Tracer non-standard screen adjustment for wind noise

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
Hi, have not got my bike at work today so cannot provide exact measurement at the moment, however, did you see my post "The joy of short screens" in the Tracer modifications forum?

The Powerbronze screen is shorter below the screws as well as above. When adjusted to the lowest position the top of the screen is approximately 4 inches above the top or the instrument case.

Hope this is helpful...

Cobweb

Reaction score

moocher

Reaction score
little screen bodge

screen chop2.jpg

Hate the screen as it is too noisy and produces too much buffeting

I cut out a shape from a sheet of ally and made something smaller. ( cost me nowt)

This is a fist go and will need some tidying

Road test show it is a big improvement over the factory fitted job.

Some more pretty edging and the jobs a good 'un.

CHR15

Reaction score
Screen No 4 fits the bill

I have found a screen that seems to be quieter than the other ive tried. I got if from Germany off ebay and its so much quieter that the standard screen and the power bronze touring screen I tried. I did also buy a short screen which was by the quietest.

Details about Windshield Touring Ermax Yamaha MT-09 Tracer 2015 light smoke

Tracerscreen.jpg

Sibbo46

Reaction score
Puig Vario screen

Hi guys, just thought I'd let you know I've just fitted a PUIG Vario Screen (search it on fleabay). I had the yamaha tall screen which was noisy and ugly - noisier than the standard screen.
As I do a lot of motorway miles I needed something more effective (and less ugly). I think this is about as good as its going to get - I can listen to music over my intercom at 70mph no problem, I can ride at 60 with my schuberth C3 flipped up and the rain protection is massively improved. Buffeting is non existent and only seem to get wind noise from very strong cross winds?
One possible downside is there is no longer any airflow through my helmet vents, so helmet gets quite warm and mists around the outside of the pinlock on cold humid mornings.
Having px,d a K1200GT BMW for the Tracer I have to say that the PUIG screen is very effective as long as you are sat fairly central on the bike, and because it has some form it also doesn't look out of proportion (especially since fitting a Givi V47 top box). Oh, by the way i'm about 5' 9'.

Texx920

Reaction score
Screen set up that works for me at 6'3"

Thanks for all the info guys!
I have raked my standard screen with 2 spacer nuts (about 10mm) under longer bottom bolts on back mounting plate.

In the lowest position the wind blast run just over my shoulders and there's no buffeting noise. I manage the wind noise with foam earplugs cut across at angle to reduce theireffective length by about 50% whilst still being removable! With this set up I can enjoy my helmet bluetooth at faster than motorway speeds and still get decent weather protection.

I'm really pleased with this set up and will try the tall Yamy screen racked like this soon. I'm hoping it will shake less.

Loving the Tracer after 12k especially with the Pirelli GTs on ?. May put a steering damper on one day...

Cheers ?

paullypips

Reaction score
Hi guys, just thought I'd let you know I've just fitted a PUIG Vario Screen (search it on fleabay). I had the yamaha tall screen which was noisy and ugly - noisier than the standard screen.
As I do a lot of motorway miles I needed something more effective (and less ugly). I think this is about as good as its going to get - I can listen to music over my intercom at 70mph no problem, I can ride at 60 with my schuberth C3 flipped up and the rain protection is massively improved. Buffeting is non existent and only seem to get wind noise from very strong cross winds?
One possible downside is there is no longer any airflow through my helmet vents, so helmet gets quite warm and mists around the outside of the pinlock on cold humid mornings.
Having px,d a K1200GT BMW for the Tracer I have to say that the PUIG screen is very effective as long as you are sat fairly central on the bike, and because it has some form it also doesn't look out of proportion (especially since fitting a Givi V47 top box). Oh, by the way i'm about 5' 9'.
I'm thinking of buying a new screen and the PUIG Vario seems to get good reviews. How are you getting on with it, are you still pleased?

Sibbo46

Reaction score
Sorry I've been absent for a while but I can vouch for the vario screen. I,m just coming up to 6k miles mostly motorway commute. I can have a phone conversation via my headset at 80mph, easily hear my music, no head buffeting ( I'm about 5' 9. )

Toine

Reaction score
Thought about getting another screen too, but first experimented a bit with the screen angle.
Jus like one of the previous contributors, I added a spacer (10mm) and it improved the riding comfort a lot...
Then I took it a bit further and added another spacer (20 mm) for a total fo 30 mm.
Now it is exactly as I want it: no pressure to the chest and nice clean air flow above.

looks.jpg spacers.jpg

Texx920

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Madstad adjustable screen? HPS who sell them in the UK said they have sold some to Tracer owners here but I haven't been able to find any feedback.

Boycey

Reaction score
Wind noise

Hi folks. This is my first post on here. I have a MT Tracer for just over a year now. The wind noise and buffeting was horrendous! I tried two aftermarket screens,
both of which made no difference, in fact the Powerbronze one was even worse than the stock screen. I also tried the modification using tap washers, it was an
improvement, but still not great. I have now bought a Puig touring screen, the one with the little extra visor. It has totally transformed the bike! Virtually no noise
or buffeting! Im six foot tall, I dont have to crouch to get out of the wind, the screen just works. It actually looks quite good as well. I would have saved a few quid
if I had tried this first, it was the most expensive by far, but it was well worth it.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Hi folks. This is my first post on here. I have a MT Tracer for just over a year now. The wind noise and buffeting was horrendous! I tried two aftermarket screens,
both of which made no difference, in fact the Powerbronze one was even worse than the stock screen. I also tried the modification using tap washers, it was an
improvement, but still not great. I have now bought a Puig touring screen, the one with the little extra visor. It has totally transformed the bike! Virtually no noise
or buffeting! Im six foot tall, I dont have to crouch to get out of the wind, the screen just works. It actually looks quite good as well. I would have saved a few quid
if I had tried this first, it was the most expensive by far, but it was well worth it.
Boycey were did you get your puig screen & what model is it? If its off ebay whats the item number? Thankyou.

stofer

Reaction score
I installed Givi DT2122 touring screen. Tall, wide, and gives great wind protection.
Noise reduced considerably. Wind pressure reduce so much I can ride with the helmet visor open at any speed.
Bugs splats on th ehelmet reduced also...

Shaun64

Reaction score
I fitted my puig touring screen with out visor today and its made a big difference to noise levels,it also looks good in light tint the only problem is puig in there instructions say you need to remove the top hand gaurd so when you turn to full lock it dosnt hit the screen,i found you can leave them on if the screen is at its lowest setting but on middle and highist setting it catchs,i am 5'8 and i think the screen will be fine for me on the lowest setting if i find it isnt i will have to take them off or cut the ones that are on,what have the rest have you done with your hand gaurds and puig touring screen?.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have tried a few different screens too, for everyday use I have a small Ermax screen, but like somthing bigger for touring, the power bronze touring one for me is quieter, but the top of the screen moves a lot (1 or 2 inches) when on the move! How is the Puig screen for movement at normal riding speeds, I see it comes with a modified support bracket?

Shaun64

Reaction score
I have tried a few different screens too, for everyday use I have a small Ermax screen, but like somthing bigger for touring, the power bronze touring one for me is quieter, but the top of the screen moves a lot (1 or 2 inches) when on the move! How is the Puig screen for movement at normal riding speeds, I see it comes with a modified support bracket?
Its moves but only 5mm when static and the same when on the move(mines the puig touring screen without spoiler ) i can do upto 80 with my helmet visor up,the big thing for me was noise reduction.

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
Hello
Been a while since I've been on here. Good to see that the wind noise/screen debate continues.
I'm just on for an update on some of my recent tinkering.

I have a selection of 5 screens.
The 2 factory ones, another 2 aftermarket of a similar size to the standard screen and a small flat screen that covers just above the dash.
The small screen was the best it got. No buffeting and reduced wind noise, but quite a bit of pressure on my chest at motorway speeds.
The other 4 - total garbage.

Was clearing out my garage recently and found a spare screen from one of my other bikes.
It's a smoked double bubble screen for a 2008 R1. It was spare cos I dropped the bike about 18 months ago and bought one of those chinese fairing kits. The screen came with that kit.

So I got my Dremel out, trimmed off all the attachement tabs, made a drill template and set about the screen with a 4mm drill.
It's literally a bit rough round the edges...but after a fair few test rides...the f**ker actually works!*

The turbulence is now at the top of my chest and around my shoulders...where I'd normally expect it.
Wind noise is vastly reduced and if I want to have a power blitz, I can tuck my head down a bit so the turbulence moves to near the top of my helmet.

(unfortunately I can't remember how to upload pictures)

*DISCLAIMER - This home made screen works for me. It may very well be total gash for anyone else

Attachments