Plastic rivet things

Reaction score
I've broken a few of the pop-in plastic rivets that hold the underseat panels, i'm not really wanting my pants pulled down paying a quid each for them from Yamaha (I mean really 89p each?)

I've seen generic multi-bike-ones on ebay for a couple for quid for ten, but was unsure how well they'd fit, has anyone bought any they'd recommend?

these:

rivets.jpg

chump

Reaction score
89p - wow.

I have used ebay ones and they fit fine. They're probably made in the same factory as the OE items.

There are 2 sizes holding those panels on. They are easily removed without breaking them.

bobh

Reaction score
On the MT-07 that I had before the -09 I found that one or two of the quick rivets were too long, so they weren't holding the panels tightly together. Whether this was done at the factory or by the dealer when they did the pre-delivery prep or the first service I don't know.

But I got a selection from ebay, and they worked fine. There are several different types - the quick rivets (as in the OP's picture) are ideal if panels need to come off regularly, but there are other types that are possibly better for more permanent purposes.

Reaction score
89p - wow.

Firstly, being from Yorkshire, when i get my wallet out there are cobwebs, and secondly, it's a tiny little bit of plastic, probably costs 89p to make a thousand of them!

I'll bet the little bag and the Yamaha sticker on it cost more than the bloody plastic rivet!

Anyway, I've now got a selection off ebay and they seem to fit fine, i've got plenty of spares so if any others break or come loose i can replace them easy enough. 10x for about 2 quid.

Maybe my next purchase will be one of these:

41szkeC1JFL._SX355_.jpg

chump

Reaction score
I've got a bag of them too, because it's far quicker to them from ebay than for the local dealer to get some in from Holland.

robin

Reaction score
If you press on Yorkshire mt09lad's link you can get 40 for £1.17. They are from china so you may have to wait

Reaction score
Quick update on these:

After a good wash and detail it looks like one or two have come loose and dropped out as they're missing :(

Looks like i'll have to take a tub of vaseline and drop my pants for some Yamaha OEM ones...

Still, the cheapo ones did the job for a bit, so they can be used if nothing else is available.

Reaction score
shall we pass the hat round?
Hat?! I'm tempted to write a letter to the Daily Mail!

Not really, it's a bit annoying that they're that price EACH though. bloody 79-89p..... grumble...grumble....

download.jpg

And those candles only get lit when it's dark and cold!

Reaction score
Well, Ha! to Yamaha and their prices!

After a bit of messing about with the old vernier caliper i found that the cheap chinese rivets were 6mm, and the holes were 7mm, so after a bit of ebaying i got a pack of these:

New 20Pcs 7mm Black Hole Plastic Push Screw Rivet Fairing Panel Fixings Clips B9 | eBay

99p for a bag of 20, and the only difference i can see is that the Yamaha ones have a texture to them whereas the chinese ones are smooth, not really a big issue, anyway, the new 7mm ones fit lovely and tight and click in with no movement, my life is now complete!

Funny though isn't it; i'll happily pay lots of money for something fun, nice food, the odd bit of bling or some new kit and think nothing of it, but it boils my pee to pay over the odds for such a small, trivial bit of plastic!

Still, if anyone else breaks them....

chump

Reaction score
Well, Ha! to Yamaha and their prices!

After a bit of messing about with the old vernier caliper i found that the cheap chinese rivets were 6mm, and the holes were 7mm, so after a bit of ebaying i got a pack of these:

New 20Pcs 7mm Black Hole Plastic Push Screw Rivet Fairing Panel Fixings Clips B9 | eBay

99p for a bag of 20, and the only difference i can see is that the Yamaha ones have a texture to them whereas the chinese ones are smooth, not really a big issue, anyway, the new 7mm ones fit lovely and tight and click in with no movement, my life is now complete!

Funny though isn't it; i'll happily pay lots of money for something fun, nice food, the odd bit of bling or some new kit and think nothing of it, but it boils my pee to pay over the odds for such a small, trivial bit of plastic!

Still, if anyone else breaks them....
measure twice, buy once. not t'other way round. think how much you could have saved!!