New comfort seat - Shad or Yamaha ? My findings from having both.

swright

Reaction score
I can't decide between the Shad and Yamaha comfort seat :unsure:

The Yamaha one looks goods and the pillion seems to be thick and also flat. I see lots of photos with them on peoples MTs. The Yam one is also harder to get hold of so does this mean it's more popular.
The Shad looks more sporty and seems to be very popular. The pillion area seems to be rounded rather than flat and less padded.

They both have lots of mixed reviews.

Please help as I would really value you views.

Steve

the cueball

Reaction score
I have the Shad one, very comfy.

many local Yamaha dealer would not sell me the official comfort seat. Had too many complaints and now refuses to stock it.

the cueball

Reaction score
Could be. I was really into getting one, so I went to the ‘other’ Yamaha dealer that I don’t like (they don’t like me either tbh) and they even ummmed and ahhhed about getting me one.

I haven’t seen any bike in real life with one on either now that I think about it..

Johnjo

Reaction score
I've just bought a Tourtecs " whoopee cushion " for mine. Can't comment on its performance yet. It arrived, from Motea Germany, without securing straps. They're on back order until next month. When they arrive I will post up how I get on with it.

Bestbike

Reaction score

The Yamaha one looks goods and the pillion seems to be thick and also flat. I see lots of photos with them on peoples MTs. The Yam one is also harder to get hold of so does this mean it's more popular.
The Shad looks more sporty and seems to be very popular. The pillion area seems to be rounded rather than flat and less padded.

Steve
I have bought a Shad seat for My MT09. It is very comfortable and looks excellent on the motorcycle.

Stanno

Reaction score

Steve
I had the standard and comfort Yamaha seat but ended with a shad which is better than the Yamaha, some people use the street tracker but it adds a few inches to the hieght

D

Deleted member 4068

I eventually went for the Bagster seat. Much better than the original but cannot say how it compares to the Shad.

don67

Reaction score
The Yamaha comfort seat eliminates the forward slope and adds critical padding for rider and pillion. It's a must-have in that sense.

On the downside it's surprisingly firm, even after a full season of break-in. It's also noticeably taller, which is either good or bad depending on one's inseam. The added height also reduces the calm I'd previously found with my MRI racing shield.

swright

Reaction score
Thought I would give an update to my replacement seat mission just in case there is someone else out there who is thinking of changing the stock seat and can't decide between the Shad and the Yamaha.
I was lucky enough to get both a Shad seat and a Yamaha comfort seat cheap to allow me to evaluate them against each other and to see which would be best for me and the missus.
Shad seat - same ride height as the stock and nice comfortable, if not maybe too soft, feel and to ride on. Due to this softness you sort of sink into the seat and don't feel you are be pushed towards the tank like with the OEM one. The pillion comfort is better than the standard but not a plush armchair due to the sleek styling.
Yamaha - higher ride height than standard / Shad. I have a 30 inch leg and with it I am front of the foot when on the bike rather than feet flat when on OEM / Shad. You do feel in a more upright position due to this and you don't get pushed towards the tank at all (actually the opposite). The back part of the rider section stops you sliding backwards and feels comfortable to be against. The pillions comfort is very good. More padding than the Shad and higher and slightly wider.
The missus was in no doubt the Yamaha one was more comfortable. That combined with a 80mm MFW lowering kit, she is now a happier pillion.
So which am I going to keep ....... both I think! The Shad is great for rider only blasts. It is comfy and looks stylish on the bike. The Yamaha is not as attractive due to being thicker but is definitely the best for two up riding trips.
Hope this helps someone.
Steve

Last edited:

Pool Boy

Reaction score
I have a flat, Street Rally seat for sale on eBay - item number 203513159853
Good condition, £75 + carriage if required
2014 - 2017 models
Part number 1RC-247CO-20

Peeltheorange

Reaction score
hello, just joined the forum .. has anyone gone with the rebuild approach with elite comfort ? sounds like they can customise to what you prefer but would be interested to hear anyones experience with them