Oil consumption

XB12X

Reaction score
I am thinking about an MT-09. I have owned a number of non-Japanese bikes, a BMW R1100GS, KTM 950 Adv, Buell Ulysses, and they all used a fair amount of oil between oil changes. None of the Japanese bikes I've owned have used a drop. Does the MT-09 use any? I'm rather hoping not.

fizzy

Reaction score
I am thinking about an MT-09. I have owned a number of non-Japanese bikes, a BMW R1100GS, KTM 950 Adv, Buell Ulysses, and they all used a fair amount of oil between oil changes. None of the Japanese bikes I've owned have used a drop. Does the MT-09 use any? I'm rather hoping not.
Not a drop ,like all of the Japanese bikes I have owned, ,,mainly yamahas:cool:

XB12X

Reaction score
Thanks, both of you. That's the news I was hoping to hear. Some new Japanese bikes do. I'm thinking of some of the Kawasaki range, but I can't remember which ones. I take it reliability is good, too.

relz

Reaction score
I wouldn't like to rain on your parade (or actually on mine), but it seems that my bike does indeed consume oil.
Every time I near the next 10,000km mark my oil light turns on intermittently, which indicates a low oil level.

Last time during the 20,000km maintenance the mechanic said that the sensor must be over sensitive to oil level, so he just filled it up a little bit more right to the top of the viewing window. But this time, at around 29,000km (still a while to the 30,000 mark) the light started going on, so I topped it up myself.

To my surprise and dismay I added roughly about 400ml of oil!
That seems a bit much to me, for such a new bike as opposed to the Not a drop that you guys are reporting.

Should I be worried? Do you think there is something I should/could get done before my warranty expires in a couple of months?

I'm taking my bike in to the garage tomorrow morning for the 30,000km, so now is a good time to give me some advice as what to ask/demand from him :)

XB12X

Reaction score
Are you certain the bike needed so much? May you have overfilled it?

relz

Reaction score
Are you certain the bike needed so much? May you have overfilled it?
I'm not certain, I'll try to have a better look tomorrow morning.
But let's say I overdid it and the bike only required a top up of 200ml. Is that a reasonable amount to add every 10,000km?

My previous bike, and Suzuki Bandit, used to consume oil on a regular basis and required a weekly top-up. I thought brand new bikes like the MT shouldn't require any top ups.

It's not too bad to add a couple of hundred ml every 10,000km (which takes me about half a year). I just want to make sure that it doesn't indicate that something is wrong, because if it does I want it fixed under warranty.

XB12X

Reaction score
I'm sure there is nothing wrong. Some bikes, even Japanese ones, use a bit of oil. I wouldn't be surprised if yours doesn't, but 200 ml in that time is nothing. How did you run it in? I am amazed your Bandit needed a weekly top-up. How many miles did you put on it a week?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
400ml over 10k is not very much oil, you are doing a lot of miles, way more than most if us, I wouldn't be worrying over that.

relz

Reaction score
I re-checked today, and indeed the oil level is within spec (i.e. I didn't over fill it), and it took around 400 ml. Either way I asked the mechanic to have a look for leaks, or whatnot, during the maintenance today.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong. Some bikes, even Japanese ones, use a bit of oil. I wouldn't be surprised if yours doesn't, but 200 ml in that time is nothing. How did you run it in? I am amazed your Bandit needed a weekly top-up. How many miles did you put on it a week?
I'm not sure how my MT09 was run-in, I'm the second owner. Supposedly the previous owner did it by the book...

I guess my 2002 Bandit was one of the famous oil burners of the time. I usually ride around 50km a day, so that's about 250 a week.

400ml over 10k is not very much oil, you are doing a lot of miles, way more than most if us, I wouldn't be worrying over that.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I admit that I ride this bike like I stole it, and am having a great time doing it. Most of the time I'm in the high rev zone, enjoying the sound and power :cool:

Thanks.