side stand attachment play

TYKE

Reaction score
Another question from this Tracer 900 newby.

I've noticed that the side stand mounting to the frame on my bike has, IMO, too much play in it

With the bike on its main stand the side stand can be moved in and out by about 1 inch or more, the bike therefore seems to lean over more than I would expect when 'parked' on its side stand

Is this normal ? Any advice would be appreciated

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Another question from this Tracer 900 newby.

I've noticed that the side stand mounting to the frame on my bike has, IMO, too much play in it

With the bike on its main stand the side stand can be moved in and out by about 1 inch or more, the bike therefore seems to lean over more than I would expect when 'parked' on its side stand

Is this normal ? Any advice would be appreciated
Is the bike new ?

TYKE

Reaction score
Hiya littlebruv thanks for your response.

No the bike is a 2018 model and has done 9500 miles, it's new to me, hhencccce all my questions questions.....lol

I have looked at an exploded parts diagram and seen that a bolt, shim, washer and nut are used to attach the stand arm to the frame, the 'fork' that fits over the lug on the frame is substantial and doesn't appear to be splayed, it is cast steel, and the current attachment bolt is tight.

My gues is that the previous owner may have mounted the bike by standing on the left side footpeg which has caused the shim to wear.

I'm no engineer but this seems likely and I reckon that replacing the attachment components may improve or resolve the issue.

I just wasn't sure if my bikes symptoms were 'standard' or if it was showing signs of wear.

What do you think ?

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Hiya littlebruv thanks for your response.

No the bike is a 2018 model and has done 9500 miles, it's new to me, hhencccce all my questions questions.....lol

I have looked at an exploded parts diagram and seen that a bolt, shim, washer and nut are used to attach the stand arm to the frame, the 'fork' that fits over the lug on the frame is substantial and doesn't appear to be splayed, it is cast steel, and the current attachment bolt is tight.

My gues is that the previous owner may have mounted the bike by standing on the left side footpeg which has caused the shim to wear.

I'm no engineer but this seems likely and I reckon that replacing the attachment components may improve or resolve the issue.

I just wasn't sure if my bikes symptoms were 'standard' or if it was showing signs of wear.

What do you think ?
Maybe take the sidestand off and check the pin itself and if there's play when inserting the pin into the sidestand

TYKE

Reaction score
Maybe take the sidestand off and check the pin itself and if there's play when inserting the pin into the sidestand

Agreed, that's my next move.... at the moment it's freezing here and the garage is a bit cold, freezing my b*lls off .. lol

Thanks for the advice

TYKE

Reaction score
You can purchase a side stand accessory foot that returns the bike to a more natural parking position and puts less load on the stand pivot point. Also you can park it on grass without looking for a piece of wood.

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/mt09-side-stand.html

Thanks for the feedback, I already have one of these fitted, however it's the point at which the stand attaches to the frame that is concerning me