Running in a new bike

EmptyOhNine

Reaction score
Do you have to 'run in ' a new bike these days?

How many miles should one do at lower revs to protect the engine?

What about new tyres?

thanks

EmptyOhNine

Reaction score
EEk.. not sure I have that patience but will do my best.
I'd want the bike for a couple of years so worth investing my time into doing it right.

Spook99

Reaction score
Had a couple of new bikes and now got my second brand spanking new Tracer, had my old one 4 years, couldn’t find anything i wanted more, so got the new GT, only had it a week.........cant get the smile off my face 😆
Anywho foureyes has got it right, experienced mechanics (excuse me ‘technicians’) I have known well told me its good to give it revs but not to hold it there, ‘stretching’ the moving parts but not ripping their nuts off. This should be better than not going over 6000 revs at all over the recommended period. It certainly hasn’t been an issue for my other new bikes and I’m doing the same now......and lovin it

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
This thread is nearly a year old and DaveC already posted the link to the manual with the correct revs, no need to post guesses at the rev limits etc.

There's such a load of misinformation on the internet about breaking the engine in. Put simply, Yamaha know the engine inside out and know how to get the best longevity out of it (certainly better than any 'my mate' or 'my mechanic' says).

Follow their advice in the manual and you'll be fine.

kev

Reaction score
I think running in bikes years ago was so they lasted the 6 month warranty and then broke down.

andz

Reaction score
I remember seeing a video (film?) many years ago of the Honda factory and when a CB750 came off the end of the line they started it and revved the shit out of it then switched off and boxed it, so running it in seemed irrelevant.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
They have to pressure test at the factory, no other way to do it and it's a short burst to test it. You're not meant to then use that as an excuse to rag it from the off which will cause major hot spots to build up where tolerances haven't had a chance to wear in.

Also people forget running in isn't just the engine. It's about getting the entire transmission bedded in, brakes, tyres etc etc.

Sitting on the motorway at constant revs also won't do the gearbox any good.