Newbie from Glasgow.

N0ddie

Reaction score
Alright folks. Took delivery of my shiney new MT-09 yesterday (Race blu obviously) after debating whether to go for it.

It has replaced my Ducati Scrambler which was my first big bike since passing my test last October. Performance difference is night and day, as is the engine fuelling. Suspension felt nice and soft but I have yet to tweak it to my weight.

Had the Termigoni race exhaust on the Scrambler and really miss it already. The standard system on the MT is really quiet so I have ordered the Akrapovic carbon system to fit myself next week.

Question though. The fuelling cannot be adjusted by me on my 16 reg bike like it could on the pre-16 models. Will the bike run ok/safe with no tweaking and the Akrpovic carbon system?

chump

Reaction score
Welcome in. Yes it will be fine. You couldn't really tweak the earlier bikes properly yourself.

N0ddie

Reaction score
Still debating with myself whether to fit the pipes when they arrive next week or wait until the 1st service is outta the way.

N0ddie

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing quite loud drivetrain whine from their MT09?

Have noticed it a lot more this week as I've been wearing ear plugs. All I can hear when driving along is whine from, what I can only think, is coming from the drivetrain (Engine, gearbox? Not sure).

Is this a common trait of these bikes, something I should expect when the bike is brand new and engine still being "tight, or a problem.

It almost sounds like supercharger whine.

chump

Reaction score
check chain tension. it's way too tight from the factory.

Stavros MT

Reaction score
I only hear a whine from mine when Im low down in 6th gear, other than that the Akra drowns out everything else...

N0ddie

Reaction score
I only hear a whine from mine when Im low down in 6th gear, other than that the Akra drowns out everything else...
Its most noticeable at around 70mph in 6th gear. According to Google its quite normal ie. lots of MT09 owners have commented on the matter and say its just one of the MT09 traits. I just wanted to make sure everything was ok before I go and install my carbon Akra (Tonight hopefully) and then give the dealership an excuse not to look at a possible warranty fault when its in for its break in service in 500 miles time.

N0ddie

Reaction score
check chain tension. it's way too tight from the factory.
As I'm at work I dont have the manual to hand. What is the allowable "flex" on the chain on this bike?

chump

Reaction score
As I'm at work I dont have the manual to hand. What is the allowable "flex" on the chain on this bike?
5 - 15mm............. but then when you sit on the bike it's like a bowstring.

Stavros MT

Reaction score
Yeah from low down under load it's most noticeable but only in 6th really. Can't comment on the chain slack part tho.

N0ddie

Reaction score
So I picked up my Akra carbon system this evening and after dinner fitted it to the bike. Simple enough he says. Nightmare it ended up being.

Everything went fine but for the bracket that goes around the end car and fixes onto the supplied bracket. It just doesn't sit right regardless of what I tried to do to tweak it. Anyone else have similar fitment issues?

You can see in this pic how out it looks:

Some other pics:

N0ddie

Reaction score
So I spotted my mistake after some google image searches.

Too late and wet to take it for a test drive so the commute tomorrow will be it.

the cueball

Reaction score
Looks good, glad you got it sorted out... is it a full system or back box only....?