Oil light anyone ?

tezzer

Reaction score
I have had my oil light come on (and stay on) a few times now on my 3 month old 1300 mile so far Tracer.

The first time was just after the 600 mile service at the main dealer, on a ride back from Whitby. The road has a fairly steep incline through the village of Staithes, but not Alpine or anywhere near. Glanced down and there was the light on, but may have been on since I popped a little "test" wheelie as I left Whitby itself.

Stopped the bike, put it on the centre stand, and the window immediately filled with oil, to the correct level. Restarting the engine made the oil disappear, so it was circulating, and the light went off as normal.

Another couple of times, there was nothing to provoke the light coming on, and the level is still fine.

Spoke to the dealers and all I got was a "yeah, they do that sometimes".

Anyone else had these symptoms ?

Is it as the manual says a "level" sensor, or as would normally be the case a "pressure" sensor ?

Tezzer

Reaction score
I did an oil change on mine at 2500 ish, it had supposedly been done at the dealer before i picked it up, but it felt a bit gritty so for the sake of £45 in parts i thought it best to drop it and fill it with nice new oil, i always fill to slightly over halfway.

The other day whilst out riding i stalled it and the oil light came on, i turned off and on, restarted and it was fine, but after a 40 mile run it came on again, i got to my location - a mates house and topped it up a bit leaving a tiny bit of glass at the top of the window and it's been fine since.

If you're doing a lot of stop-start riding and commuting it might be worth an oil change to keep it fresh and runny?

tezzer

Reaction score
The first time it happened was only 80 miles or so after the 1st service, so the oil was as fresh as it could be. Since then it's only done another 600 or so miles, so condition of the oil can't be the problem.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Tezzer we're abouts does the oil come to on your sight glass?,I have mine just under the top line and have no problems.

tezzer

Reaction score
Same, right below the top of the glass, hasn't moved since it was serviced.

Shaun64

Reaction score
There's a fault with sensor/switche I would take it to another Yamaha dealer,which dealership has told you they all do that shite? Cos they don't.

kernow

Reaction score
Had the same happen to me a couple of months ago, I had just done an oil and filter change all good, went to local bike night a few days later, approx twenty miles each way, and on the return journey the oil came on just after leveling off from a fairly steep decent on a duel carriageway.....:eek:. I immediately pulled in the clutch and pulled in on the hard shoulder whereupon the oil light went out after a few seconds and stayed out.......phew :)
When I arrived home I added a further 100mlof oil and it's been fine ever since, like previously mentioned it seems the oil light acts as a level indicator, as well as, I assume it also is pressure sensitive.?

kev

Reaction score
Mine came on after the first service (600 mls) but the level was low, not on the glass if the bike was level, I won't be going back to J&S at Doncaster, keep the level at the top mark and it will be ok, I did ask if it was a pressure or level warning light but they didn't know?

tezzer

Reaction score
Again this morning, got to the top of the hill from the village, and there was the light beaming away. Clutch in, key to off, then back on again and normal service resumed. Shite.

Went into the dealers this morning in Hull, but forgot they are closed Mondays.

Emailing them now, as I'm not going to put up with it.

tezzer

Reaction score
Dealer has agreed to take the bike in a week on Saturday to check / replace the sensor, so lets see if that cures it.

robin

Reaction score
I come from FJs and as far as I know most Yams oil censors are height of the oil censors not pressure censors.
If it is a steep hill or during a wheelie then the oil slides back exposing and turning the oil light on!

tezzer

Reaction score
Bikes in the dealers today, when the service manager looked at the notes he "aha-d" and said oh, straight after the service ? We have had problems with air locks and bubbles before.

tezzer

Reaction score
So, collected from the dealers, and they were in full agreement that the light WAS coming on, did so for them in a test ride, and their conclusion was what when it had it's 1st service, air was trapped in the bottom of the filter, and every now and again it would get into the lines, and cause the switch to flag up a fault.
Remedy was to take off the filter, fill it with oil, and top up as needed.