Tilting Stock Handlebars

Hexme

Reaction score
At the moment my right wrist is in a slightly uncomfortable position so would like to tweak it before looking at replacing them with a different shape before going touring.

I did read in the manual that came with the bike the angle can be changed, is this easy, the book quotes that this should only be done by a yamaha technician... I don't believe that for a moment but...

robin

Reaction score
Just untighten the 4 bolts at the centre of the bars. Not too much then move the bars the way you want. Tighten the bolts again. Now pull the bars each way checking that the don't hit the tank.
If you need more adjustment then you could fit handle bar risers, to allow more movement before hitting the tank.

It's a good idea to put a paint dot on the bars and clamps so you can put them back there if you want.

stringman

Reaction score
Thanks Robin, easy as that hehe.
I had the same problem
1st thing I did was rotate the handlebar towards me.
Dramatically improved things but I didn't realise how long the brake lever bolt was. Cue tank damage.

The other option is to rotate the bar risers 180 deg, this has the effect of moving the bars 10mm forward.
Its a pain to do as you need a very long extention bar and a 14mm socket.
To be honest I didn't notice much difference.

I have been told that swapping to MT09 OEM bars makes a huge difference to the handling but if it is sore wrists you are suffering from then you need to get bars with the ends more angled back. eg Renthals or similar. there are lots of posts over at the FJ09 forum (sorry if I shouldn't post a rival forum)