New Old Rider

bobh

Reaction score
Just joined up, now I've chopped my MT-07 in for a more, ahem, grown-up machine - 2015 model with "free" Akra pipe.

Picked it up from On Yer Bike on Friday. That extra cylinder and a few more cc's certainly certainly makes a big difference over the smaller bike! The riding position suits my tallish frame better too. Handling is almost as effortless, and the suspension seems noticeably sportier, without being too harsh on the bumpy bits. There's a bend near where I live with a nasty dip in the middle that'll tie anything with budget suspension (including my Fazer8) up in knots, but it passed that test with flying colours.

My ears were almost bleeding by the time I got the bike home - the shop forgot to mention that they'd left the baffle out of the Akra when they swapped it over. It's now in, so progress is slightly more civilised - it did attract a bit of attention riding through a few sleepy Cotswolds villages a couple of days ago, though mostly from kids on BMX's who wanted to exchange waves - I do like to encourage potential future bikers! I wonder if maybe the side exit for the exhaust means the noise bounces off buildings more than if it came straight out the back? Whatever, it'll never get through a noise test at Castle Combe (105 Db @ 3/4 redline revs)!

Looking forward to taking it for a few more gallops on some of our brilliant, if rather bumpy, local roads. I have a screen on order - at my advanced age I do feel the chill, and the weather's not showing any signs of warming up yet. I've also fitted some bobbins from crashbobbins.com - I've always used R&G's in the past, but these seem just as well engineered - anyone else used them? And I'm wondering about a rad guard and/or fenda-extenda - that radiator looks very vulnerable - any advice?

stevecbr

Reaction score
Hi and welcome. Fitted an R&G radiator gaurd (as well as the Yamaha radiator covers) and a front fender extender as soon as I got it.
I've now done over 14000 miles and both the rad guard and fender extender have done their job

stumpy66

Reaction score
Which free akra pipe did you get Bob, mine came with the high level one, I'll never fit it. Tried to change for the low level one, Yamaha wouldn't have it:(

bobh

Reaction score
Which free akra pipe did you get Bob, mine came with the high level one, I'll never fit it. Tried to change for the low level one, Yamaha wouldn't have it:(
Low level, I guess - it fits in the same place as the original one, exhausts to the side in front of the back wheel. I wasn't offered any option - OYB ordered it from Yamaha and that's how it came.

Been for another blast today to add a few more "running-in" miles - though quite honestly I'm not really holding back at all, the thing just flies. Chicken strips are coming down, though I don't really trust cold, possibly gravelly, roads with sports tyres, so I'll do it gradually. But I'm sure the bike is capable of a lot more than I am!

stumpy66

Reaction score
image.jpg this is the standard one mine came with, I wanted the akra but in the same place, but I have to have high level one:(, it will be just sold:)

stumpy66

Reaction score
jesus, that looks the biz , I thought blue was the best colour scheme when I bought mine, but not so sure now
Cheers Davie, it was actually better than that pic, it also had r&g tail tidy on and pillion seat cover on paintedimage.jpg

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I like that colour scheme I had an FZ6 2010 model similar but with black wheels, what are you calling older rider, can you beat 67? oh and enjoy the ride.

Tedsshed

Reaction score
Low level-Hi level akra

Hi Stumpy, had the same problem with Yamaha, like you I didn't want the high level pipe just looks like an afterthought to me, however my dealer supplied the bike with the low level akra and the hi level went into stock for resale, they couldn't have been more helpful, Park Road Powerbikes not Yamaha..!!
Cheers
Ted

stumpy66

Reaction score
Hi Stumpy, had the same problem with Yamaha, like you I didn't want the high level pipe just looks like an afterthought to me, however my dealer supplied the bike with the low level akra and the hi level went into stock for resale, they couldn't have been more helpful, Park Road Powerbikes not Yamaha..!!
Cheers
Ted
I'll say that cmc at clay cross tried for me, Yamaha said hi level only, I can't fit it if I wanted as it has a tail tidy on, it has to be the standard one, which I wasn't supplied with anyway:(

bobh

Reaction score
I like that colour scheme I had an FZ6 2010 model similar but with black wheels, what are you calling older rider, can you beat 67? oh and enjoy the ride.
Do like that speedblock design, reminds me of my first Ysm - an RD400.

Sorry to say I can beat 67 by some margin. But you're as old as you feel, right?

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Very true Bob I have a tour coming up late April, Heading up to N Ireland from SW France, About 15 of us from all over the UK meeting up in Lisburn for a long weekend. This will be my first long haul on the MT09. My last long haul was on my FZ1 bringing her down from Scotland to the Costa Blanca 2 years ago. As yo say you are only as old as you feel. Mentally I am 21 but physically Osteoarthritis is telling me I am getting on a bit. Still having fun on this super lightweight MT-09.