Suspension upgrades

marksim

Reaction score
Took my bike out for a decent ride today with a mate who also has a MT.
we swopped over for a few miles and both of us couldnt believe the difference between the two.
His is completely standard regarding the suspension and he was amazed how my Ohlins Andreani combo has transformed the bike.
To be honest it wouldnt take much to improve it LOL.
Ive used Nitron,Maxton,Ohlins,and Hyper-pro in the past for both road and track all with great results so im not saying which is best.
Set up correctly there all good.
It comes down to preference of choice and of course price.
Got to be 1 of the best mods to do on these bikes,What amazes me is for the £761.00 you can get this kit for,why Yamaha didnt do it in the first place.
Im sure Yamaha could of fit this as standard for about £300 on the standard bike price ?

Bon

Reaction score
Funnily enough I went out at lunch time for a ride on mine. 1st ride out this year and only about 2 or 3 rides since I had the suspension sorted last September.
I noticed several things. 1st what a bloody great engine the 09 has. 2nd how nicely the S20s warmed up nice and quickly even on cold roads and C. What a great difference the Matris fork cartridges and Nitron rear shock have made to the feel of the ride. Was only going to take the bike up and down the local Bypass just to give it a run through the gears and charge the battery but by the end of the bypass, I went back home the long way down the many dual carriageways and roundabouts that we [apparently] love here in Milton Keynes. I only had one very small moment and that was on cold tyres / painted lines and [I suspect] possibly diesel.
Oh and as a sideline.. That lovely new seat I bought from Steve Radley is Fecking Awsome ! Slightly higher than stock but a hell of a difference in comfort and feel.

flipper

Reaction score
I went out on Saturday to try out the O2 mod and reminded myself that the suspension is fantastic with the Nitron and fork revalve. So smooth yet stable.

I don't see that Yamaha could fit a decent quality shock and forks and keep the price reasonable. Manufacturers just don't work that way - the shock would a be a grand. A decent option would be to do like Aprilia and offer a proper shock as a genuine aftermarket accessory, but then Yamaha may feel that they're admitting they built the bike down to a price.

fizzy

Reaction score
Took my bike out for a decent ride today with a mate who also has a MT.
we swopped over for a few miles and both of us couldnt believe the difference between the two.
His is completely standard regarding the suspension and he was amazed how my Ohlins Andreani combo has transformed the bike.
To be honest it wouldnt take much to improve it LOL.
Ive used Nitron,Maxton,Ohlins,and Hyper-pro in the past for both road and track all with great results so im not saying which is best.
Set up correctly there all good.
It comes down to preference of choice and of course price.
Got to be 1 of the best mods to do on these bikes,What amazes me is for the £761.00 you can get this kit for,why Yamaha didnt do it in the first place.
Im sure Yamaha could of fit this as standard for about £300 on the standard bike price ?
Totally agree mate,,, especially when yamaha own Ohlins

Bon

Reaction score
Don't think they do still own Ohlins now. Have a feeling ive read somewhere that its back to Swedish ownership again ?
Might be wrong though.

marksim

Reaction score
Yes Ohlins was bought back by the Swedes,but still think they would of done a deal on the amount they would of wanted.
Taking in to account the cost of the standard crap thats on the bike a few hundred quid would of done it.
Wot the hell do i know LOL

boro

Reaction score
Funnily enough I went out at lunch time for a ride on mine. 1st ride out this year and only about 2 or 3 rides since I had the suspension sorted last September.
I noticed several things. 1st what a bloody great engine the 09 has. 2nd how nicely the S20s warmed up nice and quickly even on cold roads and C. What a great difference the Matris fork cartridges and Nitron rear shock have made to the feel of the ride. Was only going to take the bike up and down the local Bypass just to give it a run through the gears and charge the battery but by the end of the bypass, I went back home the long way down the many dual carriageways and roundabouts that we [apparently] love here in Milton Keynes. I only had one very small moment and that was on cold tyres / painted lines and [I suspect] possibly diesel.
Oh and as a sideline.. That lovely new seat I bought from Steve Radley is Fecking Awsome ! Slightly higher than stock but a hell of a difference in comfort and feel.
Nice one I lived in MK for many years and those big roundabouts are a dream on a sorted bike (ZX7R at the time sorted by maxton), Now got zx10r rear and 0.9 with 10wt oil up front..magic

Booney

Reaction score
Bought my MT a week ago and it hasn't stopped raining since so not ridden it yet!:(
So been looking at the suspension options as I'm thinking that I'll be disappointed with the standard especially
as I'm used to full ohlins on my Duc!
I think fine to offer a budget bike, (the FZ600 was the same, great motor,good brakes,crap suspension!) but Yamaha should offer an SP model with the Ohlins and a few trimmings for say a grand extra and I'm sure the more enthusiastic riders would go for it.
Looking forward to riding the MT next weekend when it finally stops raining!:cool:

Booney