New member with warranty question.

KGnor

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im Kim from Norway! Traded in my 2002 Yamaha XT600e this year for a brand new MT09. Im very happy with the bike so far, but i have a question in regards to warranty.

This might be asked several times before, but i cant find the answer im looking for.
I asked my dealer if i needed a power commander if i where to put on a Akrapovik exhaust( not the full racing one) and removed the DB killer, he said that i didnt need to, the air fuel sensor would adjust that accordingly.
I called another Yamaha dealer to verify this, their response was that when the DB killer is removed, the engine warranty is no longer valid. So whats correct?
I want to keep the warranty as it is 5 years in Norway.
Also one of the reasons i bought a brand new bike , was that the bike hasnt been trashed by previous owners. Engine reliability is a big thing for me! Im expecting this engine to last atleast 100.000km with good servicing.
So heres my question, will i reduce the longevity of the engine if i fit an unbaffled flamespitting akrapovic without refueling, if so how much?
Will the air fuel sensor modify this to any extent as my local dealer claims?
Its only the full racing system that needs powercommander according to him.
Will the power remain the same?( Im NOT looking for a power increase, but i DONT want to loose any either!) I dont want theories, so someone with the correct knowledge please answer.
Otherwise great forum!
Regards Mr.Kim*

KGnor

Reaction score
Not a singel comment on this? Are people on holiday or have i posted in the wrong section or sumthing?

fizzy

Reaction score
I have the baffle removed from mine and have had no problems with warranty work, the akrapoviç is a genuine yamaha accessorie so if they didn't want you to remove the baffle why make it possible

KGnor

Reaction score
Ok thanks for answers, i know its possible but im still not sure about how this will work out in the long run :\ This will be the only new mc i will ever buy, and a long engine life is so important to me! Question to you guys that have removed the Db killer with stock fueling, how did the sparkplugs look at service?

I will be cityriding most of the time, and i dont want the engine running to hot. You stated that Yamaha is expecting people to remove the db killer, well after a discussion with another Yamaha dealer im even more confused, as they stated that Akraexhaust without Db needs refueling, also its not very easy to remove. Theres alot of opinions on this, but when i press on WHY people are saying this and that , they cant really explain. I dont want to have engine problems(Valves, low compression etc) before hitting 25.000Km. Can someone explain abit more detailed in regards to this, maybe ease my worry!?
I drive carfully and expect a good maintained Mt09 lasting 100.000km on the same engine.

KG (Mechanical nazi)

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
if, as you say, you're a careful rider then why worry about the lack of DB killer ? if you're that bothered just put it back in when it goes into the dealer for servicing.
mine gets ridden like I stole it and it's fine, apart from the rust, oil cooler leaking coolant, rear wheel bearing failure and head stock bearing wear :/
mine is serviced by me, has done 16k miles in 14 months and is going in for a warranty claim on the oil cooler.
dealer knows I have a modified standard exhaust, it's basically a straight through pipe but looks stock, but isn't worried by it nor is he bothered that I service the bike (every 3k miles) and there's only 1 stamp in the book at 6k miles.
suppose each dealer is different but, as I said, I wouldn't worry about it, just put the DB killer back in when it goes into the dealers, they won't know any better and it won't harm the engine significantly enough to cause concern anyway.
as for engine longevity, a lady friend of mine, who rides like a hooligan, got 96k miles (150k kilometers) out of her R1 before she sold it, so 100k kilometers riding "carefully" ? should last 5 times that, not sure about the rest of the bike though :D

KGnor

Reaction score
Yeah let me put it this way, i never redline anything, also i always let my engines warm up before hard riding. I just love the unbaffled sound, the screaming and the pops!
The warranty issue is settled, my dealer said that they would remove the DBK and the warranty would remain no problems.
I wont whine much more about this, but i wonder if i leave the bike completly stock it would last 120k, but with flamespitting akra it would need engine work before 50k? Im in this for the long run, and i love to rack up miles with minimal wear and tear on my bikes\Car.
Regards from Mr KnittingClub ^^

donut

Reaction score
If you are worried about how the engine runs without the db killer then simply get it run on a dyno as that should tell you for certain.

KGnor

Reaction score
Yeah it used to be a tuning company in my city, but they went bankrupt so no one with experience is left.
No one really "knows" powercommander over here.
There seems to be so many different opinions on this, that im leaning more towards keeping it stock, as i can find no good info about how much the air fuel sensor actually adjusts the fueling, how the diag CO options actually work. Iv been on several bike forums to check this out, some claim that the Akra titanium dont need any adjustments (baffle or not) as long as the cat is in, that the map is very good from factory. Others say the bike is really not made to run Akra without baffle on a stock system, that it is possible but would lead to high excessive wear!

Even the dealers cant seem to agree, no wonder im irritated and confused :s i dont have the money or option to do dyno runs, power commandin and so on, the exhaust itself costs a small fortune, my last 3 cars costed less than the Akra.
Anyone running this setup that can tell me the colour of the sparkplugs when they did a sevice?

If not, mods are free to close this thread.

Sincerly KG

KGnor

Reaction score
Yes its an eye watering price, its like 10% the cost of the bike itself ;p I take that 5Hp increase with a pinch of salt!(Unless the fueling is sorted i guess)
Its the amazing sound thats the attraction for me.

Pardon my english, its my second language :p

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
my modified standard exhaust, it's basically a straight through pipe inside, gives 5bhp increase and cost me £5 to do the mod.
ran it on a dyno with the standard exhaust and then the modified exhaust, same dyno on the same day... standard 104bhp modified 109bhp
it sounds awesome too... imho :D

KGnor

Reaction score
ToastedBlue And you did nothing with the fueling? I hear that many dynos show a pretty lean mixture around 5000Rpm on "Stock fueling". Also i heard its damn hard to modify the stock pipe without cutting it up with an angle grinder?

ToastedBlue

Reaction score

KGnor

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this one up again, what would be the easiest way to tune the bike for unbaffled akrapovic? As mentioned earlier, i just want it running good for proper engine durability \ Reliability. Could it be changed back if i decide to put the baffle back in?
Forget dynos, dont have any in my city.
And if i get it tuned, that would remove the firespitting and popping wouldnt it? (I like popping and fire, ALOT. But a sign of bad mixture?)
I cant seem to make up my mind, this guy i heard about said stock setup burnt 2 of his valves before 20.000km unbaffled.

Another guy (Mechanic) said he serviced alot of unbaffled mt09s with stock maps and the spark plugs looked good(i.e not running to lean/hot.)
Man how should i go about this :s ?
This is my first and only new vehicle i will ever buy, i dont want to damage anything because i have a need to sound—terrorize my community.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
you really are over thinking this, just take the baffle out and ride it, any detrimental effect on the engine will be negligible, just service it regularly.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you really are over thinking this, just take the baffle out and ride it, any detrimental effect on the engine will be negligible, just service it regularly.
Couldn't have said it better myself apart from...
Flash the fooker as well