New model 2020 MT 09 SP, when and what?

Fossil

Reaction score
Hi, interested in buying a 2020 which are yet to arrive in country apparently, so/but remaining floor stock of the 2019 SP are all compliance plate before June 2019. I appreciate these are a bit cheaper on run-out but they are pretty much a new but almost 12 month old bike, yes? So unsure to wait and see what a 2020 bike may bring, or just buy a discounted 2019 now? WIth the new KTM 890 soon due, wonder if Yamaha might spice up a 2020 SP to compete. Worth waiting you think? How do you approach this? Cheers, C.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Hard to say, depends if you really need the new frills that will be on the bike and if they are worth it or if you are happy with the spec of the 2019 bike. Personally if the deal is good enough I'd consider the 2019 bike, but the dealer would have to make it worth my while.

A 2019 bike that is still 'new' can potentially be had for a good deal. Dealers are keen to shift them for obvious reasons, so maybe it's worth having a chat with a few and seeing how hard you can push, knowing you can take them to the point of them refusing as you still don't mind simply buying the 2020 model.

It could be you can push them down so far, but they may also be more generous with accessories, so you could get a fully spec'ed 2019 model cheaper than a bog standard 2020.

If the dealer isn't willing to move much, I'd maybe be happy to wait for the 2020 model to see. I bet a good few people will do the same and so I reckon a good few 2019's will be around for a while yet so no rush.

Fossil

Reaction score
Great answer. Thanks Otters! Yes, price rise would be on the cards as our dollar is worth less than 12 months ago so will cost more to land the new ones here now, so expect will be dearer and might also have new costlier tech on board.

JohnB

Reaction score
I bought a left-over 2017 MT-09 in February 2018 at a very good price at the time - £7K delivered to the door - and have no regrets. Colin Appleyard were good to deal with - and I assume the other major discounters would be as well.
The MT-09 is a good seller for Yamaha, but it is nowhere near as popular as the MT-07. One has to consider whether a global player like Yamaha needs to worry about the power hike of the latest KTMs, which are really battling with BMW and Ducati in another stupid power race for mid-sized bikes. Only Triumph have not pushed up the power for their new 900's.

If the current MT-09 SP does what you want and is a good deal, then get it. What I saved on my deal, I then spent on luggage, heated grips, engine bars, auxiliary driving lights, chain oiler etc.
OTOH if you think the MT-09 does not compete with the KTM, then go with a KTM.

Fossil

Reaction score
Thanks John. Yes, I was talking to a couple trying to do a deal before the current rego on my 07 expired but it just couldn't come together. So the heat is off a bit and the responses I got from 3 dealers was less than enticing: basically all just quoting full shop price less the Yamaha - $1000 factory bonus, and quoting a full priced Akro pipe and they wouldn't ball park a figure for my trade-in.

FJW

Reaction score
Hi, interested in buying a 2020 which are yet to arrive in country apparently, so/but remaining floor stock of the 2019 SP are all compliance plate before June 2019. I appreciate these are a bit cheaper on run-out but they are pretty much a new but almost 12 month old bike, yes? So unsure to wait and see what a 2020 bike may bring, or just buy a discounted 2019 now? WIth the new KTM 890 soon due, wonder if Yamaha might spice up a 2020 SP to compete. Worth waiting you think? How do you approach this? Cheers, C.
I'm in the same boat. What are the upgrades on the 2020. bikes?

JohnB

Reaction score
There were no mechanical upgrades on the 2020 bikes.

Fossil

Reaction score
Australian 2020s out this week for $15800 and nil difference to 2019 on the SP, and only front guard colour change to reg. model.