Today's MCN Naked test - blah!

Stripy

Reaction score
As many might know, MCN is pretty coloured by Triumph... no wonder the result! LOL

I still believe that the MT is WAY better than the Street Triple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spot

Reaction score
I thought everyone knew? MCN stands for "More Crap than News" :)

rob5006

Reaction score
I was expecting this. Motor cycle news should read' sponsored by Triumph'.
Did you happen to notice that the sell-out, oops, i meant shoot-out article was followed by 3 pages of Triumph ads?
Anyway, utube has a 'duel' between the MT09 and Street triple R. (Something impartial i hope. Unfortunately its in French, but it looks like it has more integrity than the MCN.
Expect all the monthly publications to start taking 'back-handers' for eliminating Triumphs competion. Had all this with my GSR which was brilliant!.
By the way, they never mention that the triple only does 40 mpg do they ? (Appalling fuel economy).
I will only consider opinions from people who have owned both the triple and the MT09.

rob5006

Reaction score
I think Neeves is the Jeremy clarkson of the bike world ! (make of that what you will)

rob5006

Reaction score
Sent you a private message, morten.
Re checking out MT09 Facebook page.-Really good !

Chris West

Reaction score
I feel slightly insulted by MCN, a bit like someone inappropriately criticising your kids but I personally couldn't give a monkey's.
I've ridden them both and chose the MT09 over the Street Triple.
Love it a little bit more everyday :)))

I wonder if the same thread is going on in the Aprilla forums lol

rob5006

Reaction score
MCN article has found its way to our sister site- FZ-09.
A 73 yr old man commented that he finds the throttle 'fine' !

Smurf

Reaction score
I have test rode the Street Triple and found it to be a very good bike to ride, I will soon test ride the MT-09 to compare the too. I really like the Triumph so the MT will need to be a very good bike indeed.

I have had many bikes over the years and read many reviews and find my opinions often differ to journalists, after all we are all different so I take what they say with a pinch of salt.

I am looking forward to test riding the MT before making my decision on which one to buy. I need a smaller lighter bike after a long illness and narrowed it down to these two.

Stripy

Reaction score
Smurf, welcome onboard.

One of the things i noticed as a great difference is the way the engine runs.
As the review in today's BIKE also mentions, the Street triple is very low geared. That means a lot of gearshifts.
The MT do city and country roads with bravour with out an instant stir in the gearbox, also because it have got the greater momentum.
Sound wise, i clearly prefer the MT, not to mention the exhaust with is much more refined and sporty on MT :)
Mileage on the MT is at least 15-20% better (depends on your right hand though...) than the Street Triple. You might fear, that the fuel tank is too small on the MT; the fact is, that the 17.4 litre tank runs out at about the same milage as the MT. You've then saved 3 litres for each tank - that is worth taking into account too?
Finally, service costs are tremendious high on a Triumph. Look for 350-£500 for each service. ouch!

I have just got the first done at SMC in Sheffield. Yamaha pays first services labour, you pay the oil and filter + you get data tag added for FREE.

My '12 Street Triple R developed a leak of coolant; dealer had to open engine at 2800 miles, and struggled to put it together, as they couldn't get the right gaskets. That is worrying to hear for their most famous engine.
Battery went dead at first winter, because Triumph is VERY sensitive to the voltage output, and simply refuse to start.
The MT compared starts almost just by looking at the start button! :)

Seating is a different story. I'm a full grown adult with ...erm.. a bit extra on the side bones ;)
The tank on the Street Triple felt being in the way, you lean over the tank.
MT is much more gently and let you move around easily.

Another thing i have noticed, is how sharp the two bikes can turn.
With the Street Triple, a u-turn on the road becomes a 22-point turn.... to complete the u-turn without reversing, it will have to be on a dual carriage road :)
The MT is not fully as a supermotard, but it surely can make a good turn - which is also great for cornering at low speed, slides and drifts - not that i'd ever do that :D

But get out there and get a good test ride, come back with a huge smile and make your decision :)

Smurf

Reaction score
Not worried about the range too much anyway as I have a 100 mile back these days which is one of the reasons the GS has gone.Had a new triumph which needed 4 batteries in 4 years despite an optimate

If I get one it will be form CMC Clay Cross who seem decent enough. I have known the salesman I am talking to for years when he was at another dealership and has sold me many a bike.

Last edited:

Smurf

Reaction score
Well, took the MT out today for a good ride along with a mate trying a Street.

Good bike but I'm still no the wiser which I prefer although my mate definitely wants the Street.

I did not find the throttle response snatchy but he does. He is a relatively inexperienced rider while I am not so perhaps that is the difference. He preferred B mode, I prefer A once out of town. It has a fantastic engine.

Prefer the clocks on the Street but I would soon get used to the style on it.

Couldn't find any vagueness on the MT and I like the riding position better. Strangely it felt lighter at a stop. I would advise anyone taking an MT out to take as long as possible as it gets better the more you ride it so a quick run is not enough to appreciate the quality and fun to be had riding it.

Yahama have definately got a gem of a bike here and I am stiil undecided about which bike. I could go down to the deal I can get.

Stealth

Reaction score
Went for a longish test run to get more comfortable with the feel of the bike. Great motor, light clutch, easy gearbox etc., but the suspension was worse than I anticipated.

Once I started pushing the bike a bit more I found that 'tied in knots' feeling in quick bends. Admittedly I am in the mid 90kg weight range and it wasn't just diving under braking that was the issue.

Having ridden dirt and motards before I am familiar with long suspension travel, although that was with WP or Ohlins suspension, and this just didn't feel right. Maybe heavier springs and fork oil will help, but I wouldn't want to ride away from the dealers without doing something about it.