Spotlights (show us yours)

paulb3375

Reaction score
So what have people got?

Thinking of getting some cheap spots from ebay China. Anyone else been down this route? Would be interested to hear of your experiences.

In particular, how are you mounting them? Some are off a bracket mounted under the headlight it would seem, Yamaha / Cosmo / Adventuretech. Or, the traditional way mounted on engine bars.

Which is easiest / best folks?

Show us what you've got, don't be shy now.

Thanks.

Scaley

Reaction score
I'm in South Yorks too. Looks like same colour bike too! I use a pair of 10 watt chinese LED spots. I use them as DRL so need to set up a large triangle with the lights. I have engine bars so use steel brackets on the engine mounting bolts.

Steely

Reaction score
I bought a pair of cheap Chinese spotlights for my Sportster. I didn't even finish fitting them, as it became clear that, though their initial appearance was ok, the build quality was utter crap. I did what I should have done in the first place, and bought a pair of lights from BikeVis. Worth the extra investment, as they continue to work, and do not fall apart, either in use or when fitting! BikeVis are good people to deal with, and provide useful and amusing fitting instructions. Their lights come with easy-fit wiring kits, including good quality Deutsch connectors.

BikeVis Cree LED Aux Lights – BikeVis

Last edited:

Scaley

Reaction score
I had my chinese lights on my FJR for 2 years and my tenere for a further 5 years. They're still on that. The lights looked the same as those from Bikevis and thats why I bought them. They didn't come with a harness though. I think if you research the lights across the web and look at as many reviews as possible you should be ok. Youtube saved me a fortune.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

paulb3375

Reaction score
Hi Scaley, thanks for your reply,

I'm in South Yorks too
So you too are blessed with having the Peak District on your doorstep for hooning around. Much fun.

I use them as DRL so need to set up a large triangle with the lights. I have engine bars so use steel brackets on the engine mounting bolts.
Sounds like the set up I am trying to achieve, would be keen to see pics if possible.

paulb3375

Reaction score
Hi Steely, thanks for the reply,

I hear what you are saying re the quality of the Chinese stuff and reassured by your positive comments re BikeVis. But, when you look at these from ebay I just wonder how much difference there really is. Plus where do you think BikeVis get their lights from? I do like the idea of a bargain and trying to find their source by scouring ebay.

Worth a punt surely? Not keen on opening a box of junk like you did though so keen to hear more user experiences.

Thanks all.

paulb3375

Reaction score
I had my chinese lights on my FJR for 2 years and my tenere for a further 5 years. They're still on that. The lights looked the same as those from Bikevis and thats why I bought them. They didn't come with a harness though. I think if you research the lights across the web and look at as many reviews as possible you should be ok. Youtube saved me a fortune.
Good to hear.

Harness wise, hoping to pick up one of the lives behind the screen so should be simple enough. Is that what people do? Is a switch necessary or OK to have permanently on? Relays?

I think I need to hit YouTube.

Thanks again.

Scaley

Reaction score
Good to hear.

Harness wise, hoping to pick up one of the lives behind the screen so should be simple enough. Is that what people do? Is a switch necessary or OK to have permanently on? Relays?

I think I need to hit YouTube.

Thanks again.
the lives behind the sceen are rated at 2 amps. The spots take just over that so I used the feed to power on a relay via a switch. The relay feeds the spots and anything else I want to turn on at the same time. Theres room for the relay behind the left hand quarter panel.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

Steely

Reaction score
Hi Steely, thanks for the reply,

I hear what you are saying re the quality of the Chinese stuff and reassured by your positive comments re BikeVis. But, when you look at these from ebay I just wonder how much difference there really is. Plus where do you think BikeVis get their lights from? I do like the idea of a bargain and trying to find their source by scouring ebay.

Worth a punt surely? Not keen on opening a box of junk like you did though so keen to hear more user experiences.

Thanks all.
At first glance, the Chinese ones I bought looked decent quality, but stupid little things let them down, like screws that had been cross-threaded on assembly, stripping threads in the alloy body, and screws not long enough to even reach threads. These all seemed to be assembly faults, and I may have just been unlucky, but it was enough for me to bite the bullet and buy from BikeVis, who a mate recommended after buying from them previously.

Scaley

Reaction score
Hopefully there's a picture

Sent from my A8 using Tapatalk

IrishMT-09

Reaction score
My general experience has been that any cheap chinese parts just don't last the time, I've has led indicators in the past look great but are made from brittle cheap plastic and just snap, I've had tail tidys that crack after a few days use. So I now just spend a little extra and get good quality accessories preferably oem when I can. Hope my experience is of help with your final decision.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Toppie

Reaction score
I don't totally agree with that, there's some sh##te around for sure but,...most of the electronic stuff we use these days comes from China and for the most part, it's usually pretty good.
I made up my own brackets and fitted a pair of Chinese spots that I bought off Ebay for about £15.
I used them on my Versys for two years before selling it last year to buy the Tracer.
I still see the bike now and again and the spots are always on.
So, that's three years + and still going strong!

Spots.jpgSpots2.jpg

clementdu

Reaction score
I don't totally agree with that, there's some sh##te around for sure but,...most of the electronic stuff we use these days comes from China and for the most part, it's usually pretty good.
I made up my own brackets and fitted a pair of Chinese spots that I bought off Ebay for about £15.
I used them on my Versys for two years before selling it last year to buy the Tracer.
I still see the bike now and again and the spots are always on.
So, that's three years + and still going strong!

View attachment 4991View attachment 4992
How did you make the brackets?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Toppie

Reaction score
How did you make the brackets?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
I made them from flat bar. Unfortunately I don't have any closer photos but I made up a bracket in once piece that spanned the bike. It had 4 mounting points so it was very solid.
I'm thinking of a similar idea for the Tracer.
Considering the limited tools I have for fabrication, flat bar's an easier option for me as opposed to tube, as seen in this video on the panniers I knocked up for the same bike.

Kawasaki Versys Panniers - YouTube