Shock Vote

duffy

Reaction score
Hello everybody (1st post), I have done a lot of reading on the forum about shock replacement, and hope to have my new ride delivered at the weekend.
I have decided for now to change the rear, stiffen up the front to see if it is OK for me, but my question is for those that have already upgraded please.
Nitron or Ohlins, its seems most people are happy with either, has anyone experience of both?
And if Ohlins apart from eBay who do you recommend in the UK to supply.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Hi & welcome, where abouts in Norfolk are you? (I'm Wymondham)
Cant help with shock recommendations, as mine is all standard. I was thinking about a trip to MCT for them to look at

marksim

Reaction score
Used both on various bikes and both good if set correctly.

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi mate and welcome aboard.
I put in a standard shock from an 09 ZX10 which stiffened up the back nicely and simply replaced the fork springs with a set of Ohlins.
Got to say the result is great, though I'm no champion, there's a lot more confidence through the twisties.

duffy

Reaction score
Thanks gents, I kinda figured there is no loser between the 2, but wanted to check in case of any horror stories with either.
Also the Nitron adjusts compression and rebound with one knob, I wasn't sure that was a good thing?
I am on the coast between Gt Yarmouth & Lowestoft.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
...Also the Nitron adjusts compression and rebound with one knob, I wasn't sure that was a good thing?
Did you end up with the Nitron? I'm about to order one, so still keen to hear what they're like to live with. I appreciate it's a huge improvement over stock, so I guess that's the main question answered.

Bon

Reaction score
Did you end up with the Nitron? I'm about to order one, so still keen to hear what they're like to live with. I appreciate it's a huge improvement over stock, so I guess that's the main question answered.
Have had Nitron rear shock and Matris fork cartridge on mine for over a year now. Mucho improvement over stock. Handles so much better since the mod. Nitron and Ohlins both adjust the compression and rebound with just the one knurled adjuster. If you order it for your weight and riding style it will be pretty much spot on as soon as you go back out on it. Ohlins have come down in price since they first appeared. [they were £500 and are now around the £400 mark]

duffy

Reaction score
I went with the ohlins and had ohlins springs fitted in the forks at the same time by MCT in Stowmarket.
Completely different bike now, suspension to match the engine.
Best mod ,ever.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went with the ohlins and had ohlins springs fitted in the forks at the same time by MCT in Stowmarket.
Best mod ,ever.
Noooooo. The flash is the best mod ever lol.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Have had Nitron rear shock....Ohlins have come down in price since they first appeared
Budget dictates, so it's the NTR R1 for the rear. I was told that I'd have to buy the spring separate to the damper itself for Ohlins - that right? Upfront, I'm replacing OEM springs (can't stretch to full cartridge kit) for K-tech.

Last edited:

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Best mod ,ever.
What was the cost? I've been quoted £740 fitted for R1 shock and Racetech springs.