Recommendations for Crash bars

woodie100

Reaction score
Hi all
Cos I love my MT09 Tracer and want to keep it nice n scuff free as long as poss I’m looking for recommendations for some engine/crash bars to protect the engine if the bike meets the floor sideways!

Seen some on Ebay but before buying wondered what you all think or have used, you’re opinion on them etc etc

Thanks in advance ,

JonB

johnstons101

Reaction score
I fitted the Givi/Kappa engine bars to my MT09 Tracer last year & they were easy to fit as a diy job.
Also saved the engine cases when I had a slow speed oops moment on a gravel campsite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodie100

Reaction score
Thanks all, I have decided to go for the Givi bars (2nd hand) off eBay (item # 223262625343) and have had to make up the fitting kit as I go along. They cost me £80 and approx £5 for the bolts. Just waiting to have the scrape on 1 of the bar repainted before fitting. Then onto the next project Air horns! planning on mounting them to the engine bars and fixing the compressor where the stock horn is mounted. Not doing these until I get the other bar back. I've run a wire, via an inline fuse, directly from the battery to a relay so hoping for a decent blast to "warn other road users" that I am there!!
If I am going about incorrect fitting or you have a better suggestion I am more than happy to learn and benefit from peoples expertise !

Cheers
JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
Well here’s one side done complete with air horn ready to alert sleepy motorists !!!

Attachments

woodie100

Reaction score
N
Just a note, the lower LH side bolt goes through to the RH side with a nut. You need to hammer it out from the RH.
Just a note, the lower LH side bolt goes through to the RH side with a nut. You need to hammer it out from the RH.
Hi JohnD
Now I’m confused!!! So am I right in thinking that I need to remove the bottom bolt and put a loooong bolt through from left to right and secure with a bit either side??
I don’t have a long bolt like that (yet!) I presumed it fixes the same as the right hand side, but I’m guessing that I’m wrong.......
JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
N

Hi JohnD
Now I’m confused!!! So am I right in thinking that I need to remove the bottom bolt and put a loooong bolt through from left to right and secure with a bit either side??
I don’t have a long bolt like that (yet!) I presumed it fixes the same as the right hand side, but I’m guessing that I’m wrong.......
JonB
I was going off instructions I downloaded from Givis website.....

Attachments

JohnD

Reaction score
The bolt that is to be removed goes clean through to the other side with a nut on it. Remove the LOOOOOONG bolt and run it through the bars and your right to go

JohnD

Reaction score
Number '10' in the instructions is the bolt already in the bike, nothing like the pic. Take it out, locate the bar and refit the bolt and nut.

woodie100

Reaction score
The bolt that is to be removed goes clean through to the other side with a nut on it. Remove the LOOOOOONG bolt and run it through the bars and your right to go
Hi JohnD
Ah I see what you mean!! Shame they don’t make that clearer!!
I’ve had the bolt in question sliding freely but not fully removed it as I’ve not got the crashbars back from my son who had every inention of spraying the scuffs that were on the LHS bar (he’s a panel beater/ auto sprayer) but as far as I know he’s not had time to do it so going to put it on and remove at a later date (or have a go myself) we’ll see.
if/when I do remove the looooong bolt will I need to put a screwdriver in to support whatever it’s going through or is it simply a way of holding it in place if you get my meaning?
JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
Well here’s one side done complete with air horn ready to alert sleepy motorists !!!
No support needed, just remove and replace. Bit of locktight on the nut as it sits flush when reinstalled.
Thank you so much for you’re support and guidance. It’s situations like this why there are forums like this one with helpful willing members.
I really appreciate all of you’re help. I’ll upload a picture when the job is finished???

woodie100

Reaction score
Well have a look at them now!!
All I got to do is figure how to wire the air horns in ultilising the horn switch and replace the stock horn!! The wiring instructions that came with it were pants to say the least (for my simple mind anyway!!)
JonB

Last edited: