Stock suspension settings...

RipGroove

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about a lot and there is already a lot of good info on the subject here on the forums but I found this today and I'm going to give it a try...

[video=youtube;uBPheLrnHVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPheLrnHVo[/video]

Basically he weighs about 200lbs and has his suspension set to:

Front Preload: All the way in
Front Damping: 1/2 turn out from full in

Rear Preload: Position 5 out of 7
Rear Damping: 1 turn out from full in

This info has come from here, the FZ-09 is right down the bottom of the page.

And the initial test with the magazine staff where they came up with the collective suspension settings is here, the actual weights of the riders is not known BUT their heights are 6'1", 5'8" & 6'4".

Not saying it will work for everyone but as this lot are happy with it and it doesn't cost anything it's worth a go.

Burg308

Reaction score
I know more about women than suspension settings,but yes there's always a but,I weigh about 200 lbs as the yanks say and I've just done the mods as suggested above,the bike is much much better,I've had it nearly 12 months now and have struggled with it,thank you
For the info it is much appreciated,only question why couldn't the dealer have set it up to suite my weight,it took 10 minutes.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I've always thought that when you buy a new/used bike from a dealer they should at least set the sag to your weight. Mines being setup to my weight on 18th of this month so it'll be interesting to see what settings they come up with.

Sent from my iPhone

derek28862

Reaction score
Have mine set to this setting and ok when you are taking it steady but when you push it over the bumps and on bends it goes out of shape i will definitely need new suspension before it spits me off

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Hi all, great info on the many threads.

I got my MT end of June last year, as far as I know, stock, out of box settings, first of all, the rear bounced all over the road, so I cranked up full. Then test rode round the streets, adjusted every few miles. Didn't really know anything on front setup, or what to do, so left alone. I found I could not ride corners at speed with any confidence as it felt like the front end wanted to go straight...

A fellow MT owner popped in the other night and we had a chat about it.... MT came out...we were about the same height and weight so I emulated his settings.

My current setting:

Me:
Height: 5 ft 5 in
Weight: 12 stone (168 lbs) .... Yes, slightly overweight...

Rear:
Preload: 6 (2 above my stock setting)
Damping: 2 turns out from full in... (But still tweaking, under test)... UPDATE: settled on 1 1/2 turns out

Front:
Preload: 4 full rings
Damping: full in, 1/3 turn out

Ok, with these settings, I have done about 90 miles through country roads and main roads, NO Motorways
The front end now points in the right direction, it turns in beautifully, slow tight and long sweeping turns, the bike has changed for the better. Throttling on coming out of corners is fantastic. For the first time I took a well known double apex, with a very small amount of rear brake on the 2nd bank with complete control.... I couldn't do this before... No doubt I will tweak a bit.. But boy, did I enjoy this ride out..

For any new MT owners, believe me, the MT is fantastic with better settings... Don't just ride away on stock... Try and get dealer to adjust...

The chicken strips are getting narrower.... Yay!

Last edited:

Psycho Paul

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my bit. I'm 6ft and 200lbs as they say.

I have the stock suspension set to

Front compression 2 rings out. And rebound 4 clicks out.

Rear spring set on 5 . 7 being hardest. Rebound 1/2 turn out.

I have found this to be ridable on the road. I do ride hard and fast.

I would only change the suspension components if I was doing regular track days.

If the bike came from the the dealer set up correctly we wouldn't be having this descussion.

RANT OVER

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
well, here's my setting...
5ft 7" and 182lbs

front: preload on full, rebound 3 clicks back from full
rear: preload on full, rebound on 3/4 of a turn back from full

it's stiff but I'm used to that sort of set up and it handles much better than the stock setup, which was dier

Locksmith

Reaction score
Is the Fork rebound setting a clicker, adjusted mine yesterday and it turned but didn't click?

lee1980

Reaction score
I re-adjusted mine on weekend and it does click for sure and I think its like every full turn.

I turned both in front and back all way in then backed off about 1 full turn, not touched rear preload, wound front up to about 2 rings showing better but not best damped either way. I am around 13 stone so not heaviest so can imagine it heavier not good at all.

I guess they don't want to be seen to be making it to stiff and un-forgiving but the front damping is very soft. Was ok when I got in winter but now in dry summer its very noticeable now im braking hard.

Last edited:

sigtrm

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about a lot and there is already a lot of good info on the subject here on the forums but I found this today and I'm going to give it a try...

[video=youtube;uBPheLrnHVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPheLrnHVo[/video]

Basically he weighs about 200lbs and has his suspension set to:

Front Preload: All the way in
Front Damping: 1/2 turn out from full in

Rear Preload: Position 5 out of 7
Rear Damping: 1 turn out from full in

This info has come from here, the FZ-09 is right down the bottom of the page.

And the initial test with the magazine staff where they came up with the collective suspension settings is here, the actual weights of the riders is not known BUT their heights are 6'1", 5'8" & 6'4".

Not saying it will work for everyone but as this lot are happy with it and it doesn't cost anything it's worth a go.
FRONT: Spring preload—2 lines showing on adjuster; rebound damping—0.5 turn out from full stiff; ride height—0mm showing above top triple clamp

What ride height is he talking about?

Kinjane

Reaction score
What ride height is he talking about?
Probably the amount of fork tube showing above the top fork yoke. Stock setting is zero.
If you check the video at 2.05 the top of the tube is level with the top of the yoke. Only the fork cap itself sits proud.

Last edited:

Davy

Reaction score
Maybe earlier models had clickers and newer one didn't or visa-versa.

Mines doesn't btw, bought S̶e̶p̶t̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ August 2014

Last edited: