Speed cameras

Slappyhead

Reaction score
Just had a letter through the post telling me that I have been caught speeding. I think I know what happened but I am interested to see if anyone has any advice! I was on a dual carriageway, a 50mph limit. On the other carriageway, facing the other way was a speed camera van. I assumed he was aiming at the front plates of cars coming towards him, but it seems like he was aiming across 3 lanes and a central reservation and aiming at the rear plates of vehicles going away from him. Has anyone come across this before? Is it worth contesting or at least asking to see photo evidence? They say I was doing 58 - which is quite possible. Cheers!

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Has anyone come across this before?
Is it worth contesting or at least asking to see photo evidence?
yes, mate of mine got caught that way but, being the devious type that he is, did a switcharoo (has 2 of the same bike in different colours) and proved it wasn't his bike even though it was his plate, whether that's true or he's bullshiting is anyones guess
and yes, ask for evidence, then decide if you want to contest it

flydnb

Reaction score
Just had a letter through the post telling me that I have been caught speeding. I think I know what happened but I am interested to see if anyone has any advice! I was on a dual carriageway, a 50mph limit. On the other carriageway, facing the other way was a speed camera van. I assumed he was aiming at the front plates of cars coming towards him, but it seems like he was aiming across 3 lanes and a central reservation and aiming at the rear plates of vehicles going away from him. Has anyone come across this before? Is it worth contesting or at least asking to see photo evidence? They say I was doing 58 - which is quite possible. Cheers!
where was it mate dorset way?

Slappyhead

Reaction score
where was it mate dorset way?
No, on the Wessex way near the Cooper Dean. I'm used to seeing them there, but stupidly didn't think he would get me if I was heading away from him...

flydnb

Reaction score
yeah ive been nabbed there before mate , dorset way is bad for them as well , its never worth speeding down there.

My Toy

Reaction score
The letter should state that photographic evidence will not be provided prior to any hearing but I would think that you are eligible for a speed awareness course at 58 in a 50 limit aren't you? The angle the operator has used across the carriageway actually works in your favour. If you remember your sine, cosine and tangent from school then the angle here is a cosine of the true path you were taking. If he'd got you straight on you would have been recorded at a higher speed and could then be facing points on your licence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slappyhead

Reaction score
The letter should state that photographic evidence will not be provided prior to any hearing but I would think that you are eligible for a speed awareness course at 58 in a 50 limit aren't you? The angle the operator has used across the carriageway actually works in your favour. If you remember your sine, cosine and tangent from school then the angle here is a cosine of the true path you were taking. If he'd got you straight on you would have been recorded at a higher speed and could then be facing points on your licence.

Crikey. I am sorry I asked! :)

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Have you been offered speed awareness? But u can only do if you have haven't attended one in last 3 years.... I know, did one last, gone done again this year..... Took 3 points and £100 fine...

Madmatt

Reaction score
So glad I read all the posts I'll be slowing up next time, thanks for the info dudes!!

Slappyhead

Reaction score
Have you been offered speed awareness? But u can only do if you have haven't attended one in last 3 years.... I know, did one last, gone done again this year..... Took 3 points and £100 fine...
Hi, speed awareness course is mentioned on the 'intention to prosecute' so hopefully I can avoid 3 points. ?

Mat Still

Reaction score
You could try asking for the date the device was calibrated, seems to be something they don't like arguing with. Also seem to remember that the majority of the speed guns are not accurate with a bike, but if hes got you square on the rear plate, that argument could be out the window as the saying goes.

My Toy

Reaction score
It'll be calibrated, don't worry about that. They are also accurate when used on bikes. Anyhow, he's getting a course, not points so why rock the boat?

PS I'm not a camera operator just in case you were wondering!!

Last edited:

Kinjane

Reaction score
Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
I don't understand those thresholds as it say for a 70 you can only do a course between 80-86 mph , so what if you are doing 79 mph ?

Kinjane

Reaction score
You'll normally never get to here anything at all... it's outside the 10% plus 2mph over the limit which is the current ACPO agreement is for prosecution.

However there is an extenuating circumstances rule for 'traffic safety' reasons and my local lot (Avon & Somekit) sometimes apply a zero limit within the M4 M5 variable limit overhead camera zone. Ride underneath one at any speed in excess of 30 when it's showing 30 overhead and you'll get a fixed penalty ticket in the post.

They also recently installed average speed (rearward facing) cameras inside the zone as well which catches motorcycles filtering amongst all the other vehicles stuck traveling at the posted limits!

The good news is their local speed awareness course is one of the cheapest ones :) DAMHIK

Last edited:

My Toy

Reaction score
Speed awareness is offered if you are doing up to the speed limit+10%+9 mph, hence the maximum for a 70 limit is 86 (70+7+9) at 79 they probably wouldn't even bother you cos it would be speed limit+10%+2 which is where enforcement starts according to ACPO but would get you a roadside bollocking from a cop.

flydnb

Reaction score
good to know so an indicated 85 mph is probably safe then , good to know.