Rear Brake not working on brand-new bike

alex2stroke

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
got my bike yesterday.
Found out today.
No leakage, reservoir 1/4 full, full brake lever travel to the stop. No braking. No warning light.

Can it happen that the system is not bled properly at the factory? ABS prob?

Will take it to the dealer but until then: any experience on that?
am just curious ...

Alex

My Toy

Reaction score
I think there has been another case of that reported on here some time ago but I can't remember what the issue was. More importantly how did the dealer not pick it up and why have they let you loose on a defective bike[emoji35]

A vee four and an inline triple, the two best sounds in motorcycling. [emoji101]

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Welcome, enjoy the bike and the forum !
If the problem was from rear abs then the abs yellow warning light must be always "on", but you wrote that it's not braking so there is something else...
Get the bike straight back to the dealer who sold it to you.
No braking is a very serious problem for a brand new bike and (hope not) could cause a serious accident/damage/injury for bike and rider.
I'm sure that dealer's mechanic could discover and fix the problem in a few minutes..

alex2stroke

Reaction score
Am on my way ...

If the problem was from rear abs then the abs yellow warning light must be always "on", but you wrote that it's not braking so there is something else...
No braking is a very serious problem for a brand new bike and (hope not) could cause a serious accident/damage/injury for bike and rider.
I'm sure that dealer's mechanic could discover and fix the problem in a few minutes..
I don't blame the dealer. We have been friends for too many years ...
1. Shit can happen
2. Even big airplanes are full of glitches, little faults and more serious issues when handed over to the user/buyer/airline.
Only after test flights with dedicated airline personell those come to surface and get corrected thereafter.

BUZZ

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes..
If I brake hard on the back the abs has a kick back which I have never experienced on other abs bikes..!
Anyone had this...normal?

offo

Reaction score
Not quite the same i know but i had my bike on the centre stand at the weekend fitting a couple of bits which were totally un related to the brake system, when i pushed the bike forward off the stand & pulled on the front brake the lever hit the bar grip & the bike kept moving, second pump was a bit better & the third pump got it back to normal.
I have had no issues riding the bike since but it did make me a tad wary!

Can't comment on the rear brake issue as i haven't used it yet.

alex2stroke

Reaction score
Problem solved

Thanks everyone!
Dealer found the bolt connecting the rear brake hose to the caliper not tightened properly-
I had found no traces of fluid leaking there. Maybe I was not checking thoroughly enough.

Returned from my 2.000 km tour revving up to 7.000, bike is in the shop for the first inspect.
Astonishing the low fuel consumption on the motorway.

In 6 th gear I found very easy numbers to memorize:
revving 4000 equals 4 Lit/100 km,
5000 = 5,
6000 = 6
7000 = 7

Windshield in highposition was best for my 170 cm
Easy cruising on country roads turned out 3,6 to 4,0 Lit/100 km

Approximate values of course.

Thanks again, Alex

Aug 10, 2015:

Bike starts weaving from 160 kph to 180 kph depending on head- or tailwind.
Yamaha agree to know this but they are unwilling to alter details of the bike.
Now this pisses me off, because that is my normal cruise speed on longer trips.

Has anyone readers a remedy for it?
Like swapping tires, springs and shocks? With results?

I copy this to a new thread.

Alex

Last edited:

5li3eri3e

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes..
If I brake hard on the back the abs has a kick back which I have never experienced on other abs bikes..!
Anyone had this...normal?
Hey ! Iv just noticed exactly the same thing today. Initially I thought something, possibly the stand was hitting my foot. Quite a lot of feedback and a lot of noise too. Seems a bit TOO much feedback imo. You found anything out yet ? I could do with rising another tracer for a comparison.