Post your suspension settings here.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Listing 61/2 on the front preload without providing info on rider weight and spring rate seems a bit pointless...

Edit :- and fork fluid viscosity :eek:

Last edited:

flipper

Reaction score
5W Silkolene and .9 springs. Preload on standard - 6.5 is it? Seems a lot better. I weigh in at just under 15 stone.

Turning to the valving next weekend which will hopefully improve low speed compression some more and further reduce dive on the brakes.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Just been reading the Bike Magazine. The tester seems to be going against the general feeling of most of the Forum for the Front Suspension settings. He has set the Front Preload at 6 1/2 rings and rebound at 1 turn from fully out. He took it round Snetterton like that and was pretty happy. Has anybody tried anything similar. I've scanned the page but you will have to zoom in to read it. Apologies if somebody has already cited it.
As i've mention my front fork settings are similar to Mike's Armitage... 6 rings sawing but full in compresion rebound.. for my 70kg.
Preload on 5 at the rear shock & full comp. rebound also....if it has slower rebound it'll be better (the slower-the better). Less bouncy.

flipper

Reaction score
If you changed your fork oil you'd see a huge improvement in rebound damping.

flipper

Reaction score
how low does the temperature get in Greece? probably not enough to make a difference.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
There is a remarkable difference.. in summer the temperature is between 30-40C (daytime) & in winter (December-February) 5-15C.
Tomorow i'll go for swim (as the 3 last days) but in Christmass i'll go for skiing at snow camps with my '07 Subaru Forester.
Wish to every mate pay a visit in Greece (Hellas) one day in his life !

Bon

Reaction score
5W Silkolene and .9 springs. Preload on standard - 6.5 is it? Seems a lot better. I weigh in at just under 15 stone.

Turning to the valving next weekend which will hopefully improve low speed compression some more and further reduce dive on the brakes.
6.5 was what PDQ measured mine at mate. Ive got 8.5 in there now and like you im "Ahem" around the 15 stone [in full riding gear officer !] and it is so much better for me. Didn't think to ask what rate of oil they put in there . They only seem to stock Silkolene in the shop though. I thought initially that they had done something with the brakes then realised that I was braking much harder due to the forks not nose diving like they did before.

flipper

Reaction score
There is a remarkable difference.. in summer the temperature is between 30-40C (daytime) & in winter (December-February) 5-15C.
Tomorow i'll go for swim (as the 3 last days) but in Christmass i'll go for skiing at snow camps with my '07 Subaru Forester.
Wish to every mate pay a visit in Greece (Hellas) one day in his life !
I spent 6 months working at a town called Lavrion about 20 years ago. What a great time and place. Fantastic people.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
confused, people keep mentioning "rebound" and "turns out", I was under the impression both front and rear had preload and compression adjustment only and the compression screw has clicks yet there's mention of "turns out".
TBH I wasn't aware, until reading this thread, that the rear shock also has compression adjustment, shitty dealer didn't mention it, although I haven't read the manual either

does the screw adjust both compression and rebound ?

As for preload, static sag on mine (standard settings) was 40mm, I've adjusted the front to 2 rings and it's stil 32mm. I can't see the last 2 rings being enough to get the rider sag anywhere near 35mm
this is going to take some getting used to and fettling... handling wise it's poles apart from my Street Triple R

Impostor1981

Reaction score
Lets face it suspension on MT is its Achilles heel, no way to set correct sag unles u weight 70 kg fully kitted. It was the same story on fz8. This is where yammie saved money. Only option is to upgrade as far as my opinion counts

flipper

Reaction score
confused, people keep mentioning "rebound" and "turns out", I was under the impression both front and rear had preload and compression adjustment only and the compression screw has clicks yet there's mention of "turns out".
TBH I wasn't aware, until reading this thread, that the rear shock also has compression adjustment, shitty dealer didn't mention it, although I haven't read the manual either

does the screw adjust both compression and rebound ?

As for preload, static sag on mine (standard settings) was 40mm, I've adjusted the front to 2 rings and it's stil 32mm. I can't see the last 2 rings being enough to get the rider sag anywhere near 35mm
this is going to take some getting used to and fettling... handling wise it's poles apart from my Street Triple R
Both front and rear have only preload and rebound adjustment. they do not have any compression adjustment.

The front rebound adjustment is only effective in the first 3/4 turn out from full in. Both ends have next to sod all in the way of compression damping.

Best thing you can do is get a proper rear shock and either revalve the right hand fork leg (left hand has no damping) or fit aftermarket cartridges.

Static sag measurements mean nothing on their own. They're only worth checking to ensure you have some static sag left after you've adjusted the rider sag. Don't aim for specific numbers - it'll fuck your head.

Twozup

Reaction score
Set to Tigger 1 (harder bounce) for summer /smooth A Roads and Tigger 2 (softer bounce) for winter greasy roads and roundabouts. Varying degrees of bounce in between.
And yes I can't afford to upgrade atm.

Classic Street Tracker project underway for winter......

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
thanks flipper
salesman told me it had compression and preload only, fuck me they're ill informed :/
not worried about static sag, I was trying to say the static sag was about where rider sag should be and only 2 rings left on preload, this bike is even more undersprung than my Street R

flipper

Reaction score
thanks flipper
salesman told me it had compression and preload only, fuck me they're ill informed :/
not worried about static sag, I was trying to say the static sag was about where rider sag should be and only 2 rings left on preload, this bike is even more undersprung than my Street R
understood mate. the rear spring rate is fine......................... but it has next to sod all damping so is still pretty useless.

there's plenty of options to suit a variety of pockets.

TerryToocan

Reaction score
MT-09 set up

Hi All.

New to this forum, having just picked up a 2014 MT-09.

Suspension.. followed some advice from others. Have also noted a massive difference to bike by forming it up.

I am 5ft 8inch. 12 stone. Front set to 2 rings showing, and full rebound minus 1/2 turn. Rear running 6 preload and rebound also full minus 1/2 turn.

Try it!! Was disappointed with bikes handling till I changed. Now very happy. (I run a mini fleet including Ducati race bikes.. MT feels much more akin to one of those now).

kernow

Reaction score
O.K. I have been riding my bike for a few weeks now with the set-up as set by the previous owner, with no idea how much he weighed etc, his set-up was pre-load position 6 of 7 on the rear shock..... rebound 1/4 turn out from full hard.
Front pre-load set with 2-rings showing, all be it with the bottom ring only just visible on each fork leg....rebound set on r/h fork leg to 1/4 turn out from full hard.

To be honest it felt pretty good apart from being a bit hard over small pot holes, rough surfaces etc. So I have had a good read through this thread and mine seems to be not far off for someone around the 12-stone mark which is pretty much where I reside, give or take a pound either way. Another thing I picked up on which was the recommend solo tyre pressures 36psi front & rear, whereas I have been riding with 36/42psi front & rear, as per handbook, so adjusted the rear tyre down to 36psi, "wow" what an improvement much more comfortable.

Today I reset the front and rear rebound to half a turn out on each from hard, going to try that for a day or two with the view of trying another 1/4 turn out on each making a full 3/4 out on each, followed eventually by a final trial of 1 full turn out from hard, pre-load setting left as is for now. I will post which I finally settle on. :confused:

kernow

Reaction score
Today I reset the front and rear rebound to half a turn out on each from hard, going to try that for a day or two with the view of trying another 1/4 turn out on each making a full 3/4 out on each, followed eventually by a final trial of 1 full turn out from hard, pre-load setting left as is for now. I will post which I finally settle on. :confused:
Conclusion: - After trying with the rebound set at 1/2 a turn out from hard, front & rear, I have to say I didn't really notice much difference from the original setting of 1/4 out from hard. So I tried the next planned adjustment of 3/4 out from hard, front & rear, definitely more noticeable now, more comfortable well for me anyhow being a pensioner. :rolleyes:

So I'm leaving as is for now, quite happy with the present settings, and as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it".!!!