suspension

Reaction score
Fork springs hyper pro, ohlins or k-tech or hagon? rear shock wilbers, ohlins,hyperpro nitron or k tech?
I way about 14.4 stone with gear on which would be cheapest option of those above ? CHEERS

chump

Reaction score
fork springs - sonic, ohlins, k-tech, wilbers. they're all linear and the springs don't know or care what brand they are.

shock - Nitron or Ohlins both have the preload at the bottom, and are proper shocks with a separating piston. Wilbers doesn't have preload at the bottom so you can't adjust it on the bike without a remote preload adjuster. The cheaper wilbers is an emulsion unit. Maxton are worthwhile too as are k-tech.

cheapest shock will be Nitron NTR1 or Ohlins YA335 both "basic"without the remote compression adjuster.

Reaction score
Cheers I'm not expecting sport bike but just stable would be good I hate the front end feel it wallows and dives. so about £550 then? I've never heard of Sonic are they cheaper or dearer

Reaction score
Mega bike I love it but scary with the suspension I bet they are a serious bit of kit with the suspension sorted.

chump

Reaction score
depends what you came from. my previous bike was an XJR1300. Big and heavy, but with proper cartridge forks and Ohlins at the back. Still wobbled though. MT-09 isn't that bad tbh but could be stiffer.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
It is not a matter of stifness but how the horizontal rear suspension absorves road surface and react friendly to the rider.
KYB zx10r '08-'10 rear shock is equipped with a 14mm nut for adjust high speed compresion dumping, a screw for adjust low speed compresion dumping and another screw for rebound.
It's spring is 90kg/cm, which is ideal for skinny/slim riders as most of the Japanese. To put it on MT-09 you need to unscrew the bolt that connects shock and swingarm and also unscrew the bolt at the top of the shock under the tank. With the help of a mate pull the OEM shock out and put back the zx shock with gas bottle facing front and downwards. Screw the bolts, adjust the sag (180mm spring's height for a 68kg/154lbs rider's weight) adjust compresions in the middle and start to add as rebound is needed for your riding style..
There is no need to cut any plastic at all. The shock of ZX is vertical installed on zx and has to be istalled horizontally on mt-09.
Ohlins has heavier springs for this shock for 60 euros.
For me it is the best cheap mode for a cheap bike..

Shaun64

Reaction score
I've had Andreani fork cartridges fitted to my tracer £420 that's me taking the fork legs out and replacing them reactive suspension in York,changing the fork Spings is around £300 for the bit extra I would go for the proper job,I've gone for a k-tech razor R on the rear £600 great rear road shock which is a fraction of the weight of the standard one,I am really impressed with the k-tech rear shock as the ride is excellent,Gareth at reactive suspension can get you all k-tech shocks etc and service and repair them as he's a authorised dealer.

Val

Reaction score
It is not a matter of stifness but how the horizontal rear suspension absorves road surface and react friendly to the rider.
KYB zx10r '08-'10 rear shock is equipped with a 14mm nut for adjust high speed compresion dumping, a screw for adjust low speed compresion dumping and another screw for rebound.
It's spring is 90kg/cm, which is ideal for skinny/slim riders as most of the Japanese. To put it on MT-09 you need to unscrew the bolt that connects shock and swingarm and also unscrew the bolt at the top of the shock under the tank. With the help of a mate pull the OEM shock out and put back the zx shock with gas bottle facing front and downwards. Screw the bolts, adjust the sag (180mm spring's height for a 68kg/154lbs rider's weight) adjust compresions in the middle and start to add as rebound is needed for your riding style..
There is no need to cut any plastic at all. The shock of ZX is vertical installed on zx and has to be istalled horizontally on mt-09.
Ohlins has heavier springs for this shock for 60 euros.
That sounds like a great mod - any chance you know the part number for the Ohlins springs?

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
That sounds like a great mod - any chance you know the part number for the Ohlins springs?
You have to speak with an Ohlins dealer to order a heavier spring for kawasaki zx10r '08-'10 kyb rear shock.
The dealer will open ohlins catalogue and find out which ohlins spring (length/load) suits to your shock according your body weight.
For the greek dealer in Athens is a matter of a couple of minutes to find the apropriate stiffer spring. The price is 60 euros and he change it for free/no charge!!
As for me, (67kg w/o gear) the standard spring is OK -according ohlins dealer...
If i remember well there are some heavier mates who had match the standard spring from "crappy" mt09s' shock (witch is stiffer on 10,2kg/mm) on the zx shock (9kg/mm) with good results.
:cool:

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Getting the suspension sorted is the best (of many) mods I have done of the bike, I spent about £800 and have the Maxton GP20 cartridges and the RT10 rear damper both sprung and valved for my weight. It is like riding a different machine now, I have much more confidence when cornering and braking. I have a pdf of the current Maxton spec sheet for the MT if you would like to take a look at it.

HyperDave

Reaction score
Hi I have just fitted Andreani Cartridge kit to front end and Ohlins rear shock. It was set up to my weight and took a couple of weeks to get here but well worth the money. I bought it from a company in Italy, I did the install myself so it only cost me $1500 Aus. I consider it money well spent.

Fluke

Reaction score
I went the cheap but exceptionally cheerful route.
Ohlins springs and heavier oil up front and an 09 ZX10 shock in the back.
This setup with Michelin PR4s gives me stacks of confidence through and accelerating out of corners as well as rock solid high speed riding.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Thanx for the offer but out of my budget Im afraid
Smile Rear shock ZX6RR 2006 & ZX10R 2010 and possible hyperpro progressive front springs

Dear all,

The past year I had my mind sorted on fixing the suspension.
Started with a ZX10R, and changed to a ZX6RR shock once I found one online.
However, the girlfriend is not really enthusiastic to hop on behind with all these DIY changes.
Meaning I am going to change towards a proper aftermarket solution, where I can easily adjust en change the settings when riding pillion.
This results in that a few components in excellent state will come available.
I am changing out everything in the end of this year, meaning the ZX6RR and hyperpro front are both still mounted on my bike.

Before posting them on fleebay or the dutch version (marktplaats) or on the dutch forums, I wanted to check the interest here first.
As I can imagine certain people here are looking for the ZX6RR shock with much energy. If people are interested I will put it as reserved.

ZX6RR shock; 150 euros as suzuki parts are included. without the parts 120 euro.
ZX6RR shock from 2006 completely rebuilt/revised by a local suspension shop (jd-shocks in the netherlands).
SUZUKI PARTS for fitting without drilling are also with this part. As it is fitted now according to the explanation on the FZ forums. ( meaning with suzuki parts to fit the 10mm hole)

ZX10R; 80 euro
ZX10R shock from 2010. I even made a component on the CNC machine which can be placed underneath the spring to gain more preload. (loose supplied).
The holes are drilled to 12mm so they fit the MT-09. Low amount of KM's on the shock.

Progressive hyperpro springs 100 euros
With the new kit, new front springs will be delivered also. Meaning I have an extra set of progressive hyperpro springs made for the MT/FZ-09 available.
No oil obviously.

Pictures will follow from the ZX6RR shock once it is demounted. I will edit this post once I made the pictures. ZX10R shock will follow soon.

Last edited by Stuggesjoerd; Yesterday at 01:16 PM.

Go for the zx10r '10 rear shock.... start from the back and your bike will become more balanced as -from the factory- its standard setting is unbalanced (soft front-stiff rear)..
The zx shock is the "best value for money" sollution.. then try a heavier fork oil before you spend money on front springs..

Reaction score
budget!!!!

Sounds good so how much for the zx10r shock and fittings and the front springs posted to me in the traitor state of Great Britain. I can get Ktech springs a spring compressor and Ktech rear spring delivered for £186 and I know they will fit no problems so what would be your best price in Brexit money ££££££?

Smile Rear shock ZX6RR 2006 & ZX10R 2010 and possible hyperpro progressive front springs

Dear all,

The past year I had my mind sorted on fixing the suspension.
Started with a ZX10R, and changed to a ZX6RR shock once I found one online.
However, the girlfriend is not really enthusiastic to hop on behind with all these DIY changes.
Meaning I am going to change towards a proper aftermarket solution, where I can easily adjust en change the settings when riding pillion.
This results in that a few components in excellent state will come available.
I am changing out everything in the end of this year, meaning the ZX6RR and hyperpro front are both still mounted on my bike.

Before posting them on fleebay or the dutch version (marktplaats) or on the dutch forums, I wanted to check the interest here first.
As I can imagine certain people here are looking for the ZX6RR shock with much energy. If people are interested I will put it as reserved.

ZX6RR shock; 150 euros as suzuki parts are included. without the parts 120 euro.
ZX6RR shock from 2006 completely rebuilt/revised by a local suspension shop (jd-shocks in the netherlands).
SUZUKI PARTS for fitting without drilling are also with this part. As it is fitted now according to the explanation on the FZ forums. ( meaning with suzuki parts to fit the 10mm hole)

ZX10R; 80 euro
ZX10R shock from 2010. I even made a component on the CNC machine which can be placed underneath the spring to gain more preload. (loose supplied).
The holes are drilled to 12mm so they fit the MT-09. Low amount of KM's on the shock.

Progressive hyperpro springs 100 euros
With the new kit, new front springs will be delivered also. Meaning I have an extra set of progressive hyperpro springs made for the MT/FZ-09 available.
No oil obviously.

Pictures will follow from the ZX6RR shock once it is demounted. I will edit this post once I made the pictures. ZX10R shock will follow soon.

Last edited by Stuggesjoerd; Yesterday at 01:16 PM.

Go for the zx10r '10 rear shock.... start from the back and your bike will become more balanced as -from the factory- its standard setting is unbalanced (soft front-stiff rear)..
The zx shock is the "best value for money" sollution.. then try a heavier fork oil before you spend money on front springs..