Restricted top speed??

FozzyBoy

Reaction score
I'm test riding an MT09 next Monday and am seriously interested in one. I may wait for the ABS model.
One thing is concerning me is that I have read in a couple of road tests that the top speed has been governed to 132MPH, yes I know it is way more than the legal limit, but if I buy a bike I want the prerogative of having all the performance of the bike available, Does anyone out there have any news / info on this.:(

SlanGlad

Reaction score
Maybe it depends on certain countries? For example, in France, it's restricted to 106hp while it's 115hp everywhere else.
As mine is brand new and that I want to keep my driving license, I won't try to reach top speed immediately. :rolleyes:

Stripy

Reaction score
I think you are right, SlanGlad.
As seen on the latest review from the funny guy in Portugal, he gets it up to 222km/h quite easily. I reckon, with an more advanced rider, less wind, flat etc the speed will be able to climb further up.
222km/h equals 139mph anyway.

FuzzyBoy, what would you need the topspeed for?

stevecbr

Reaction score
On the demo bike I rode the speedo showed 139mph, only 1mph more than my 2005 FZ6.
Whats different though, is the way it gets there!
Top speed on a naked is really irrelevant, as much more than 120mph is really uncomfortable

stevecbr

Reaction score
Ha! was in there today picking up tool kit for my MT09, and was chatting to Adam! Hope you enjoy yourself on it, their demo bike had done nearly 1500 miles when I took it out.
I was so impressed, I bought their last grey one as soon as I got back. I think they only have 1 left, the race blue one
Let us know what you think of it!

FozzyBoy

Reaction score
I'll feed back my thoughts next week, but really looking forward to it.

stevecbr

Reaction score
How did you get on with test ride? Had my first service today, noticed their demo bike had been down the road! apparently someone dropped it pulling away from their North Walsham shop, tank,peg & lever damage, and broke his shoulder (hope it wasnt you!)

FozzyBoy

Reaction score
Nope ! Fortunately not me, I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, though the guy it happened to has my sympathies.
But my Street Bob should be gone by the end of the month and I'm sure the cash will be burning a hole in my pocket! ;)

MadGelo

Reaction score
my bike does around 280km/h on the dyno after the throttle restriction been removed in 5th and 6th gear with a flahs. Was restricted to 50%

slowrider

Reaction score
no idea how he did that. my mind tells me that he could use a bike stand to do it and stuck the front wheel to the wall. anyone who can speak portuguese can probably ask him.
but i probably wouldn't do it...

Fichtenelch

Reaction score
Got my mt 09 until 224 km/h (french model that has been unlocked from 106 hp to 115). there are possibilites to remove the 5th and 6th gear limitations and also remove top speed restriction. however, i read that the end of 6th gear should be around 263 km/h.
however, on a naked bike anything more than 180 km/h is quite uncomfortable, >200 km/h aint fun for long...