R6 versus MT09

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Hi folks
Have just joined this forum as I am a R6 owner (5SL) regd 2006 and am considering changing for a new MT09. Reason for change is I am 61 years young and find that after an hour or so riding I start to get back ache etc etc and would hope that an 09 would alleviate this somewhat.
Has anyone any experience of going from an R6 to an MT09 to give me some advice please?
I did think about a MT07 but think I would miss the power I have been used to so have virtually ruled an MT07 out.
Look forward to your advices positive or negative....
Cheers folks
Tony

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 2009 R6. A couple bikes before the FZ09. Like the video shows, The FZ is a beast! I thought I wanted to go back to a super sport after getting rid of the R6. I had a FZ8 and a bandit 1200 after that. But i went ahead and got the FZ09. VERY happy with it. Much more comfy than the R6 and it pulls like crazy. When I think I want a super sport, I just crack the throttle and let the front wheel float off the ground. :) R6 could never do that for me.

I actually sat on another R6 as I was looking at the FZ09. Nope, not going back to that. And I'm only 30. I dont have a single negative about going from the R6 to FZ09. Maybe handling, but that is no biggy. I smile every time I ride the FZ.

flydnb

Reaction score
the way to look at it is, you have a much smaller power window with an r6, they are peaky engines, where as the mt has a load more torque and usable power with a bigger window.

rob5006

Reaction score
Hi folks
Have just joined this forum as I am a R6 owner (5SL) regd 2006 and am considering changing for a new MT09. Reason for change is I am 61 years young and find that after an hour or so riding I start to get back ache etc etc and would hope that an 09 would alleviate this somewhat.
Has anyone any experience of going from an R6 to an MT09 to give me some advice please?
I did think about a MT07 but think I would miss the power I have been used to so have virtually ruled an MT07 out.
Look forward to your advices positive or negative....
Cheers folks
Tony
Tony, Get yourself to Raceways in Fleetwood...not far from you...take both parts of your licence and test ride the demo which is fitted with an Akra system and has the new mapping. Give Dave or Steve a ring.....they will bend over backwards to help you....and you get to ride on a good road with fish and chips afterwards to help get rid of the 'MT09 Grin'.....well worth the trip down.

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the way to look at it is, you have a much smaller power window with an r6, they are peaky engines, where as the mt has a load more torque and usable power with a bigger window.
+1 The R6 felt like a slug under 9k rpm. It reved to over 16k though and that scream was addicting...But for street riding, it really was not usable up that high. The FZ has gobs of power whenever you want it.

marthy

Reaction score
Here me on my 2nd track day ever. The Gentleman on the R6 has been doing it for 4 years... I'll let you draw your own conclusion. Keep in mind that R6 was loaded with track goodies... I later that evening was able to keep up with another 600SS and we were nose to tail all the way up to 140 MPH. FZ09 has a ton of potential and a killer engine.

2014 Marthy's FZ09 - YouTube

Last edited:

bingowatts

Reaction score
I came from a Daytona 675 and find the MT so much more useable, and it is so much easier on your back!!

rob5006

Reaction score
I recently took the new CBR650 for a test ride..just for kicks...couldn't wait to get off it...compared to the MT09 it felt like a 50cc....no power in at all...(In comparison)

Mtpete

Reaction score
I traded in my 2002 R6 on my MT 09. I'm 31 years old and suffer no pain or discomfort on any bike, but the MT just has some kind of soul that you don't get with a supper sport I've had a zx9, gsxr-600, R1, R6, CBR 600, FZ1, CBR 1000 fire blade. And a few others but the MT is still the best!

rob5006

Reaction score
I traded in my 2002 R6 on my MT 09. I'm 31 years old and suffer no pain or discomfort on any bike, but the MT just has some kind of soul that you don't get with a supper sport I've had a zx9, gsxr-600, R1, R6, CBR 600, FZ1, CBR 1000 fire blade. And a few others but the MT is still the best!
Can't get better praise for the MT09 than that!

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Thanks all folks for your valued info. Everyone very positive which is what I wanted to hear so
I'll be paying a visit to local dealer before too long to see if I can sort something out!
Cheers and thanks again
Tony