Tracer non-standard screen adjustment for wind noise

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra info.

Those washers definitely make a difference! I've been thinking that it would be easier to go for a smaller screen as I know that would definitely work. There's no guarantee a longer screen would push the wind over my helmet, or at least my ears, but after years of riding bikes like that the thought of being able to take advantage of a tall screen is appealing!

I might try the Powerbronze flip screen and if that's not good enough, I think I'll go for the Ermax Sport style screen. It's a little bit bigger than your powerbronze screen, with cut outs for the hand guards and seems to complement the bike quite well.
Great...now I need to try the flip screen.
Somewhere out there is a screen that does it all.
Maybe Yamaha could've made a decent screen in the first place

Anyone want an OEM tall screen?

Whoppy

Reaction score
Touring Screen.

I, just bought a Powerbronze touring screen for the Tracer, its fantastic, just put 3 tap washers on each side, on the top holes behind the mounting frame, and longer bolts, I have put it in the middle of the adjustment setting for hight, I am 6 foot 2" and the wind just goes over my head. The screen is £75 & the size is 520x 380mm & 4mm thick. Hope this helps, Whoppy.

AvonDrei

Reaction score
My first post, please dont kill me for not writing perfect english!

Since I only have 2 days of riding on my Tracer and it is my first MC, I don't have any reference on what is much wind noise:confused:

I did try the different settings of the screen, and on high position the air hit me in the face. The low position in the chest, I prefered the last one.

I was wondering on buying the original taller screen, but after some research I am not so sure.

The mod on tilting the screen is interesting and I will try it.
What happens is that you let air flow on the back of the screen and that is likely the same as the Madstad solution?
Explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNANlO4dHM
Webpage: Home - Madstad Engineering

Best regards from an norwegian biker.:)

Rick01

Reaction score
Hi All I have just ordered a 09 Tracer did not like the wind noise with standed screen so road again without screen all good so I was going to cut down the original but I see that in the UK some have fitted other screens but I cannot find any on E-bay in Australia so I'm after contact information on where they can be purchased. I loved my test ride on the Tracer felt more at home than on my 09 cant wait for the arrival.
Cheers Rick

Paul

Reaction score
I, just bought a Powerbronze touring screen for the Tracer, its fantastic, just put 3 tap washers on each side, on the top holes behind the mounting frame, and longer bolts, I have put it in the middle of the adjustment setting for hight, I am 6 foot 2" and the wind just goes over my head. The screen is £75 & the size is 520x 380mm & 4mm thick. Hope this helps, Whoppy.
I bought one of these a couple of weeks back and have been having issues with wind noise. I will try the washers (have some lying around somewhere).
Can I ask where you got the longer plastic screws from?
Also how fast have you taken the bike? I'm going to Germany this year and want to have faith in the screen at Autobahn speeds.

Timo50

Reaction score
Strange, I'm 5'9 and have the screen in the lowest position, I have no noise or buffeting at all.

Whoppy

Reaction score
Tracer touring screen

Hi Paul. You do not need any plastic screws, just take the screen off then you see the back plate. The plate has four large bolts with screwdriver heads, the top two bolts on this back plate is where you want the spacers to go behind, it is easier to slacken the bottom two as well. You will need longer bolts for the top two, which i found in my garage. Hope this helps. Whoppy.

Paul

Reaction score
Hi Paul. You do not need any plastic screws, just take the screen off then you see the back plate. The plate has four large bolts with screwdriver heads, the top two bolts on this back plate is where you want the spacers to go behind, it is easier to slacken the bottom two as well. You will need longer bolts for the top two, which i found in my garage. Hope this helps. Whoppy.
Cheers for that

J.J.B.

Reaction score
Strange, I'm 5'9 and have the screen in the lowest position, I have no noise or buffeting at all.
Maybe this is what I need to try. I was worried there was sonething wrong with my helmet initially, the noise was so bad over around 50mph. I'm going to lower it right now!

J.J.B.

Reaction score
Maybe this is what I need to try. I was worried there was sonething wrong with my helmet initially, the noise was so bad over around 50mph. I'm going to lower it right now!
Well, that was even worse! So what do you think I should try next, smaller 'flip' screen or taller 'touring' screen?

Rick01

Reaction score
Well, that was even worse! So what do you think I should try next, smaller 'flip' screen or taller 'touring' screen?
Hi J.J.B I test road a Tracer and hated the noise from the screen so I asked the dealer if he would remove the screen and what a difference it made so when my new Tracer arrives I will be cutting down the screen to just above the instruments. Try going for a lap with no screen and see what you think.
Cheers Rick

trevorleigh

Reaction score
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&d=1427536162

I've got zero patience, so I caught a break in the rain to have a quick test run.
I was using my Shark Raw helmet as I thought that would show up more wind issues compared to my Schuberth C3 Pro.
Also, we've got 20-30mph wind gusts today.

First part of the run was along an A-road with trees on either side, so this might have cut the windy conditions down a bit. Would have been a bit of a tail wind.
Low speeds (30-40mph) were absolutely fine. No wind or turbulence.
I noticed on a recent run with the stock screen, that the wind noise would make you think you were doing a pretty high speed, then you look down and you're only doing 65mph.
On my test, I was looking down and thinking "am I really going that fast!".
Helmet was just going through clean air, so only noise was what you would expect with the type of helmet.

I also play music through earbuds to cancel out wind noise.
With the stock screen, the music would be drowned out at around 70mph.
I got a fair bit over 70mph and I could still sing along to my favourite songs.

The run back was in to a bit of a side wind.
I was still able to get the speed up and enjoy the music.
I did feel the wind resistance on my shoulders though...but that's a whole lot better than being deaf.

So, I think I'm gonna keep the small screen on.
My commute to work in normal conditions will be the real test.

I do think it suits the bike too.

This review is sponsored by 'Powerbronze'. Manufacturers of fine aftermarket accessories....only kidding
I totally agree, the little Powerbronze screen is the way to go, I am 5ft 8 and there is hardly any noise at speed of up to 70mph, (on the motorway of course)
and I thing it looks much better too!

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
I've found the ultimate wind noise solution.
It's one I think will apply to any bike you will ever ride.

My frustration led to me buying the Powerbronze touring screen...so that's 4 screens I've got now!
I think it was the best option, but still getting distracting wind noise.
To be honest I think this has become a search for perfection that doesn't exist. I was out on my R1 for the first time in months and realised that wind noise is just a fact of biking.

So it's not the fault of the Tracer.
Sure, the standard and official tall screen are just rubbish, but there had to be a better and more comprehensive solution

...and there is:
Custom moulded earplugs

They may seem expensive, but having got myself a pair and discovered how effective they are...I think they were a bargain.

as a foot note:
If you think custom earplugs are an option for you, don't waste your time with the home kits you can get online...they just don't compare, trust me.

Fuerstenberger

Reaction score
wind tunnel

I too had severe wind noise. I was intrigued by the fact that there was loads of noise but limited buffeting. I set up a sort of wind tunnel in my garage. After a few hours testing I noticed that the problem is not with the wind going over the top. It appears it does indeed go up and over a person up to 6ft 2in. I didn't have a taller model. The problem appears to be the wind coming round the side of the screen. What appears to happen is that as the speed increases, two wind eddies, like mini tornados, hit the rider in the lower stomach and move up the body and hit the helmet directly under the ears. I stuck some sheeting on the sides of the screen and went for a test ride. The noise reduction was brilliant, almost silent. I had to be careful as the German Police are out and about today and it isn't a TÜV´d screen. The conclusion to be drawn from my amateur findings is that the screen needs to be wider.
I have come from a Tiger 1050. I so wanted to buy another Trumpet, but the Tracer just fits me perfectly. Once I have sorted the wind noise, this bike will be a keeper. It really is a great bike to ride.

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
I too had severe wind noise. I was intrigued by the fact that there was loads of noise but limited buffeting. I set up a sort of wind tunnel in my garage. After a few hours testing I noticed that the problem is not with the wind going over the top. It appears it does indeed go up and over a person up to 6ft 2in. I didn't have a taller model. The problem appears to be the wind coming round the side of the screen. What appears to happen is that as the speed increases, two wind eddies, like mini tornados, hit the rider in the lower stomach and move up the body and hit the helmet directly under the ears. I stuck some sheeting on the sides of the screen and went for a test ride. The noise reduction was brilliant, almost silent. I had to be careful as the German Police are out and about today and it isn't a TÜV´d screen. The conclusion to be drawn from my amateur findings is that the screen needs to be wider.
I have come from a Tiger 1050. I so wanted to buy another Trumpet, but the Tracer just fits me perfectly. Once I have sorted the wind noise, this bike will be a keeper. It really is a great bike to ride.
This is really interesting.
So it seems that screen functionality has been traded off in favour of having the fancy hand-guards?

Fuerstenberger

Reaction score
You are probaly right Boab. What annoys me is that this is clearly a great motorbike. With a tad more design on something as essential as a screen, the bike would be excellent. Equally annoying is, that if I can discover the faults of the current screen using a Heath Robinson wind tunnel, then surely Yamaha could, given their resources. None of the aftermarket screens I have looked at appear to be wide enough at the bottom, so I am going to get the same problem. The only alternative is to chop my screen down, not a problem in England, but here in Germany I will be fined for having a non TÜV'd screen. It's that or damage my hearing. Also, if I chop my screen down, does that nulify the warranty? For example if there is water ingress in the clocks, will they blame the chopped down screen?

Cobweb

Reaction score
I ridden a lot of these type of "semi-touring" bikes and never found one that had a screen that worked. It was always a trade off between wind blast and buffeting and even the screen on my BMW 1200GS was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Also fitting a taller screen never worked for me either and I always ended up fitting a shorter sport touring screen to get some clean air around my helmet so I guess that's what I'll end up doing with my Tracer as well.

Rick01

Reaction score
I cut my screen down to just above the dash and fitted spacers to the bottom bolts to lay the screen flatter it works for me no more buffeting like a flapping tarp.

J.J.B.

Reaction score
I fitted the PowerBronze touring screen and all it seemed to achieve was allowing me to stoop less onto the tank in order to find calmer air. That's £75 I'll never see again. What a POS. For a bike that's amazing in so many other ways this is really crap. Next option (as I was advised to try earlier) is to remove the screen entirely and see how I get on with that, possibly opting for a small 'flip' screen option. *sigh*

AvonDrei

Reaction score
Got some questions from a US-forum. Can anyone provide the information?

"I emailed Powerbronze to get dimensions for their shorty screen. No reply. I'm not willing to buy a screen on anecdotal info.
I bought the short Cal Sci and at 5'6" found it as miserable as the OEM. I have read the height of the screen is not the entire issue in regard to the noise level.
Do you have any info about how tall it is from the mounting screws? Overall length is pretty meaningless sometimes"

Some more request: "If you can get the dimensions from a UK member for the Powerbronze Adventure sport (shorty) please ask them to measure from the center of the top mounting screw to the middle center of the screen. That is the length of screen going to matter to the rider height.
Thanks"

Read more: Thoughts on this awful wind noise | FJ-09 Forums
Read more: Thoughts on this awful wind noise | FJ-09 Forums

Last edited: