Theft attempt - opinions om insurance outcome

martwho

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So only had my 2019 MT09 SP for 2 months before 3 toerags attempted to steal from outside my place of work. They got chased off by a couple of my workmates who caught them in the act but not before they had broken the steering lock and dropped it on the floor.
Net result was broken steering lock i.e. bent pin and socket on frame that it locates in damaged. bent clutch lever, bent handlebars, steering pissed i.e. when front wheel straight the headlight is pointing to the left, i assume the forks are just all twisted up in the yokes, key very difficult to engage and turn bike on, scuffed bar end, scuffed yamaha engine protector, scuffed left footpeg, little dink in rear axle mounted number plate holder.
Apart for the steering lock, front end issues mostly cosmetic.

Anyway bike gets collected tomorrow for inspection by the insurance approved agent (4th Dimension in Egham) had to wait a week for it. I've kinda convinced myself already that they are likely to right it off as to replace the key cylinder which comes as a set with new keys and ecu is £1100 for the parts alone and the frame has been damaged. I know this is formed of 2 parts but will the really go to the trouble of stripping the whole bike down for this if they can even buy a frame at the moment. Fowlers list it in their parts drawings but not as an item you can buy.

anyone got any experience of a similar scenario? what was your outcome? Is it likely they'll write it off?

Cheers.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
If the frame is damaged then the economic cost would probably be cast as a right off. I had a low-speed collision into the back of a delivery van, the insurance classed it as a non economical repair due to the headlight on its own is nearly £1000, got the bike back and now fully repaired