Sticking red engine start/stop switch.

El Bandito

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine on my MT07. Replaced under warranty. Also had to get the left switch gear replaced on that when the headlight flasher stopped working. Seems Yamaha don’t do quality switch gear!

bobh

Reaction score
Mine is starting to get stiff and not returning fully. So I've got into the habit of making sure it's back to neutral once I've started the bike. Trouble is, it's quite sensitive - move it a bit too far and it cuts the engine. I'll try some GT85 on it (on offer in Aldi at 99p at the moment, btw!)

In principle a combined starter/cut-out switch is a good idea, if only to stop your mates putting it in the 'kill' position while you're not looking!

I had an Aprilia Shiver before the MT-09, and that had a combined switch.too. But that was a rocker-type switch, and seemed to be much better quality than the MT one. I never thought I'd be praising Italian electrics!

nibor

Reaction score
I would advise others with this same recurring problem to complain to their dealer as I have done, even if the bike is outside warranty. My dealer did this on my behalf and Yamaha have agreed to replace my switch FOC but I will have to pay for 30 mins. labour fitting charge.

My dealer has admitted they have changed this crap switch for approx.12 other customers, and even Bloggsy has now got the same problem again this time with his new bike (his 2nd switch on 2 different MT0-9s).

Before my dealer got the agreement from Yamaha, he suggested that those with a similar problem "with out of warranty bikes", to complain directly to Yamaha Customer Services, surely if enough people complain they will have to do something about it with a permanent solution.

Here's hoping, but not holding my breath.

Nibor

kev

Reaction score
looks like the same problem as on my 2017 new model, took it out today, it started soon as I turned the ignition key, not good, better start looking for a dealer to sort it out as I'm not going back to the place I bought it from, they couldn't even do the 600 mile oil change right, only got 10 miles down the road when the oil warning came on?

Littlebruv

Reaction score
These sticking starter buttons, wouldn't WD40 help ?. Surly it must be something to do with wet or grime getting into the switch return mechanism

stevierst

Reaction score
My XSR 9 does it too, and has done for the last 7-8 months. Pretty shoddy really for a new bike.

And my mates MT09 did it before he sold it on, as the new buyer complained to him when he started it just with the key!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R6owdlad

Reaction score
These sticking starter buttons, wouldn't WD40 help ?. Surly it must be something to do with wet or grime getting into the switch return mechanism
Nope
It doesnt help.
Tried WD40 and ACF 50 and no difference. Think its basically a design fault. Mine was replaced under warranty about 3 1/2 years ago and problem was same with replacement.
Managed to live with it but its still a bit annoying...

kernow

Reaction score
May I make a suggestion here guys, instead of using WD 40 or ACF 50, which granted has it uses, why not give a silicone based dry lube a try which is made for plastics and the like to prevent sticking etc. I've used it for years on various things and it works well, see below this was the tin I purchased recently.

Silicone Lube Lubricant 500ml Dry Invisible Silicone Rust Protection Wynns 10479 | eBay

So far my 2014 MT-09 hasn't given ant problems with this starter/kill-switch but after reading all the problems here I think I may give the switch a liberal spray.......just in case. :)

nibor

Reaction score
WD40, electrical contact lubricant, silicone sprays etc. we have tried them all, but unfortunately none of them work, because there is insufficient clearance for any lubricant to gain access under the red slide switch and into the internals of the switch where the problem lies.

My dealer although he admits to changing this troublesome crap switch on approx. 12 other bikes, he doesn't really accept there is a real problem. He said he thinks it is because owners like myself (and probably many others) use our bikes "all year round". His statement implies that he thinks moisture or some other damaging products must be entering the internals of the switch and doing the damage, and that implies Yamaha bikes (fitted with the same switch)should really only be used in the drier summer months, he is obviously blind to the fact that it also rains in the better months.

What a load of manure, my previous bike a Honda CB1300, I never had a problem with either the start/stop switches, or any other electrical components for that matter during the 10 years that I owned it.

Nibor

kev

Reaction score
well mine started doing it when only a few months old and before any bad weather, also do Yamaha agree that their bikes should only be used in summer?

nibor

Reaction score
I had every intention of contacting Yamaha customer services regarding this ongoing problem, but my dealer informs me that they wont be interested because it is not a safety issue.

It appears we will have to live with it.

trythat

Reaction score
Have a look at the video, it's pretty easy to do, looks as though it's to much grease. You could tell the difference from when he started to finish. Might be worth watching and then get onto dealer. Seems a common problem, not just with the 09

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Yep
I watched the video and then stripped mine down and cleaned it out so there was no trace of WD 40 (which is what I'd used in the past) and got rid of all the grease that was in there.
Job done and problem solved!
Wonder why Yammy don't let their dealers know about this simple fix...rather than replacing under warranty ...

trythat

Reaction score
Yep
I watched the video and then stripped mine down and cleaned it out so there was no trace of WD 40 (which is what I'd used in the past) and got rid of all the grease that was in there.
Job done and problem solved!
Wonder why Yammy don't let their dealers know about this simple fix...rather than replacing under warranty ...
Glad it was helpful, like I said, I like his channel. Please leave him a comment if you have time.

TariqH

Reaction score
Talking to a club member with a 07 switch problem he replaced the internal spring with a slightly longer one bought of EBay and that has done the trick. No problem at the moment with my 09 Tracer 2015.

waynestractor

Reaction score
I never had an issue with mine until last week when I installed my new Gilles risers and Rizoma bars, now it seems to be sticky. I think it may have something to do with how I tightened it down. I wonder if that is the cause of some of these?