slap2007

Reaction score
Just joined the forum, been biking since I was 16, now 59 years old and looking to get a MT09. Currently running a FZ1s but need someting a bit lighter.

pavc

Reaction score
Welcome, I bought the tracer variant because the way it handles and the larger fuel tank than the naked mt-09, a great bike easy to handle and goes around bends easy.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Slap 2007, Welcome to the forum, I also came from an FZ1 and a few on here have as well. It was the same with me needed something a bit lighter and the MT09 is certainly a lot lighter the MT09 is 193 kg wet weight oil+fuel and the Tracer is 210kg wet weight ,oil & fuel. I have had my 09 now for nearly 2 years and love it.
Okay it is not as nifty as the FZ1 but is not slouch either. Mine is an early model 2013, so has 3 modes (B) mode wet weather ride, (STD) mode day to day and fun, (A) mode is Animal mode so hang on. On a decent twisty road there are a lot of 1 litre bikes would not get near the 09,unless there was a very talented rider onboard.
The build quality is not as good as the FZ1 but there again the FZ1 was never a cheap bike. The down side of the 09 some may say is the Suspension especially the rear, all depends what you want to do with the bike lots of owners have modded the suspension. The throttle does snatch but so did the early FZ1 so unless you had an upgrade on your FZ1 this is liveable with. It can be cured for about £250. I had the so called Yamaha re map, a bit better but not great I live with it.
As I say depends on what you want the bike for, weekend fooling around or doing a bit of touring. If the weekend fun bike is what you want the 09 will do you nicely. If you tour spend the extra and get the Tracer still a fun bike but with the bigger fuel tank 18ltrs against the 09's 14 ltrs it is better suited . I do a couple of long haul tours on my 09 which copes very well but when I come to change I will go for the Tracer. They are an excellent bike and will still keep a big grin on your face, especially when you bang it into (A) mode just remember to hang on. This is my current setup from last September I rode from SW France to N Wales and back on a ten day tour absolutely no issues with the bike at all. 20160925_113710.jpg

Val

Reaction score
Just joined the forum, been biking since I was 16, now 59 years old and looking to get a MT09. Currently running a FZ1s but need someting a bit lighter.
Hello and welcome :)

You will be amased how light is MT09. If you can afford get the new 2017 MT09 model. It has suspension improvements. Although I ride 2015 model and I am very happy with it. The handling is very sharp. It is a sport bike disguised as a naked :D