Sat Nav mounting - Above the clocks

Hexme

Reaction score
Morning all,

Looking to mount my Garmin Zumo above the clocks where I can best see it.

Firstly, I remember seeing some pictures on here of someone that had done this but for the life of me can't find them now! Can some kind sole point me in the right direction?

Secondly, I've just purchased a Cosmo mount, found here:

MT09 TRACER

I need to attach my garmin cradle to it but after some ruff guessing (I know I should have done the guestimate before buying but never surf the internet looking for stuff when drinking haha) I don't think my original mount isn't going to quite fit -Doh! Any ideas would be gladly excepted as to anything I can use.

Thanks

O

owle

Hexme, i have the Cosmo ramball mount and attached a Garmin 390 above the Tracer clocks if that's the one you mean, i have wired it to the spare accessory socket plug behind the clocks.

I don't understand what you are asking, as you attach the cradle to the ball mount the same as the garmin ball mount, if you could explain a bit more i will try and help.

Hexme

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Owle, the mount I bought was the one with the 22mm bar on the top and not the RAM ball, I have a nice billet 22mm connector left over from my BMW GS, which I thought would fit nicely, but after looking more closely the distance between the clamps on my bracket isn't wide enough to straddle the weld on the cosmo bracket.

Hopefully the pictures should make it clearer

mount 1.jpgmount 2.jpgmount 3.jpg

robin

Reaction score
Well you can only measure the distance between each side of your clamp or try fit it. I think it will be too near and hide the clocks a little, as owle said you will need a ball mount on the back of your Garmin and the clamp that goes between the two balls, but fit it around your round bar instead of the lower ball.
Re wire connectors. If you haven't got the correct one just cut it off and fit what you have.

Hexme

Reaction score
Well you can only measure the distance between each side of your clamp or try fit it. I think it will be too near and hide the clocks a little, as owle said you will need a ball mount on the back of your Garmin and the clamp that goes between the two balls, but fit it around your round bar instead of the lower ball.
Re wire connectors. If you haven't got the correct one just cut it off and fit what you have.
Thanks Robin, buying this involved whiskey, a late night and a good idea...... hehe.

As for the connector, I've already got one so one less thing to worry about....

O

owle

Thanks for the quick reply Owle, the mount I bought was the one with the 22mm bar on the top and not the RAM ball, I have a nice billet 22mm connector left over from my BMW GS, which I thought would fit nicely, but after looking more closely the distance between the clamps on my bracket isn't wide enough to straddle the weld on the cosmo bracket.

Hopefully the pictures should make it clearer

View attachment 4619View attachment 4620View attachment 4621
Ok i see, pictures are worth a thousand words as they say. can't add anything to what robin has said.

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
Take a trip down to your local bodywork repair garage with all your bits and bobs, explain, give someone a drink (cash) and have the 22mm bar re-welded so it all fits.

Hexme

Reaction score
As always a helpful and pragmatic answer, thanks Mr F.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

robin

Reaction score
There is a Garmin clap with a ball on that U bolts to handle bars.

Looking on eBay, everything is so expensive, I think I would look for a kitchen cabinet door knob. 25 mm in Crome finish (£5 is). Drill a hole top to bottom then thro your bar, and bolt it on.

Last edited:

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
If we're talking DIY ram mount balls you'd want something with a bit of give so the clamp can get a good grip, wonder if a 1" kids rubber ball from a toyshop would do, easier to drill and probably even cheaper than a doorknob. Funky colours too.

ib1-2

Reaction score
Hi Hexme
Any chance of some pictures from the rear and side of the SAT NAV to get an idea of the distance from the screen. Thanks.

Hexme

Reaction score
Hi Hexme
Any chance of some pictures from the rear and side of the SAT NAV to get an idea of the distance from the screen. Thanks.
No worries ib1, I'll take some in the morning.

Hexme

Reaction score
Pictures as promised, I'm very happy with the position of the Satnav as I have a Yamaha (SW Motech) quick remove bag which made thing difficult.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

ninjaef

Reaction score
Where did you get the mount/stay from [link?], and does it fix to the windshield mount ? and do you have a pic of the stay without the GPS cradle? Thanks