Tracer brake performance and brake fluid change process

mrmortar

Reaction score
Hello all,

I don't know about the rest of you on here but my Tracer is a brilliant bike but the brake feel less bitey/beefy then i'd prefer.

My first thought was that I might have a go a refreshing the fluid in the brakes as this has helped previous bikes I've owned, its looking a bit dark - only question is, can I follow the traditionally bleed process on this bike being as it has some fancy ABS/traction control system?

Second query, has anyone swapped out the stock pads for an alternative brand/type and does that offer any improvements.

I don't want to go any further than this with swapping hoses/calipers etc.

Thanks
MrMortor

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
The front brakes on my Tracer are fine, certainly much better than the Tiger 800 I had before. Do you mean that the front brake lever feels a little spongy and can be pulled back close to the bar? Mine does that and I think that its the flex in the rubber hoses. On other bikes like my FZ750 I have braided hoses fitted, this gives a much more "solid" feel at the lever, that in turn gives the impression of more "bite".

My Tigers brakes were improved (more bite) by fitting EBC GG pads (I understand that these are much less aggressive to the discs than HH compound). I will try GG pads when my originals wear out and braided hoses in about 5 years time...

stevecbr

Reaction score
Have you done many miles, is it possible the brakes have not yet bedded in?
I have the standard MT, now done over 12000 miles, the brakes are still on original pads and are powerful enough to lock the wheels easily (mines not abs)
I wouldnt have thought the fluid would need changing yet. As its hygroscopic, it will absorb water over time turning more darker, but in my experience this takes years

mrmortar

Reaction score
Has anyone bled the brakes on their Tracer then - my fluid is looked rather dark and i'd like to do it. Are there any special measures?

Shaun64

Reaction score
I've not changed the fluid on my tracer yet but I am going to each year as its very cheap to do,my last bike had abs (triumph daytona 675 2014 abs) and the procedure was just the same as non abs.regards brake bite I would take the pads out and clean them with brake cleaner & clean brush also do the same with the discs.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have got both bikes, and the front brake feel at the lever is different on both, at standstill I can pull the lever on the tracer all the way back to the bars, but on my 13 plate (non ABS) 09 it gets halfway and goes solid. Both bikes stop really well, so there is no real issue other than the feel. I just put it down to one having ABS and with more hoses in the system (8 I think) there is more to flex.

I think I will eventually change the Tracer hoses for braided, to see if that improves the feel.