conclusion i love my bike as it is.. i found the test-ride model a bit tammed, seemed more "friendly" in low rpm but no so "sharp" as mine in high rpm..
Mine is 1st gen with the standard agressive "snatchy" map and i got used to ride it.. my "problem" is that it reaches fast 225km at 5th and 6th and then it "dies".
TC gaves me a similar feeling of "die"...
The best would be when its "off" until the rider decide to engage it... maybe some testing would help.

bumpyride

Reaction score
Hey motorcycleboy, Have never ridden a 2015 but have read reviews in the past and that they had made some changes the snatchy throttle for the 2016 and adding the Nannies as some people call them, it would be really interesting to ride a 2015, 2016 then a 2017 all back to back. just to see how each one differed. we all have different views on what we like, as we get older it changes, but there is always one thing we all share is our passion and love of riding i couldnt imagine not having that. everyone who knows me thinks my bike is the most important thing to me, but my husband and family are always first. my bike is part of me and my release and freedom. unless people ride they dont understand. Take it easy ride safe. :)