New MT09 ABS Owner Checking In

Chaz

Reaction score
So, hello everyone.

I sold my BMW S1000R this week as I simply could not get on with the ergonomics of the bike. Awesome bike, was just never comfortable on it. Age also doesnt help.

I test rode a MT 09 earlier this week and was then going to look at riding a Tracer, not as ugly as in the pics.

In the end Ive put a deposit down on a Deep Armour (I wanted Orange but no new stock, Im impatient) ABS model. With the free Akro, there is almost no value in buying 2nd hand. I got a bit of discount on the new price too, so happy with that. I should be collecting the bike tomorrow.

Ive asked for the 2015 ECU firmware to be flashed, I rode a 2015 bike and it was snatchy, the 2014 (my ABS bike is a 2014 bike although will be a 15 plate) will be crap. Only other issue I think will be to get a decent seat that I dont slide forward on the whole time. Other than that, not looking forward the 1000 miles of running it, lets see.

Any suggestions on comfort seats that dont cost an arm and a leg?

Also, I know there are recommended suspension settings. Im a bit of a fat bastid, any suggestions?

Will post some pics tomorrow once I collect the bike.

sigtrm

Reaction score
Gratz, deep armour. Bad news for suspension if you are heavy, front springs aren't hard, but easly fixed with ohlins oil and springs, as for rear shock wide range of solutions. But on your place I would visit suspension guru first.

Chaz

Reaction score
Gratz, deep armour. Bad news for suspension if you are heavy, front springs aren't hard, but easly fixed with ohlins oil and springs, as for rear shock wide range of solutions. But on your place I would visit suspension guru first.
Thanks. Ill try the recommended settings first and then go from there. Previously I had a Skyhook Multistrada which was very good. I dont think I ride 'hard' enough to know much more than just noting dive on braking etc. Lets see.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Welcome Chaz..

Hope you enjoy ur new bike... Have the Deep Armor as well. Having the ECU flash will tame it a bit, think urs will be done anyway... But worth reading about the aftermarket flash, your not far from the flashing guru.. And the ABS is almost ready, so I'm sure this will be announced soon.

Have they offered u the Akra titanium, it's free with any new MT09

Chaz

Reaction score
OK, just back from collecting the bike. Dealer took a bit longer than expected, bike still had to be registered and taxed. They then 'forgot' the flash to the 2015 ECU settings, so another bit of time for that. Its a lot smoother than the demo bike I rode which they told me was a 2015 bike. I dont think it was based on the comparison.

First thoughts are good, still running the bike it, it now has 27 miles on the clock or there abouts.

I have a question about the exhaust. I got the Akro pipe, its a lot louder than expected. Nice around town, might be too loud for longer distances. Not too unhappy, the standard pipe is way too silent. What I am curious about is if the bike has DB Killer fitted now or not. I asked, they said it was fitted but there is 'nothing' in the rear compartment. Ill upload some pics, can anyone confirm where the DB Killer sits in the exhaust, normally at the rear (for ease of removal)?

Chaz

Reaction score
OK, had no DB killer, found it in the box with the original exhaust. Salesman says it was fit, nevermind. Now its half in but stuck, not easy - want to ride with and see how it sounds, I think too loud without the DB killer.

bloggsy

Reaction score
Welcome Chaz..

Hope you enjoy ur new bike... Have the Deep Armor as well. Having the ECU flash will tame it a bit, think urs will be done anyway... But worth reading about the aftermarket flash, your not far from the flashing guru.. And the ABS is almost ready, so I'm sure this will be announced soon.

Have they offered u the Akra titanium, it's free with any new MT09
Akra titanium is free on all MT09s ordered in March I ordered mine in February so I don't qualify but as I cant hear the exhaust with my earplugs in I'm not to worried.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK, had no DB killer, found it in the box with the original exhaust. Salesman says it was fit, nevermind. Now its half in but stuck, not easy - want to ride with and see how it sounds, I think too loud without the DB killer.
U will need a lot of WD40 and a rubber mallet to fit that baffle for the first time. They are extremely tight

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Weird, I wonder if the dealer popped it out, mine came already fitted in the can...

Chaz

Reaction score
They hadnt installed it, at all. I think they come as separate parts. The amount of force to fit it, its not exactly removable (unless you do some grinding). So once its in, its in. Only way to easily remove is to pull the rear part of the exhaust off and hammer it out from the other side.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
They hadnt installed it, at all. I think they come as separate parts. The amount of force to fit it, its not exactly removable (unless you do some grinding). So once its in, its in. Only way to easily remove is to pull the rear part of the exhaust off and hammer it out from the other side.
They probably did you a favour, everyone comments on how hard it is too remove.

Talking to a guy a few weeks ago, he got emery cloth on his sander and skimmed a bit off..... It slides in and out perfectly... Just pops screw back in to hold in place....

Mine came like this

image.jpg

sigtrm

Reaction score
or use some magic broomstick, works like a charm:)

sigtrm

Reaction score
They probably did you a favour, everyone comments on how hard it is too remove.

Talking to a guy a few weeks ago, he got emery cloth on his sander and skimmed a bit off..... It slides in and out perfectly... Just pops screw back in to hold in place....

Mine came like this

View attachment 3019
This one is from Akrap not from Yamaha right?

Chaz

Reaction score
Ye, mine was not installed. Im torn between having it in or not. I think Ill remove it later and then clean it up for easy removal. Certainly riding in town it will be nice to make people aware that you are there. Anything like motorway or constant 70/80 mph will be tiring.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Yes, the Yahama one has laser etched, not the sticker.

Magic broom?
That's right Chaz, I wouldn't pay £970 quid for one. Bought mine last June, so been saving, ordered from Carpimoto in Italy £713 delivered.. Others who have picked there 'Free' one up, etched, had db killer fitted, and had trouble removing it.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Ye, mine was not installed. Im torn between having it in or not. I think Ill remove it later and then clean it up for easy removal. Certainly riding in town it will be nice to make people aware that you are there. Anything like motorway or constant 70/80 mph will be tiring.
Chaz, believe it or not, I didn't at first, but when your motoring it loses the loudness a bit, it's not as bad as it appears.... You soon get used to it, but I still have db killer in.... If I take it out then I will get a bit of Emery and modify so I can put it back easily....