Suspension: Maximum Load (Tracer)

Jordo27

Reaction score
Posted this in the Technical Thread, thought it maybe more appropriate here (bear with me new to forum)

Hi Everyone,

First post as an excited Tracer owner - today I purchased a new MT-09 Tracer (stoked!), but I need your help and advice.....

In reading through the operating manual it advises the safe maximum load for the motorcycle including rider, pillion and gear is 180kg (397lbs or 28 stone) I find this disappointing and hard to believe as the bike is advertised and marketed as a two-up sports-tourer. I am 6'4 and weigh 100kg (16 stone or 220lbs) and my wife who is also tall at 5'11 and weighs approx 75kg (165lbs or 12 stone) which means with our riding gear the bike is at max load.

I spoke with the dealer who advised in speaking with Yamaha that if I upgrade the rear shock/ suspension to a specific one that is suitable to support our weight with gear, the bike will be able to support an increased load. The chassis and subframe will be fine.

Is this true?

If yes, any recommendations on a suitable shock/ rear suspension?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Jordo

carsicchris

Reaction score
Hi JORDO , yeah got the same type of problem .I was told by my dealer that the Yamaha figures are on the safe side for the bike .After all that I went for a hyperpro kit front and rear springs £230 fitted myself, a good mornings work.