Tall screen or extension

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I know the original screen on the Tracer 900 is noisy at speeds but as anyone tried a screen extension whether a clip on or screw fitting type?, I have read other members reviews about other makes of screens but as anyone fitted a Palmer products screen fitting kit with screen yet ?, my brother as the kit + screen on a KTM 990 SMT which is a big improvement over standard one.

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
That looks an interesting bit of kit, plenty of adjustment and I like the additional mounting bar option, let us know if you go for it and how it performs.

On a side note I bought a powerbronze touring screen and was hugely disappointed with it, so much flex! It just slammed backwards and forwards to the point of making my think it would snap. Replaced with an Ermax touring jobbie that i'm very happy with.

Shaun64

Reaction score
The standard Yamaha screen is shite I found it very noisy so I fitted a Givi touring screen on my tracer which is very quiet but the top of the screen was in my eye line I couldn't get used to that,I think it was Trevor on here who cut his givi touring screen down which looked good,I ended buying a zero gravity d/b screen which works well,I think if noise is your problem have a look a ultimate hearing ear plugs as they are very good at keeping noise down.

Vodka Monsta

Reaction score
I bought a cheap screen extender from china for about £23 and reduces noise considerably, not perfect, but a cheap solution

Sven

Reaction score
I fitted a clip- on screen extender, like this one off ebay.
Wind screen deflector clear windshield windscreen LOW motorcycle motorbike | eBay
It did improve things but didn't cure it completely. I took it off as it really didn't suit the bike - it was very rounded where as the Tracer is quite angular!
Next i tried the tall Powerbronze screen. This was useless - too tall, too flimsy & didn't look good. I took a saw to it & cut 3 inches off the top. Looks much better now - same height as the original screen but much wider & its tinted. Still better than the original but not perfect.
But I've also been looking at the Palmer products screen bracket. I had one fitted to my V-strom & it worked really well. Only thing I don't like about them is that they move the screen about 2 inches away from the normal position so looks a bit odd.
If i do buy one, it will be the last money I spend on the screen! I think earplugs are the best & cheapest option!!

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and replies, much appreciated.
The concerns about the Palmer products screen fitting even though it makes the screen look a little odd making it more forward, I have seen some people with tracers put a number rubber washers behind the original screen top fixings which makes it do the same job with some good results....As mentioned about my brothers screen mount and screen as well it looks better the the KTM tall screen, the only thing is price, if I go just for the fitting or add the screen as well......first thing is just to get the bike run in then decide which way to go concerning the screen

robin

Reaction score
You could just try some spacers to hold the screen say a cms or 2 away from the clocks. This allows the wind to come up under the screen. It causes a vortex when it meets the wind on the front, pushing it higher up. It's a no cost option and may just be good.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
You could just try some spacers to hold the screen say a cms or 2 away from the clocks. This allows the wind to come up under the screen. It causes a vortex when it meets the wind on the front, pushing it higher up. It's a no cost option and may just be good.
Thx for that, another idea to try

Littlebruv

Reaction score
IMG_20170417_133554971.jpgIMG_20170417_133429460.jpgIMG_20170417_133442068.jpg
These are pictures of the Palmer products screen mount for the Tracer 900, it does look a bit weird but it not only can go up or down but also tilt action as well, once tested i will update a reply

Last edited:

Sven

Reaction score
Waiting with baited breath on your report. I have my finger hovering over the button to buy one of these!

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Waiting with baited breath on your report. I have my finger hovering over the button to buy one of these![/QU

Only doing a short ride Friday for first service but should give me an idea how it feels with the screen on the mount, only problem I had was with the instructions, there is a picture missing concerning the fitting of the mount, awaiting comeback from Palmer products

Last edited:

Chuck Thrillseeker

Reaction score
i would like a bigger screen but am having trouble finding one that has good comments? The Givi 2122DT the touring screen mentioned earlier as being too high? i really like the look of this one. s-l500.jpg

The other one i am looking at is the Puig Touring screen This one looks ok too. s-l500.jpg

so any con's pro's with either of these two?

thanks Chuck

Last edited:

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Hi Chuck
I had a good look at considering the Puig screen, they also do matching wind protectors for the handlebars as well, but everyone had a different preference concerning tall screens so I opted for a different approached, my bruv as the Palmer products fitting and screen on a KTM 990 SMT which was far better than standard and much better than the KTM tall screen. Which ever way you go ok to let me know which screen you get.
Thx

I have now ridden with the Palmer products screen mount but it can make a little difference but not much, possibly due to the shape of the screen in the first place, so my next path to go down now is to change the screen

Last edited: