New triumph street triple RS

Shaun64

Reaction score
I had a test ride on the new RS yesterday mainly cos I had a early R which was a great bike,before I set off on the new bike I nearly said I won't bother as the clocks have too many options,I asked the dealer to turn all the TC off but after he had shown me how to do it my eyes had glazed over! I thought I will never remember how to put it all back on so I said just leave in rode mode, is a nice bike it's quick and the suspension is much better but it's no game changer like the press are saying ,one thing that did hit me was how cold it was after being on the tracer with some wind protection ,I will be keeping the tracer.

bikeral

Reaction score
I have rode the older street and the speed, just couldn't get on with either bikes. I also rode the ST Sprint which again just couldn't get on with it. The brakes were shocking!!

donut

Reaction score
I have rode the older street and the speed, just couldn't get on with either bikes. I also rode the ST Sprint which again just couldn't get on with it. The brakes were shocking!!
In the last day or so I have test ridden both the new Street Triple RS and the 2017 MT-09.

Triumph - the suspension was good as you would expect but the brakes were a little lacking unless you had a bit of heat in them first.

It's a revvy engine with top gear only pulling about 12mph per 1000rpm while my MT is about 15/1000 I think.

Even though top is only equal to 4th/5th on the MT it still doesn't pull as well although this may be down in part to the extra 90cc on the MT and/or the fact that the RS model has it's torque higher up the rev range than the R model but I know which I prefer. It's also missing a bit of initial grunt off the line.

Despite the fact that that the Triumph has a semi cafe racer stance (no good for my back) and the MT is bolt upright I felt it easier to hold on to the Yam and imagine that if you were making progress (say 110mph/120mph plus) that you may feel it hard to hold on to and/or that the seat feels a little slippery at speed and hard to grip.

Yamaha - the new front end is much better than my15 model and felt a little lower. However this showed that the rear is still lacking somewhere.

The engine is mostly the same but seems to be missing a little initial grunt but maybe the ecu flash that Simon at S-Tec has done on mine and/or the DNA airfilter has helped.

The quick shifter on both is, for me, a bit of a gimmick and not something that I'd generally use.
ABS - well I've not locked up a wheel for years but I guess it may be handy and didn't seem to effect overall brake performance.
Traction Control - again, maybe handy but haven't had a wheel spin up on me either for years.

If I am going to spend any money it will be on improving my existing bike and treating it and myself to some new suspension some time.