Rear sprocket thingy

marksim

Reaction score
Maybe been abit daft here,
but whats the black ring guard thingy that connects to the rear sprocket ?
Is it just to stop muck etc from getting everywhere or does it have a more meaninfull purpose

flipper

Reaction score
Yamaha call it a bracket..................... can't see any use for it tbh.

marksim

Reaction score
Thanx
thats what i thought
it aint going back on then

billygatso

Reaction score
Is it not there to reduce the chance of the chain locking up the rear wheel if it breaks!

flipper

Reaction score
It's quite narrow. Not sure how it might do that. Most likely thing with a chain break is the chain slapping around wildly and smashing the engine casing.

marksim

Reaction score
Wouldnt of thought its anything to do with stopping back wheel lockup if it broke,as it would be on loads of other bikes etc.
As Flipper says its normally the front sprocket area and engine casings that normally suffer damage from a chain break.
Hoping none of us experience it though !

flipper

Reaction score
Had the chain break on an FZR1000 a few years back. Smashed the casing around the sprocket, whipped up and took out the helmet lock bolted to the frame. Very fortunate as otherwise it would have been my leg and ass that took the impact.

I don't want that happening again!

marksim

Reaction score
Likewise,i had 1 break on my Ducati 996
it whacked me on the leg,smashed engine casing,scratched frame,broke chain guard,cracked a Termi can,and single seat unit.
Expensive do.
Was really lucky though as chain never caught anything and just went slivering down the road like a snake.
My mate was behind me and he had to swerve from it.

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
It cost Yamaha money to design, make, and fit to the bike. It will have a reason, whether that reason is sufficient for an owner to refit it is another thing. I'm guessing it is some sort of shield or deflector.

My Toy

Reaction score
My guess is it would stop the chain from jamming between the sprocket and the swing arm in the event the chain jumps off the sprocket due to excessive free play. Not everyone looks after their chains as they should so Yamaha has to build in some "idiot factor" to cater for all levels of DIY spannering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flipper

Reaction score
I don't see how it would work the "bracket" is smaller diameter than the sprocket so wouldn't stop the chain moving sideways. Also you'd need a huge amount of slack for chain to jump off that way. T me it looks like a one piece washer.

flipper

Reaction score
Or are you thinking that the chain would rest on the bracket if it came off the sprocket? Could be I spose. Or could it fall off the side of the bracket?

My Toy

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly that. If the bracket wasn't there and the chain jumped the sprocket to the outside it would likely jam the rear wheel into an uncontrollable skid. I've followed a few young uns on 125's with chains almost dragging on the ground, it's there to try to keep numpties like that from killing themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk