Possible MT-09 owner

lee1980

Reaction score
Hi, Just joined, I had a Cbr500r knocked off in October, I was ok bike written off now waiting on GAP policy if it pays out, will have big deposit for new mt-09 ABS. Local dealer has them with arrow full system for about 7400.
Will get rest on yamaha finance.
I will of course need a test ride but loving it since I saw it come out last year.

Anything to look out for? Seen lots of reviews most seem to love but be careful of snatchy/jerky throttle etc.

I love the looks I had an mt-01 back in 2006 sooo wish I kept now.

Thanks

Lee.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Anything to look out for? Seen lots of reviews most seem to love but be careful of snatchy/jerky throttle etc.
welcome Lee

as it's Fowler$ (I presume) take a tyre pressure gauge to the test ride and check the chain tension too, the throttle will likely need adjusting aswell as they leave them with loads of slack which doesn't help.
and bare in mind the suspension is set at stock, which is way too soft, and needs adjusting... other than that, have a blast and don't get caught wheelying or speeding :D

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Snatchy throttle etc not a problem when re-flash done.
You go for it am sure you won't regret it. Dead easy to ride.
I've come from an R6 and wished I'd done it sooner.
A cracking bike!

lee1980

Reaction score
welcome Lee

as it's Fowler$ (I presume) take a tyre pressure gauge to the test ride and check the chain tension too, the throttle will likely need adjusting aswell as they leave them with loads of slack which doesn't help.
and bare in mind the suspension is set at stock, which is way too soft, and needs adjusting... other than that, have a blast and don't get caught wheelying or speeding :D
Sure is, lol I have had a few bikes from them in past and had issues for sure. Yea im not expecting top notch suspenders on a bike at this price. Lol will be goin slowish.

What are first and annual service costs?

Thanks

Lee

lee1980

Reaction score
Snatchy throttle etc not a problem when re-flash done.
You go for it am sure you won't regret it. Dead easy to ride.
I've come from an R6 and wished I'd done it sooner.
A cracking bike!
Thanks, I would hope if get before xmas or new year it would have latest software? Is there a way to tell?
I had a cbr500r before whilst not full on sporty I miss naked up right bikes, have loan bandit 650 heavy beast but nice to be upright.

stevecbr

Reaction score
hi and welcome, great bike I am sure you will enjoy it! suspension gets better with age. Mine is still on standard ECU, I dont think I will have reflash, I like the agressive throttle! First 600 service was £40, I had the 6000 one done last month, cost about £200.
Only advice I would give is dont fit Bridgestone BT023's!

flydnb

Reaction score
hi lee im the same as steve I haven't had the flash done either as I like the throttle , but as for you I think your bike will have the revised ecu firmware anyway as all new ones have now so you wont get any so called snatch anyway , its a great bike if you liked the torque of the mt 01 you will enjoy the 09 , its a bike that gets better the more you ride it.

lee1980

Reaction score
hi lee im the same as steve I haven't had the flash done either as I like the throttle , but as for you I think your bike will have the revised ecu firmware anyway as all new ones have now so you wont get any so called snatch anyway , its a great bike if you liked the torque of the mt 01 you will enjoy the 09 , its a bike that gets better the more you ride it.
Yea would think so be on latest, unless they have had in showroom ages. Been reading forum, cam chain tensioner and corrosion seem to be main issues, always bad reading forums on specific bike lol see all known problems. The mt-01 was awesome, 09 sounds like its very grunty for engine size and a triple always sounded best of both. Also seen a pdf of service manual for fz09 is there one for mt09?

Do you have an Akrapovic on yours? Lol

flydnb

Reaction score
Yea would think so be on latest, unless they have had in showroom ages. Been reading forum, cam chain tensioner and corrosion seem to be main issues, always bad reading forums on specific bike lol see all known problems. The mt-01 was awesome, 09 sounds like its very grunty for engine size and a triple always sounded best of both. Also seen a pdf of service manual for fz09 is there one for mt09?

Do you have an Akrapovic on yours? Lol
hi lee, cam chain should be fine on yours as the new bikes all have the revised tensioner, as for corrosion there is none on mine still looks like new but I am anal about cleaning my bikes and I don't do any bad weather riding unless caught out and I have been a few times and it cleans up nice, yes I have the akrapovic on mine .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Lee welcome to the forum.

Only thing I can suggest to u is buy some really good textiles if ur gonna ride all year round, fit a shock tube, change the seat, stiffen up the suspenders and most important of all HAVE FUN AND JUST RIDE THE BLOODY THING lol.

Oh and get it flashed so u can have some serious mental fun on her

lee1980

Reaction score
hi and welcome, great bike I am sure you will enjoy it! suspension gets better with age. Mine is still on standard ECU, I dont think I will have reflash, I like the agressive throttle! First 600 service was £40, I had the 6000 one done last month, cost about £200.
Only advice I would give is dont fit Bridgestone BT023's!
I see, better prices than cbr500r was, first 600 mile service was quoted 200-400 as new model hinda decided to do valve check!
What tyres is it likely to come with?

lee1980

Reaction score
hi lee, cam chain should be fine on yours as the new bikes all have the revised tensioner, as for corrosion there is none on mine still looks like new but I am anal about cleaning my bikes and I don't do any bad weather riding unless caught out and I have been a few times and it cleans up nice, yes I have the akrapovic on mine .
Sure hope so I guess what ever will have 2 years to get sorted to if problem. Hopefully getting a lter one be better.
Ahhh cool lol , I asked as in your sig its like in huge capitals lol

lee1980

Reaction score
Hi Lee welcome to the forum.

Only thing I can suggest to u is buy some really good textiles if ur gonna ride all year round, fit a shock tube, change the seat, stiffen up the suspenders and most important of all HAVE FUN AND JUST RIDE THE BLOODY THING lol.

Oh and get it flashed so u can have some serious mental fun on her

I ride all year round leathers so far doin ok do have goretex to though bit on tight side for those very wet days.

What will flashing do?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ride all year round leathers so far doin ok do have goretex to though bit on tight side for those very wet days.

What will flashing do?
Have a look at the "aftermarket ecu flash" thread. It tells u everything

Kinjane

Reaction score
Fowlers are my local dealer but I went to Phoenix @ Trowbridge instead. Faultless servicing so far... First service was just over £35, 6,000 mile service £150
- but prices will naturally increase over time!

They currently have a very nice low mileage Orange one that has had a load of extras thrown at it including Ohlins!

Be wary that if the bike with the deal on is old stock it may not have the latest cam chain update!

Last edited:

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
The grey Arrow'd bikes are showroom stock, any other colour will be new as they were getting 2 Orange in when I ordered mine and didn't have deep armor which is the colour bike I waited 2 weeks for them to find.
If you can get a better deal elsewhere I'd go there, including servicing as Fowlers are expensive and the "technitions" are feckless, can't check tyre pressures, adjuster nuts or chain tension during a PDI

Last edited:

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mine was one of the 1st in the country, got is october last year. Its already seem one winter, currently being used, and shows no sign of corrosion. Built wise it seems as strong as Honda's and BMW's I have owned, I have no problems with build quality.
My CCT is the original one, it did get a bit noisy around 1500 miles and finally stopped at 5000 miles, but nowhere near as bad as the honda CCT's sound!

lee1980

Reaction score
I have had issues with fowlers in past usually with servicing etc.

Is there anyway to tell from VIN age of bike or if its even 2013 etc? Would of thought not but could be if not sold many.

Was told on phone last time what had in stock and at mo, i prob want grey ABS so would have to order one in anyways and said Arrow offer is still running. Is it a Yamaha offer or dealer thing?

flydnb

Reaction score
Dealer as the arrow isnt an official part, a bit odd considering warranty issues in my opinion.