Tracer Fork Oil

Scraggydog64

Reaction score
Evening All

I have just been trying to change the fork oil on my Tracer. Starting with the right hand leg the manual states 431 ml of oil should equate height of 175 mm.

As I did not completely strip the fork just removed the cap, spacer and spring I knew it would not take the full 431 ml. I pumped the fork and drained as much as i could and put 431 ml of oil in. This equated to height from the top of the fork leg of 95 mm. I pumped the damped rod and the fork leg numerous times and its still 95 mm. To get to the recommended 175 ml I had to remove 100 ml of oil. So I have only added 331 ml. Could 100 ml have been left in the forks?

It's the first time I have done an oil change on upside down forks but a 100 ml of old oil left in the fork seems a lot.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Michael

Sven

Reaction score
I haven't done upside down forks before, but normally the oil level is measured with the springs out & the forks fully compressed.
I've drained normal forks & had about 25-50ml of oil left in them but 100ml does sound a lot.
I'd remove some & bring back to the recommended 175mm otherwise you risk blowing the fork seals if it's overfilled.

robin

Reaction score
I haven't done upside down forks before, but normally the oil level is measured with the springs out & the forks fully compressed.
I've drained normal forks & had about 25-50ml of oil left in them but 100ml does sound a lot.
I'd remove some & bring back to the recommended 175mm otherwise you risk blowing the fork seals if it's overfilled.
It's the air space that matters. Springs out , after pumping a dozen times keep fork compresses then measure air gap. Fill or take away as required. A syringe with a pipe of correct length is great.

chump

Reaction score
I'd say you didn't leave the fork to drain long enough. It takes an age to get all the oil out.