Optimate battery charger and tester

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Hi
For those who use these do you leave them connected to battery 24/7 or do you disconnect it from the bike for any length of time?
Just asking cos obviously coming up to winter now and the bike is going to be sat in the garage for longer periods.
I've always kept mine connected and switched on but wondered if anyone knew if there was any benefit in disconnecting every so often....
Cheers folks

olivierzx

Reaction score
The only difference I think will be the electricity cost.

Because I have an alarm I put it one night each week end and it's enough, at the morning the battery is full.

Without alarm I think that one night each 2 weeks will be enough.

I have done this for many years on several bikes without any problem.

My Toy

Reaction score
I leave mine connected all the time, it keeps the battery in top condition according to the blurb. Especially if like me you have an alarm fitted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flipper

Reaction score
Unless you have a conventional lead acid battery you should connect and leave it connected. That way the optimate does all its clever cycling shit to keep the battery in top condition.

If you have a conventional lead acid battery you have to remove the filling plugs. You must then check the electrolyte level every week or so in case it boils dry.

flydnb

Reaction score
Unless you have a conventional lead acid battery you should connect and leave it connected. That way the optimate does all its clever cycling shit to keep the battery in top condition.

If you have a conventional lead acid battery you have to remove the filling plugs. You must then check the electrolyte level every week or so in case it boils dry.
what battery is in the MT ?

flipper

Reaction score
Probably a modern sealed lead acid battery. Possibly a glass mat type.

Cheapy cheap replacements will likely be the refillable type.

Bon

Reaction score
Ill be putting mine on about once a week for a few hours. Always worked on the Thundercat. Mine has an alarm fitted too.
Might take it out for a spin as said by others if its mild and dry. Make sure i wash and dry off any salt after riding it out though.

Twozup

Reaction score
Just leave it plugged in until you take bike out! That's the whole purpose mate.
I bought a second hand Cetek charger off Gumtree for a tenner last year and hook it up every time I park bike up again (permanent connection to battery pokes out under seat so no hassle with lifting seat!) None of the hassle of the Optimate (my neighbour uses one) it's just plug and one button operation to trickle charge. Perfect.

Classic Street Tracker project underway for winter......

Last edited:

Twozup

Reaction score
Over complicated! Too many lights flashing and running through sequence shite that's unnecessary and expensive....
But hey if that's what floats yet boat man :)

Classic Street Tracker project underway for winter......

Chris West

Reaction score
hassle of the Optimate?
I used an Optimate 3+ on the Mrs bike.
Hooked up the battery, plugged it in and let it work its blinky light magic.
Battery fully charged the next day.
It couldn't be more hassle free unless it connected itself!
Wasn't cheap though, I think about £45

RBC

Reaction score

Hello - could you (or anyone) make comment if this is the right charger for my MT09's stock battery?

Please see their specs over the enclosed pictures:

Thank you!!

My Toy

Reaction score
I've got both my bikes hooked up to Oxford Oximisers, £20 each from t'bay. Simple led traffic light system tells me what condition the battery is in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soapy

Reaction score
I've had Optimates since they came out. Saved me a few quid. I work away two weeks at a time all year round and have both my bikes hooked up while I'm away. Never had to buy a replacement battery. IMPORTANT to be aware of one thing. Because they load test your battery every so often this does effect the electrolyte level in a Lead Acid battery. I check mine and top up with distilled water about once a year. It's not good for your battery to let the volts drop and then recharge lots of times.

flipper

Reaction score
Hello - could you (or anyone) make comment if this is the right charger for my MT09's stock battery?

Please see their specs over the enclosed pictures:

Thank you!!
I would not be putting my motorcycle battery on that charger. The battery states normal charge at 0.9A for 5 hours. That charger can deliver 10 amps and will probably screw the battery. It is designed to charge bigger car batteries.

Get a proper motorcycle battery charger. The battery is a VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid - you can just connect an Optimate or similar and leave it plugged in over winter. It will not boil dry.

RBC

Reaction score
I would not be putting my motorcycle battery on that charger. The battery states normal charge at 0.9A for 5 hours. That charger can deliver 10 amps and will probably screw the battery. It is designed to charge bigger car batteries.

Get a proper motorcycle battery charger. The battery is a VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid - you can just connect an Optimate or similar and leave it plugged in over winter. It will not boil dry.
Thank you so much [MENTION=865]flipper[/MENTION] - your reply probably saved my life right on time!!

RBC

Reaction score
New stuff's arrived:

Last edited: