Throttle Problems

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Having problems with the throttle on my Tracer, closed throttle yesterday it was ticking over at 4000rpm, nearly crashed last Friday on a slow right hander after I braked from about 80mph, thought I was just being ham fisted with the throttle, but after over 40 years experience I am not ham fisted with the throttle. I hadn't realised until yesterday that I had this obviously intermittant problem. Switched the bike off and started it again and it was back to normal. Anybody else had similar issues, it will be going straight back to the dealers.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Has anything been logged in the malfunction history code display?
Which can be viewed by accessing DIAG 61

Dug

Reaction score
Having problems with the throttle on my Tracer, closed throttle yesterday it was ticking over at 4000rpm, nearly crashed last Friday on a slow right hander after I braked from about 80mph, thought I was just being ham fisted with the throttle, but after over 40 years experience I am not ham fisted with the throttle. I hadn't realised until yesterday that I had this obviously intermittant problem. Switched the bike off and started it again and it was back to normal. Anybody else had similar issues, it will be going straight back to the dealers.
That is scary. I say it needs to go to the Yamaha dealer to get looked at. You can't have that happen again, next time might not be so lucky.
I had it happen on a FI 4 stroke dirt bike, the rerun cable from the throttle to the throttle body was getting stuck in the cable housing. I pulled the return cable off and then worked reliably. Not suggesting that is a fix on the Tracer with the FlyByWire system.

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Dug,
Will be taking the bike in to the dealers next week. Sadly the dealer Ian Bell of Ian Bell Motorcycles was killed at the TT this year so it has been a tough time for all concerned. I count myself as a friend of Ian's and with two other bikes in the garage have stayed away as it is a genuine family run business and they can do without any unnecessary pressure.
I agree it's a really scary problem, when it happened the first time I had no idea what was going on, every time I released the brake the bike was picking up and heading off the road.
Will update when the bike has been in.
Cheers
Alan