Short term ABS failure

relz

Reaction score
The other night when I was riding home in a nice spirited ride, I noticed that the ABS warning light came on and stayed on.
When approaching the next traffic light, at a low speed, I slammed on the rear brake and indeed the wheel locked (the ABS wasn't working).

Seeing that I'm a computer guy, my next obvious step was to stop the bike at the side of the road and reboot the computer, i.e. turn the ignition off/on. Unsurprisingly the error went away and ABS functioned (tested again with a hard braking).

This is worrying. ABS is one of those components that should be bullet proof, and save you in case of a near crash. It should be 100% functional and bug free.

Although I'm still used to non-ABS bikes, so I don't rely on it too much, I'm sure that with time I'll get used to simply slamming on the brakes when performing an emergency stop (as you should with a reliable ABS system).

I spoke to my local dealer the next morning, and his reply was "if it happens again, let me know and we'll check it".

I hope it doesn't happen again, but all you ABS riders, I suggest to keep your eyes out for that warning light.

lee1980

Reaction score
Interesting, I have had 2 bikes with ABS so far BMW R1200s and CBR500r, never had any problems riding in all weathers. I have been riding for like 15/16 years so don't rely on it still slow down and be easy with breaks in wet etc. I more wanted it for those moments when peeps pull out in front etc you can't plan for.
It has for sure saved me a good few times at those times.

I have ordered my MT-09 with ABS to as riding all year seems mad not to for those emergency braking times. I did think about the more complexity and failure to and more cost difficulty to get braided lines to and for maintenance, I have changed my own fluid lines before.

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
The other night when I was riding home in a nice spirited ride, I noticed that the ABS warning light came on and stayed on.
When approaching the next traffic light, at a low speed, I slammed on the rear brake and indeed the wheel locked (the ABS wasn't working).

Seeing that I'm a computer guy, my next obvious step was to stop the bike at the side of the road and reboot the computer, i.e. turn the ignition off/on. Unsurprisingly the error went away and ABS functioned (tested again with a hard braking).

This is worrying. ABS is one of those components that should be bullet proof, and save you in case of a near crash. It should be 100% functional and bug free.

Although I'm still used to non-ABS bikes, so I don't rely on it too much, I'm sure that with time I'll get used to simply slamming on the brakes when performing an emergency stop (as you should with a reliable ABS system).

I spoke to my local dealer the next morning, and his reply was "if it happens again, let me know and we'll check it".

I hope it doesn't happen again, but all you ABS riders, I suggest to keep your eyes out for that warning light.
There was an ABS recall for the ABS modulator. Did you get the recall done? I also have the ABS and until now haven't had any failures. But will keep an eye to see if anything shows up on the instrument panel.

relz

Reaction score
There was an ABS recall for the ABS modulator. Did you get the recall done? I also have the ABS and until now haven't had any failures. But will keep an eye to see if anything shows up on the instrument panel.
Yes. I supposedly (didn't watch the mechanic work) had the ABS recall done.

flipper

Reaction score
ABS is an electromechanical system. It cannot have 100% availability. things break. at least there is a warning lamp..................

relz

Reaction score
ABS is an electromechanical system. It cannot have 100% availability. things break. at least there is a warning lamp..................
Agree.
But seeing that a reboot fixed it, means that its most likely not an electronic or mechanical fault, rather a software fault (bug).
IMO A safety system, like ABS, should be pretty much bug free.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Now if it was a car the occurrence of the fault lamp illuminating would indicate a fault that would leave a historical trouble code in the ABS control unit even if the lamp subsequently went out on reboot, only the dealer would know ( if he is any good) if the MT09 does this like a car does, it may also be possible to retrieve fault codes for the ABS via the dash cluster buttons, I don't have any solid info on this though, mine is non ABS anyway.

After a reread I notice you said spirited riding, were any wheelies or wheelspins involved? major differences in wheel speed can freak out ABS ecu's if the expected parameters are exceeded, we see it sometimes on cars we have running on the ramp with their wheels hanging free, often there is enough drag in the gearbox to rotate the driven wheels slowly, of course the undriven wheels are static, the poor ABS unit gets signals from the turning wheels and nothing from the static ones and promptly freaks and puts the lamp up, on some cars we have to break out the code reader and cancel the faults down, some will clear on a ignition switch cycle. One would hope that Yamaha have programmed parameters that can handle even completely brain out nutter level bike abuse, but you never know.

I think definitely ask your dealer to plug in and scan the ABS for codes if they can.

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok miss C. Here's one for u...!
Today I put two new tyres on my bike. After it was all done I went for a quick ride and when I pulled off the abs light came on and I have no speedo, it's just sat showing zero mph....!