Service

Marks

Reaction score
Mines in for its first service tomorrow, can't wait to get that out of the way :)
Anyone else up to the 600 miles yet.
Mark

Marks

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I have already adjusted the throttle free play as there was way too much from day one, was also going to ask about the mapping to check if it's running the latest edition, to be honest the throttle is no worse than other fuel injection bikes I have ridden, a little on/off at very low revs but nothing I can't live with. I haven't ridden the original MT 09 but I am led to believe the tracer has a smoother mapping as standard.
Regards
Mark

groundhog

Reaction score
I adjusted the free play too and also have the on/off at low revs. I spoke to the dealers and they say it gets better with more miles, we shall see ? I do find it irritating but this is the first fuel injection bike I have owned so maybe I have to get used to it. Does anyone find the ride/suspension a bit harsh ? I have been used to a rather softly sprung XJR 1300 so again maybe I just need to get used to it.

Apart from those small gripes I think it's a fantastic bike !

Last edited:

Marks

Reaction score
I also found the ride a bit on the harsh side, I turned the rear preload back one so a little softer and slowed the rebound down a touch on the front, didn't touch the rear rebound as didn't want to make too many changes at one time but it is a lot smoother. Still needs a little more fiddling but it's always a good excuse for a ride afterwards.
Service now done but needs a good wash as it was raining when I went out. Dam weather!!
Mark

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
I picked my Tracer up on the 20th March and had it in for the 600 mile service on the 24th.
I cut back on sleep and bunked off work.

STMTRACER

Reaction score
I picked my Tracer up on the 20th March and had it in for the 600 mile service on the 24th.
I cut back on sleep and bunked off work.

Took my Tracer out this morning with 0 miles and home this evening with 611 miles also posted my first impressions during break for food lol. Going to do 1st service myself tomorrow morning.

STMTRACER

Reaction score
Don't do the service yourself if you don't want to valid your bike's warranty !!!
Hi serviced all my bikes myself over last 15 years and only every had one warranty claim through Yamaha and warranty claim was honored because I had always used manufacturers parts and fluids and always keep receipts as proof when doing service. To be honest from horror stories I have heard of servicing by garages I would rather take chance and do it myself. The one time I did have my bike serviced years ago the local Yamaha dealer cracked my alloy sump on my Fazer 600 over tightening sump plug and I swore then never again.

I have all the tools and a nice warm garage. I realise its the chance I take

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi serviced all my bikes myself over last 15 years and only every had one warranty claim through Yamaha and warranty claim was honored because I had always used manufacturers parts and fluids and always keep receipts as proof when doing service. To be honest from horror stories I have heard of servicing by garages I would rather take chance and do it myself. The one time I did have my bike serviced years ago the local Yamaha dealer cracked my alloy sump on my Fazer 600 over tightening sump plug and I swore then never again.

Fair play to you. If you can do it all yourself then why not

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score

I put my R1 in to the Yamaha dealer for a new set of tyres last year.
Asked them to do an oil and filter change while they had it in.
Next day I go out to my garage and find an oils slick under the bike. Dopey f**ker didn't fit a new compression washer on the sump plug.

Good for you doing your own. At least you know it's done right...and only yourself to blame if it isn't

STMTRACER

Reaction score
I put my R1 in to the Yamaha dealer for a new set of tyres last year.
Asked them to do an oil and filter change while they had it in.
Next day I go out to my garage and find an oils slick under the bike. Dopey f**ker didn't fit a new compression washer on the sump plug.

Good for you doing your own. At least you know it's done right...and only yourself to blame if it isn't

It wasn't Alan Duffus was it lol

Paul

Reaction score
Mine went in on Saturday for the 600 mile service.

I was told I could give it the beans now, but the manual says another 400 miles at no more than 6K revs for extended periods and then I'm good to go?
I have ignored the dealers words.

I went out on a good run yesterday and only nipped over 6K once or twice briefly. Got home and washed the bike and noticed little black spots on the exhaust's outer casing. More on there than before I took it in (lighter in colour and less volume, so put this down to the thinner running in oil).

Is this normal?

My Toy

Reaction score
I get that all the time, and have from day one, now have 2000miles up. It's only mucky water residue from the exhaust and, (assuming it's the same as mine) nowt to worry about. Start the bike and let it idle while you watch the water come out and settle on the exhaust outlet. Sounds normal.

A vee four and an inline triple, the two best sounds in motorcycling. [emoji5]️

Last edited:

Paul

Reaction score
I get that all the time, and have from day one, now have 2000miles up. It's only mucky water residue from the exhaust and, (assuming it's the same as mine) nowt to worry about. Start the bike and let it idle while you watch the water come out and settle on the exhaust outlet. Sounds normal.

A vee four and an inline triple, the two best sounds in motorcycling. [emoji5]️

Cheers for that!

Yeah, looks just like mine.