Oil Change

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
hi Lew , I've never experienced this before but I'm guessing that you might have , what bike did it happen on ? I will be changing my oil at the weekend so i'll let you know if this happens , cheers mate

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I had to do it on my Kawasaki Z1000SX on more than one occasion. I have been getting the MT09 serviced at a dealers but as I have more time on my hands will do my own services now until a big one is due.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Burp the filter???

Changed the oil and filter on my MT without issue.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
On my SX you sometimes had to do it as air got trapped in the filter body, it was only a matter of backing the filter off ever so slightly and literally you would hear it burp them re-tighten it back up again. You would then have to top the oil level up..

kernow

Reaction score
No one has mentioned it, and just on the off chance your not doing it, it's always a good idea to fill the oil filter with fresh oil prior to fitting as this will help to eliminate any air in the system, particularly in the filter itself, and thus help speed up the oil pressure on initial circulation.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
No it was a bike I had owned from new and kept for three years. It was actually a friend in the dealership I bought the bike from who was the workshop manager said to me are you aware of this procedure.
I spent my working life as a marine engineer and on large diesels you will find a vent plug at the top of the filter. So perhaps we just all assume that a nano second will solve the trapped air in a filter body.
Seeing as the filter is in the horizontal and filling the filter body with oil is not feasible I will continue to BURP the filter, each to there own.

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
oil change done at the weekend , nice straight forward job , no burping required !!!!!! ;)

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Oil change done today no burping required but as I was getting up I farted , it was touch and go as I had a really hot Vindaloo last night :rolleyes:

chump

Reaction score
No it was a bike I had owned from new and kept for three years. It was actually a friend in the dealership I bought the bike from who was the workshop manager said to me are you aware of this procedure.
I spent my working life as a marine engineer and on large diesels you will find a vent plug at the top of the filter. So perhaps we just all assume that a nano second will solve the trapped air in a filter body.
Seeing as the filter is in the horizontal and filling the filter body with oil is not feasible I will continue to BURP the filter, each to there own.
The large steam and gas turbines I work with also have vents on the oil filter housings, but I have never seen one on a car or bike oil filter. I guess they just don't need it as the filter holds so little oil, or air until it is filled.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I have owned 20+bikes over a 50 year period and the SX is the only bike I have ever had to Burp the filter on

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I recently did an oil and filter change on my MT09 using a genuine Yamaha filter and Motul 10/50 semi synthetic (4ltr) container
I did the oil change early at* 4500 miles, fecked if I am doing that again. It can run the Yamaha service advice distance now.
Oil + Filter + sump washer. €73.60. I asked the shop were they taking the piss. French do not understand taking the piss, what do you mean* Monsieur?? I did point out I was doing this job myself so take off the labour charge , feck it forget.

thegoat

Reaction score
My Xt660 has a vent for burping i just fill my filter up 2st on my MT09

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk