renntec luggage rack and topbox on MT09

stevecbr

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a Renntec luggage rack to their MT?
They seem cheap on Ebay, and look like they would do the job, with the bonus you could ditch the topbox and bungee some rolltops to the rack, and have a passenger grabrail
Would like to hear opinions or experience, and especially if any drilling needs to be done (seller states no mods needed)
YAMAHA MT-09 LUGGAGE RACK / SPORTS RACK BY RENNTEC & 32L TOP BOX REN7362B | eBay

highlander

Reaction score
That does seem a good deal for rack and box. Just don't expect a top quality waterproof, shatterproof box.

No drilling required sounds right - you can see the tabs HERE that mount to screws under the seat. So as long as you aren't carrying anything heavier than a fairy's fart in the topbox, you should be fine! :p

Shaun64

Reaction score
You can buy top boxs like that for £25 new and the last time I looked at rennetec racks they were around £80, I recently bought (mt09 tracer) a givi monokey top box 40 ltr plus givi rack & plate new delivered £177 from native Viking in Morpeth Northumberland on eBay ,£50 more but really good gear.

bobh

Reaction score
I really need to carry at least a few emergency items when I go on a day out, and they won't fit on the pockets of my riding gear. I have a magnetic tank bag, but the headstock on the MT-09 is so deep that the front strap won't reach all the way round. And I don't like using it without the strap, having seen an accident where an unsecured tank bag came off a bike and caused the following bike to crash.

I've tried tailpacks, but the one I have isn't really compatible with the one-piece seat on the MT-09. And I don't like using a rucksack.

So I may have to admit defeat and fit either a rack or a Givi plate to the MT-09. I've put Givi plates on other bikes, and I have the box to fit, but they are a bit - well - let's just say, not quite in keeping with the character of the bike. So maybe a less obviously "tourer" Renntec-style rack is the way to go, with either a removable plate to take a topbox when I have to, or just a soft bag strapped in place.

Alternatively I could go the Bagster tank cover/bag combo route.

Thoughts?

atomic

Reaction score
Hi, I mounted SW-MOTECH rack and i think it looks relatively ok.
http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/c...=Tshowrub--brands.yamaha.mt09&typid=219038944
Also have Givi V47 for long trips but i take it off for every day riding. You can also mount tank lock ring on the rack and put small bags of your own choice http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/c...=Tshowrub--brands.yamaha.mt09&typid=219044680
http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/c...=Tshowrub--brands.yamaha.mt09&typid=219031810
Ahh cell phone typing :(

Last edited:

bobh

Reaction score
Yes, that looks a lot neater than other racks I've seen (at least from the angle that photo was taken!)