Sat nav plugged into 12 volt power plug

Shaun64

Reaction score
Ive got a tom tom rider sat nav,on my last bike i just ran the wire back to the battery but on the tracer i. could just plug it into the 12 volt power socket,so my question is has anyone done it and were did you get the plug? On my existing tom tom cable theres the plug that goes into the sat nav and on the other end is just two wires.

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
What Tom Tom fitting kit have you got? I recently fitted a Rider 400 with the supplied bar mounting kit. This is the type where the cables go to the mount and the Unit can be removed, refitted from the mount without connecting the cables.

I used to use a plug in "cigar lighter socket" connection on my last bike but found that the plug would back out when riding, losing connection. To get a "hard wired" tidy job on the Tracer you can use the vacant wiring plug for the optional second power point. This also has the advantage of being fused and switched off with the ignition (useful if you have the locking kit or leave the Tom Tom on the bike when garaged.)

You can find the block connector under the front panels. From memory is below the windscreen on the Left hand side (riders view). I removed the screen and I think the body colour panel near the headlights. Find the block connector for the standard power socket and the spare connector is next to it. I fitted a new male + female block connector as I had nothing in my kit to match the original. I then ran the wire under the headlamp, zip tied to keep it secure and made a small hole in the spare power point blanking plug. Form here the cable can be zip tied to handlebar cables and wiring up to the mount. My kit had a quick release in the last few cm of wire, in case you want to remove the mount bit you could achieve the same thing with a waterproof in line fuse holder.

Hope this helps!

Shaun64

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply mJ09,regards fittings i had it fitted to my last two bikes one with the handle bar clamp and the other with a top yoke mount with both i had a cable ran from the battery to the mount so i could swap the sat nav from bike to bike,on the tracer i am going to fit a bolt with a 1' ball to attached to it,to fit it you remove one of the handle bar clamp bolts and replace it with this fitting,its on ebay item number 131726995713 its similar to the top yoke mount and works very well,from what you have said its a waste of time using the cig lighter type connection as it keeps jumping out! Which is a shame as it would have been ideal,i will look into what you have done mJ09 thanks again.

Toppie

Reaction score
What Tom Tom fitting kit have you got? I recently fitted a Rider 400 with the supplied bar mounting kit. This is the type where the cables go to the mount and the Unit can be removed, refitted from the mount without connecting the cables.

I used to use a plug in "cigar lighter socket" connection on my last bike but found that the plug would back out when riding, losing connection. To get a "hard wired" tidy job on the Tracer you can use the vacant wiring plug for the optional second power point. This also has the advantage of being fused and switched off with the ignition (useful if you have the locking kit or leave the Tom Tom on the bike when garaged.)

You can find the block connector under the front panels. From memory is below the windscreen on the Left hand side (riders view). I removed the screen and I think the body colour panel near the headlights. Find the block connector for the standard power socket and the spare connector is next to it. I fitted a new male + female block connector as I had nothing in my kit to match the original. I then ran the wire under the headlamp, zip tied to keep it secure and made a small hole in the spare power point blanking plug. Form here the cable can be zip tied to handlebar cables and wiring up to the mount. My kit had a quick release in the last few cm of wire, in case you want to remove the mount bit you could achieve the same thing with a waterproof in line fuse holder.

Hope this helps!
Glad I stumbled across this post. I'm just about to do the same this weekend and was wondering where/if I would find a feed.
Thanks!

chump

Reaction score
On the MT there is a 12v connector under the right hand "air scoop". May be one in a similar place on the Tracey.

sjw

Reaction score
On the MT there is a 12v connector under the right hand "air scoop".
I fitted a new male + female block connector as I had nothing in my kit to match the original.
Anyone know what type of connector this is and where to buy. This is what is used for 'blanking' the connector behind the RH air scoop:

20161020_192250.jpg

Last edited:

trevorleigh

Reaction score
The 12v connector with a switched live is behind the dash on the Tracer, actually there are two of them, I use one for the Sat Nav and one to power the fog lights.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Whilst I had my screen of today I took some images of where the 12v live power connectors are: there is actually 3 in the rubber boot behind the clocks. I use the grey ones for the sat nav and the fog lamps, and I run a volt meter on from the black one. Hope this helps.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

ib1-2

Reaction score

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Not sure what its called, but pretty sure I got that one online too. I will check back on my records, see if I can find out where

Hampshirechap

Reaction score
On the MT there is a 12v connector under the right hand "air scoop". May be one in a similar place on the Tracey.
Yes there is, I wired my tom tom 400 in last night. Remove the screen, then the screen frame and finally the black panel (held on by 5 push clips). Ease out the front wiring loom (held on by a single black plastic clip back left looking from the front of the bike). Now you can work with the loom, pull back the big black rubber cover to reveal several connectors. You should see two grey spurs, with grey blanking connectors (the wires are 1 x brown and 1 x black). These are both auxiliary switched 12v sources. The connectors can be sourced off ebay (link below), or simply cut these off and connect the tom tom using your own blocks. Simple, about an hour to complete the job. enjoy.
MT090-2 Auxiliary male power connector for Yamaha MT09 Tracer MT07 Aux Plug | eBay

ib1-2

Reaction score
Whilst I had my screen of today I took some images of where the 12v live power connectors are: there is actually 3 in the rubber boot behind the clocks. I use the grey ones for the sat nav and the fog lamps, and I run a volt meter on from the black one. Hope this helps.
View attachment 4374View attachment 4375View attachment 4376View attachment 4377View attachment 4378
What fog lights do you have, are they the Yamaha? I'm fitting the Givi S310 but instructions say to fit to battery and run a lead off ignition, I wondered if I could plug them into one of the spare connectors. The lamps are halogen 55w but I'm going to change the bulbs for 25w LED if that's any help.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
What fog lights do you have, are they the Yamaha? I'm fitting the Givi S310 but instructions say to fit to battery and run a lead off ignition, I wondered if I could plug them into one of the spare connectors. The lamps are halogen 55w but I'm going to change the bulbs for 25w LED if that's any help.
I run the fog light through a relay straight off the battery, but use one of the 12v ignition live feeds to switch the relay, as I don't think they will run the fog lamps directly.