The joy of short screens....

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
Fed up with noise and buffeting available as standard,I have Just fitted the short Powerbronze screen. I am not a fan of big screens, and will save the standard one for the winter.

Anyway, I went out for a run last night and crikey! what a difference!! I'm 5ft 7 and find the standard screen, on any setting, very noisy, but also the sound is an unpleasant buffeting roar. I also find that high screens (my Tiger 800 was the same) limit the ventilation flow through my helmet (Arai or Scuhberth) and take away the "support" that a naked bike gives to the upper body (I've been riding for 40 years and have a16.5 inch neck, no problem dealing with windblast here!).

There is still plenty of noise with the low screen, but its much more pleasant helmet wind noise, with no buffeting and is proportional to speed, You can almost hear the standard exhaust below 50 mph.. I can live with that. However, the amazing thing is how different it makes the bike feel (to me at least). It may be part psychological, but the bike feels much more responsive and lively now. I think that the standard "sail" must have an aerodynamic effect over 60 mph or so. I corner with more speed and lean angle with no stability issues at higher speed. I now have wind pressure on my shoulders, That feels much more comfortable than an unsupported slouch.

I have read how lively the standard MT09 is, its often described as a big RD350LC (and I have an RD so I understand what they mean). My tracer failed to live up to this with the standard screen, now its much more enjoyable.

This is not a plug for Powerbronze, I have no connection to them and I'm sure that other short screens are available. Actually, if available on ebay, I would cut down a standard screen myself as I prefer the lower edge shape and recessed screen screws. If you doubt this, and fancy a short screen, take the standard one off and have a test ride. If you are not a fan of big screens you may agree with me...