Speed wobble

Laffli

Reaction score
The speed wobble is caused by the air flow of the screen. When my tracer was standard I had a slight wobble at high speed, then I put a givi screen on and had very bad wobbles at about 120. I then fitted a steering damper and a powerbronze sports screen, then there was no wobble at any speed. I recently went touring so I put the givi screen on to give me a little more protection, and even with a steering damper the wobble was back at about 120 again. When I got home I put the powerbronze screen back on and no more wobbles. All these theories that people keep coming up with about the cause of speed wobble, start with the screen especially if you have an aftermarket one.

Gruffalo

Reaction score
Definately handy to know, thanks for sharing. I don't ride 120mph very often though, only occasionally on the autobahn in Germany, but I've never riden this bike at that speed, yet :)

tezzer

Reaction score
Mine (standard) starts to get "floaty" around 115. It seems to get progressively worse, the faster you go, bordering on terrifying at an indicated 130. Definitively time to back off before then.

MT10SP

Reaction score
I've had mine with Shad panniers at 115mph cranked over following a BMW S1000RR with no problems at all. [emoji4]
I've never experienced a wobble at any speed.

paulb3375

Reaction score
Before mine went I was putting time into the suspension. I remember some settings on the rear would affect how much lighter the front felt under hard acceleration.

But normal riding with constant throttle on any surface = no wobbles for me either.

mrgadman

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have same trouble with nine, MY 2017 with abt 2,000 km on it. After 180 km/hr starts wobbling and this effect is worsening if keep speeding...

Is there any proven solution for this? I mean, is there anyone who really fixed it (went over 200km/hr without wobbling?) or this bike is just a cheap "placebo" for this category?

Thanks

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hi guys!

I have same trouble with nine, MY 2017 with abt 2,000 km on it. After 180 km/hr starts wobbling and this effect is worsening if keep speeding...

Is there any proven solution for this? I mean, is there anyone who really fixed it (went over 200km/hr without wobbling?) or this bike is just a cheap "placebo" for this category?

Thanks
Check the chain adjusters to have the same distance both sides.. its critical and maybe the sollution you are looking for.. don't trust the std lines at the swingarm because there is a minimum difference betweeen them in many of our bikes.

MT10SP

Reaction score
I have the Powerbronze sports screen and have never experienced a wobble at any speed, so I would say it's the screen as well.

Laffli

Reaction score
I have the Powerbronze sports screen and have never experienced a wobble at any speed, so I would say it's the screen as well.
Also with the powerbronze sports screen you get less wind noise through the crash helmet.

mrgadman

Reaction score
So by changing the stock screen with powerbronze in a stock bike with shocks in stock settings, the wobble will go?

mrgadman

Reaction score
Agree, but have you adjusted the chain adjusters in a tracer 900 and the wobbling solved?

MT10SP

Reaction score
So by changing the stock screen with powerbronze in a stock bike with shocks in stock settings, the wobble will go?
The screen is the only thing I've touched on my bike, not even had to adjust the chain yet. Well that's not strictly true I did change the brake and clutch levers for some cheap Chinese ones[emoji4]

MT10SP

Reaction score
Also with the powerbronze sports screen you get less wind noise through the crash helmet.
That's why I chose the screen I couldn't stand the buffeting from the original one.

Laffli

Reaction score
Agree, but have you adjusted the chain adjusters in a tracer 900 and the wobbling solved?
The wobble has nothing to do with the chain adjusters, it's the screen that causes it.

mrgadman

Reaction score
The question is:

Is there any one that tried over 200km with stock screen and the bike wobbled and after replacing the screen ONLY, went again and fixed?

I' m keep asking because of keep reading various solutions like shock adjustment, tyres replacement, stabilizer, change of shocks to Ohlins, shorter screen, guards removal, etc but no any verdict came out so far, that the problem is really fixed with one or combination of those.

Last edited:

Laffli

Reaction score
The question is:

Is there any one that tried over 200km with stock screen and the bike wobbled and after replacing the screen ONLY, went again and fixed?

I' m keep asking because of keep reading various solutions like shock adjustment, tyres replacement, stabilizer, change of shocks to Ohlins, shorter screen, guards removal, etc but no any verdict came out so far, that the problem is really fixed with one or combination of those.
For get about all the other solutions it's definitely the way the air flow deflects off the screen onto the handgaurd. Standard screen at 224kmh little bit of wobble. With the givi screen 190kmh very unstable. With the powerbronze sports screen there's no wobble at any speed. I have changed my tyres, I have fitted a steering damper, I have a nitron rear shock, my forks have linear springs with reduced air gap. But when I put the givi screen back on the bike becomes unstable again. I personally think the tracer looks better with a taller screen, but it's not always about looks. With powerbronze sports screen you get less wind buffering on your helmet and the bike is more stable.

mrgadman

Reaction score
thanks, I think I should go for powerbronze. But did you tried to adjust the suspension on your weight and the issued persisted? Some guys insist that the problem solved just with the suspension adjustment..

Laffli

Reaction score
thanks, I think I should go for powerbronze. But did you tried to adjust the suspension on your weight and the issued persisted? Some guys insist that the problem solved just with the suspension adjustment..
Adjusting the suspension will not cure the wobble, I spent £750 having my suspension changed and set up for my weight and with the givi screen it still has the wobbles. I changed the suspension purely because the stock suspension is crap.

MT10SP

Reaction score
I switched to the other screen because I couldn't stand the noise and the turbulence from the original screen. If it cured the wobble that I hadn't experienced then all the better!

Toppie

Reaction score
I've owned my MT-09 Tracer for over a year and also noticed a slight wobbling at high speed.
I don't tend to ride very often at the speed that the wobble occurred so it never troubled me too much.
Since that time I've swapped out my screen for an MRA Double Bubble, set my suspension a bit on the softer side of standard (to make it a bit more comfortable on my dreadful roads) and fitted a Powerbronze 'Beak'.
Last month I toured in Europe with a group and sometimes on those wonderful European roads we'd be well into three figure speeds.
I noticed no wobbling at all!
I didn't try to fix it but, it's gone!