Pilot road 4

Redcap

Reaction score
Hi all
This may sound a bit strange but has anyone had a bad experience with the pr4s? I fitted a pair just before I had the suspension upgraded by MCT who reworked the forks and fitted a nitron r1 rear shock. Initially I ran them at 36/36 psi , I have steadily decreased the pressure to 30/32 psi in an attempt to stomp them pattering and get a bit of feeling . I have lifted the back end 10mm to put a little more weight over the front. I still have little feeling from the front ,they do not seem to warm either . Even after spirited riding there is little heat in the tyres . My local bike mechanic recons some bikes are very tyre specific ,he sights Ducati multstradas feel the same on pr4s .However I only seem to read good things on pr4s,am I
The only person who cannot get on with them ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Shaun64

Reaction score
Why Are you running your tyre pressures so low? I would bet that's the reason why you are the only one having problems with PR4.

Redcap

Reaction score
Hi there
I am running the pressure lower because they felt too hard and seemed to patter! I hoped the lower pressure may have helped the tyres to warm up similar to dropping them at a track day. I will try them harder again to see if I am going the wrong way !
Cheers

wakers

Reaction score
Did you ride the bike after the suspension adjustments with other tyres and they felt fine ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Shaun64

Reaction score
It's your suspension that's not working correctly,when mct did your front forks did they change your springs and add another damper rod for the side that doesn't have one? .

Redcap

Reaction score
Hi there
I changed the tyres before the suspension upgrades . Had linear springs fitted new better quality oil and Darren (MCT) drilled some holes in secret locations ! Adjusted air gap that's it I think
Cheers

wakers

Reaction score
So you had issues with the tyres before the suspension mods ?

Redcap

Reaction score
Hi there
Not especially the bike was a ex demo from the dealer and the rear was squared off so I changed them to the pr4 as they had such good reviews
Cheers

wakers

Reaction score
Your issue could be suspension related rather than tyres, if the damping is too slow or too firm you could get the same issue, might not be the tyres at all. Your issues have come since you changed suspension spec and tyres and beings as everyone else seems to be more than happy with the tyres suggests the suspension is more likely the issue... Can you soften up or speed up the suspension and see if that improves your feeling...

stevecbr

Reaction score
I had a similar experience as soon as I changed the original S20's to Bridgestone BT023 back in early 2014. My symptoms were a high speed weave that started at 100mph, which got worse the faster you rode. Took it back to fitter straight away (ie within 100 miles), he checked everything, and everything was correctly balanced/fitted, and recommended I speak to Bridgestone. I had a couple of conversations with tech guy at Bridgestone, who suggested some bikes are very tyre specific, and as the BT023 werent recommended for the MT09 it was my fault for fitting them. I know other people who had them fitted never had any issues. Problem was only resolved when I went back to the S20's.
I'm currently the Pilot Road 3's, they are excellent, have currently done over 6000s miles on them with plenty of life left

Crazytown

Reaction score
I have covered about 5000 km on PR4's after a set of Pilot Power 3 wore out.
No problems at all with the PR4's, great in the wet.
I do seem to be able to lock the front more often compared to the PP3, but I guess the PP3 are a softer compound (bike has ABS)

Redcap

Reaction score
Hi All
A quick update on my pilot road 4 situation . I have changed them to Metzeler roadtec 01 ,there is simply no comparison. The roadtecs are far more supple and track the road perfectly. The pattering sensation has totally gone . Confidence in the front tyre is where it should be . I cannot believe how much better they are over the pilot4s .
If anybody fancies a set of pilot4s pm me 500 miles old perfect condition £150

thegoat

Reaction score
Hi Redcap, what pressure are you running you roadtecs on?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk